ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

So long, guys...

Been on this forum for quite a while and have had many, many questions answered by you helpful folks, but I am now leaving you all for a Mercedes-Benz 2017 C300 coupe. Really loved my 2005 Z4, but as I had it for 11 years and it was getting somewhat difficult to get in and out of (age and a lot of joint replacements,) and I guess I also was in need of a change, I opted for some luxury over performance. Sold the car in near perfect shape with only 45K miles to some one in my community, so I still get to see my baby every now and then...bringing tears to my eyes. Although the C300 doesn't have the drive feel of the Z4, it still handles very nicely and is quite the looker in Lunar Blue with saddle brown seats. But all was not lost in my drive experience because, although not a soft-top, my 2013 ATS actually drives better than the Z4 and is now my BMW substitute. All the best to everyone. Adam
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Must have been tough to let her go, but sounds like the right thing for you.
Take care Adam.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Must have been tough to let her go, but sounds like the right thing for you.
Take care Adam.
Yeah, it was very, very tough, but it was time...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

All the best Adam!
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I got my Z4 AFTER two knee replacements. Best choice I've ever made.

But I understand, and Kudos on the ATS.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Safe driving in the Benz Adam,

have fun mate
      09-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

All the best buddy, enjoy the roads ahead.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Again guys, thanks for you well-wishes. And in return, the best to you all.
BTW, Just an interesting point. I now belong to a couple of MB forums and I must say that in terms of DIY stuff as compared to the BMW forums, MB folks are just not into it. I had put out some really simple questions and after 30-80 views, not one helpful reply. I find this to be very disappointing (particularly after getting some much help from the BMW forums.) Could be too many "fat cats" drive MBs and either aren't interested or just pay some one to do their work???

Adam

Last edited by Flycaster; 09-02-2016 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Adam,

This is the unfortunate reality of the MB community. I rarely get helpful advice/answers on those forums. There are definitely some very knowledgable people on those forums, but I can understand why they never speak up. -No one truly appreciates their time and help. I had one guy reply back and forth on a thread with me within 5 minutes of posting, but no one else really thanked them for fixing a similar problem they had. So I could see why they don't speak up much, if no one appreciates/acknowledges help, why bother?
      09-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I really doubt there is as much passion involved in owning an MB compared to a Z.
Maybe this has an affect on wanting to get their hands dirty.

I have a brother who owns an SL500AMG from the mid 2000's, admittedly it is quick but very Teutonic. Does not really excite visually.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

MB did a great job with the new C300 coupe, nice choice!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
Again guys, thanks for you well-wishes. And in return, the best to you all.
BTW, Just an interesting point. I now belong to a couple of MB forums and I must say that in terms of DIY stuff as compared to the BMW forums, MB folks are just not into it. I had put out some really simple questions and after 30-80 views, not one helpful reply. I find this to be very disappointing (particularly after getting some much help from the BMW forums.) Could be too many "fat cats" drive MBs and either aren't interested or just pay some one to do their work???

Adam
I think there are a few things at play here: Folks buying a newer Merc do have money, some are in it for the marque--and this can be a big one--they simply don't have the time.

Kids, spouse, aging parents, job responsibilities (to make the $$$ for the car), and so on can catch up with you. To be honest, I've found myself paying to have work done in the past couple of years. I don't like it, I feel a bit guilty, I enjoy doing my own work--but the alternative to paying is never getting the work done. Time is the one thing I don't have in as much abundance as I did 6-8 years ago.

The Z is a niche car, and attracts a certain kind of buyer. DIY, enthusiast, hobbyist, technical experts/engineers--the demographics, particularly on this forum, are way skewed in that direction.

Not that this make it any better, but it may offer insight. In any case, I hope you enjoy the new ride and the roads ahead.
Appreciate 0