ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

M Coupe prices are far too cheap!

Guys lets really think about this. With the build numbers of these cars what we own is pretty rare car. Then think of it this way "IF" you sold the car, and wanted to replace it with something that performs as well what are you going to have to spend, and what are your options!
The first thing that comes to my mind is the new M2, having driven one its an amazing car. IF you can find one they are costing at the least $54,000
Maybe you look at a Camaro Z28 and the price is even more and 2 years from now you have another Camaro
SO you say what about the Mustang GT 350R, again a price of $75k+ and you are driving another Mustang that every 18 yr. old kid drives.
Ok Corvette.ZR1/Z06 is another $80k car, great car but how many of these things does Chevrolet make!
Alfa Romeo 4c is $55 starting price and TINY car. You go to the Giulia and its a big car and $85k and you get that WONDERFUL Alfa Romeo build history and quality
and to me last is the Porsche Cayman GT4 the perfect replacement, $85k IF you can find one, rally more like $100 used

Yes the 2006's are 10 years old but I have had people asking about me selling mine and several have said the same thing. "These are a bargain at $26k used for the performance in them, being normally aspirated, a manual shift, and few built."
I did just spend a butt load of money repairing mine and was thinking of selling it until I looked hard at with the options were on the replacements!
I think I'll just hang on to the old girl!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Couldn't have Said it better myself!
      08-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

That's why I haven't sold mine. Not worth selling it and spending an additional 30-50K on top of what I sell it for just to buy something faster and better.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I wouldn't mind picking up another car as a supplement to the MZ4 Coupe...Something like the Mustang 350GT or a base C7 that I wouldn't mind thrashing occasionally. But it would be in addition to the MZ4 Coupe, not to replace it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

These cars are either currently in the hands of the guys that will keep it or others that are looking for one.

The demographic group for this car different but the psychographics are unique within its segment.

Guy's and ladies that are attracted to this type of car are a different breed.

Wether it's the shape, handling, engine, the way the suspension is set up, the way the car rotates and the feeling it imparts on the driver through seat of the pants and sound in the rev range or the whole package resonates with them on some level is different.

Replacing it with something else is easy but the way it feels and how a driver connects with it cannot.

And that is mostly because this type of car is no longer produced by BMW.

The E85 M Roaster and E86 M Coupe were the essentially the last analog BMW M cars.

In an era of forced induction, electronic steering, buttons to change mapping and so many acronyms to denote all of the driver aids one cannot keep them all straight.

A car that is ten years old, made in very small numbers and has an honest to goodness BMW M GmbH designed and built engine residing under the long hood that is still revered should make one want to hold on to it as long as possible. Keep your car!
Appreciate 2
KevinM2935.50
krusty23.00
      08-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I hope this is true for Z4m track cars too Lolol. No turning back anymore. Although I don't plan to sell it ever. I even consider one day putting an s65
      08-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Anyone selling a coupe?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
I've already told my wife, the next car I purchase will be the same car in an m and a different color. But will not part ways with the coupe, it's my first true love lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

My thoughts on this matter.........

I think that the M Coupe should hold a special place in automotive history. More so than the M roadster. It's just cosmetically so much different. The roadster you see that "form" in so many other roadsters from other manufacturers. I don't believe it gets the same sort of emotional reaction. I think the roadster gets lost in the crowd and when you see it. It's just *Meeeh* visually in it's stock form. It doesn't punch you in the face like an M coupe. That to me makes the Coupe a more desirable piece and if you're chasing a purchase with those values, it's the way to go.

Now, with that being said, does that put the M roadster off in the back lot, forgotten about?? Too often those "special" forgotten about vehicles bounce back and draw insane prices off in a distant future as well. Those sleeper cars that at first don't look like much.

On another note, I use to own an '89 E30 M3. Sold it about 5 years ago which was a galactic mistake. They are speculating that one in Japan with zero mileage is going to fetch a million dollars at the auctions shortly. Mind you, I didn't buy mine as a garage queen........ but still.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I love my car and have no interest in getting rid of it right now but of course I am heavily biased as a current owner. I also think the list above, comparing a close to or over 10 year old car with what is available new is crazy.

I can see the outside buyer considering a 2005-2007 911 for the mid to high $30k's. When comparing new prices, all of these 911's were sold for a large amount more than the M's. Quick search on Autotrader for 2005-08 manual 911's, less than $40k, shows there are 146 for sale. There are other options.
      08-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I also think you have to realizes we look at them with VERY jaded opinions. When I started looking for a car to replace my twin turbo Z a few years ago, I knew I would be taking a big step down in power, but with my age I was ok with that. I wanted a convertible for sure (ttops get old fast) and I always kind of liked the looks of the S2000. I looked at them for about a year, but everyone I found was either totally ragged out or super over priced. Even the over priced ones did not thrill me to drive as much as I liked the looks of them. I then went to look at yet another rag and there was a Z4 on the lot. I had never even looked or considered them, but I was there and I drove it. The S2000 was off the list before I got back. Car was many time more solid to drive and with the top up actually felt like a real car - not a convertible with a tarp over it. Power top made it all that much nicer and I went home and started reading up and made my list to look for and found one with 98% of my list and bought it. I feel like I paid 100% for it - maybe even 105%, but it was in good shape, ran great and was the first one I found with almost all my check boxes checked. I have never regretted it.

Even when I bought it I was not crazy about the clownish big round nose - made worse by a higher ride height in the front (since corrected with shocks, springs, and pads) and the tucked in wheels (also corrected with spacers). I had never even seen a coup till I bought mine and joined here. I thought they were ugly except the rear end on the M with the dual exhaust and fatter tire and stance.

Since owning my car (which I love to drive by the way) I have really warmed up to the charms of it and those same things have transferred over to the coupe which I actually like now.

I guess what I am saying is that can be an acquired taste. Had I never test drove one they would have continued to have passed me on the road without me even noticing them. Now my eye is trained to see them.

If I had never drove one and was looking to spend $35-$50K on a flash car that is fun to drive (especially one that is 10-15 years old) - I would never have even considered a Z4. I think a lot of people are like me too. I still don't get 1/4 the comments I used to get when I took my TT out. That is not why I own the car (the drive itself is what it is all about), but it does tell you what people notice and what they do not. I have never had a person say "you wanna sell her? How much?" like I did with the TT about 50% of the time I drove it too.

They are an iceberg car - you only see a little bit of what it is like to own one when you look at it. You have to drive it to see what all is under the water line. Even then, they are so mild mannered that they are deceivingly quick. When I bought it I told myself that my TT would eat it alive, but the more I drove it and paid attention to corner speeds I started realizing that this was not the case. In a straight line - yes, no question (not a fair comparison anyway), but when I got comfortable and compared the speeds in corners, there was no comparison. I am sure an M would make that no contest.

I am a convert and glad I am - but am new enough to the Kool Aid to remember how they were not even on my radar (car guy my whole life) before that chance encounter. How many miss that chance?
      08-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I love my car and have no interest in getting rid of it right now but of course I am heavily biased as a current owner. I also think the list above, comparing a close to or over 10 year old car with what is available new is crazy.

I can see the outside buyer considering a 2005-2007 911 for the mid to high $30k's. When comparing new prices, all of these 911's were sold for a large amount more than the M's. Quick search on Autotrader for 2005-08 manual 911's, less than $40k, shows there are 146 for sale. There are other options.
The P car is great, in fact I had one before my Z4MC, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 911. I think the thing I love about the Z is it's unique. People always want to know what it is, and it always gets positive remarks. Sure a 911 or Cayman may be quicker and better handling but they are almost commonplace.

I sometimes think I'll get another 911, I'd love an old 993 but they are getting really expensive now, and I can't help but feel the same with happen with the Z4MC.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I really think there is a bubble on the way. Relatively low production numbers, manual, one of the last NA I-6s, high revs, rigid-lightweight, extremely track-able, and while to many it's objective I have yet to hear someone say the Z4M isn't beautiful. If I had the money, there would be one parked in my living room.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

My only concern with Coupe prices, is that if it shoots up like E30 M3 and MZ3 Coupe prices, I might be tempted enough to actually CONSIDER selling it. If it hits say, $60-70K range for a low mileage, clean example in the next 3-5 years I might think hard about keeping it.

Right now, at mid 20s to low 30s for a good example I'm not even entertaining the thought. Someone were to offer me $60K now? It may take me about the time it takes to hit 60mph to say no. If it's fetching re-cockulous prices like the E30 M3? For a 10 year old car? I might have to pull the "let me think about it and get back to you" card.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan703.00
      08-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster
I really think there is a bubble on the way. Relatively low production numbers, manual, one of the last NA I-6s, high revs, rigid-lightweight, extremely track-able, and while to many it's objective I have yet to hear someone say the Z4M isn't beautiful. If I had the money, there would be one parked in my living room.
I would say your hunch or foresight is correct as I see a surging market for M cars in the near future.

Not all of them but ones that are unloved by the general unknowing public.

Certain E36 M3's (95 w/pre-OBD 1) which is almost impossible to find not half dead due to many owners.

The E85 M Roadster (last analog BMW and 3,041 for North America). Manual only and raw.

The E86 M Coupe with its unique looks and style and small production run for North American market (1,815 units 06-08). Manual only with the last naturally aspirated in-line 6 cylinder engine conceived, designed and built by BMW M GmbH.

Low mileage, great condition with good colors will be already highly desirable.

The E34 M5 with later engine.

Expect the E36/7 M Roadster and the E36/8 M Coupe with the S54 to start creeping up again (01-02 production.

The E64 M6 Cabriolet with the 6-speed manual is to new and its looks can be polarizing.

But with only 376 total units ever produced for the North America only and under hood is four-time International Engine of The Year Award-winning S85B50 V10 there is much want, at least by me.

The E46 M3 is already creeping up and is still the modern BMW that sent the car world ablaze.

The vaunted E39 M5 with the legendary S62 sent everyone back to the drawing board because it was and in many cases still is the quintessential sports sedan.

BMW was smoking the entire industry when they simultaneously were building the E39 M5 and the E46 M3.

It was an amazing time to be a BMW fan in the early 2000's.

Find your dream BMW!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I've owned mine for about 3 1/2 years and when I bought it people said the price was going to go up. I haven't seen any significant change one way or the other, maybe it dropped a little, purchased it for $31k with about 32k miles.
      08-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
It always amazes me how coupe owners think/act like the M Roadster is common place. They only made 3041 of them for the North American market.... yea I know it's not 1815, but it's far from mass production numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Prices will go up, but not anytime soon. E28/30 M prices started to climb only a few years ago so we have another 10-15 years ahead of us.

The curve doesn't look promising though. Going by Hagerty numbers, a "good" example of E30 M is currently valued at slightly below original MSRP (adjusted for inflation). The E28 M is at about 40% original MSRP. If I were to guess I'd put Z4MC's appreciation curve somewhere in between but maybe closer to E28, given similar rarity and lack of the legendary status of E30. Obviously these cars will continue to appreciate, but this means even longer wait and pretty small gains.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      08-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Prices will go up, but not anytime soon. E28/30 M prices started to climb only a few years ago so we have another 10-15 years ahead of us.

The curve doesn't look promising though. Going by Hagerty numbers, a "good" example of E30 M is currently valued at slightly below original MSRP (adjusted for inflation). The E28 M is at about 40% original MSRP. If I were to guess I'd put Z4MC's appreciation curve somewhere in between but maybe closer to E28, given similar rarity and lack of the legendary status of E30. Obviously these cars will continue to appreciate, but this means even longer wait and pretty small gains.
I agree with this. Throw 30k in the market and let that grow. Enjoy the car, it's not going to make you rich.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I agree with this. Throw 30k in the market and let that grow. Enjoy the car, it's not going to make you rich.
Well said. Someone else can preserve their MC for me to buy at a later date with my investment gains while I'm enjoying mine now
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      08-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Agreed with most of the statements made (roadies have their place too...), and that there's unlikely to be any significant appreciation for 15+ years. There's simply too much supply right now to support that; it's not difficult to find one of these. Further, the Z isn't the icon the e30 M3 is (deservedly or not), and it won't see the same increase in value IMO. I swear, on every list I see of "Top 10 BMW's" or "Best M Cars" the f'ing Z is never mentioned. Forgotten? Unloved? Perhaps it's because the M3 crowd is a zillion times larger, or maybe the quirks we find endearing are perceived differently to others. Who knows. I forget where I was going with this, thanks pot
      08-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I would say your hunch or foresight is correct as I see a surging market for M cars in the near future.

Not all of them but ones that are unloved by the general unknowing public.

Certain E36 M3's (95 w/pre-OBD 1) which is almost impossible to find not half dead due to many owners.

The E85 M Roadster (last analog BMW and 3,041 for North America). Manual only and raw.

The E86 M Coupe with its unique looks and style and small production run for North American market (1,815 units 06-08). Manual only with the last naturally aspirated in-line 6 cylinder engine conceived, designed and built by BMW M GmbH.

Low mileage, great condition with good colors will be already highly desirable.

The E34 M5 with later engine.

Expect the E36/7 M Roadster and the E36/8 M Coupe with the S54 to start creeping up again (01-02 production.

The E64 M6 Cabriolet with the 6-speed manual is to new and its looks can be polarizing.

But with only 376 total units ever produced for the North America only and under hood is four-time International Engine of The Year Award-winning S85B50 V10 there is much want, at least by me.

The E46 M3 is already creeping up and is still the modern BMW that sent the car world ablaze.

The vaunted E39 M5 with the legendary S62 sent everyone back to the drawing board because it was and in many cases still is the quintessential sports sedan.

BMW was smoking the entire industry when they simultaneously were building the E39 M5 and the E46 M3.

It was an amazing time to be a BMW fan in the early 2000's.

Find your dream BMW!
All true, if I only had a time machine... Those cars are incredible value for money as an enthusiasts car, even with maintenance in mind.
Appreciate 0