ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
RichB2006Z4M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Winter Snow Tires in NJ

Greetings to the forum,

At least this time I got the post in the right spot....................

Living in northern NJ with my Z4M Roadster makes the necessity for snows a reality and a requirement.

My original plan was to buy a second set of rims for the Z and have a set of snows (all 4 wheels) put on and have an easy transition - take the "summer" tires off and put the winter ones on.

Then reality dose number one intruded. I was looking at some low cost rims from Tire Rack at roughly $165 per wheel. Was warned away from them due to their offshore manufacture.

Can't afford much more on the rims so I decided to go to plan B which is to dismount the summer tires and mount the snows on the stock rims. Doesnt seem like a bad choice since if I am going to buy rims at some point will probably want them for the spring-summer-fall and use the stock rims for the winter.

Had my mind all made up to purchase the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 (Performance Snow) but then had reality dose number two when I called to order them and found out that after these are gone there aint no more. What if I lose a tire I wont be able to find a replacement. Didnt seem to make much sense so I changed my mind and ordered the below.

2 225/45R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 XL
2 255/40R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 XL

Figured that the H speed rating wont be a problem for me.

So now the above are on the way and I begin to question myself.

Did I do the right thing?

Anyone have any input or reassurance to offer?

Thanks as always & Regards

BTW - the good news is that my daily commute is about 2 miles so in the worst case could really walk it if needed. Anyone know of a sleddog rental agency for those really bad days?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i did just that, bought some extra M wheels for $500 and mounted dunlop snows to them... car drive pretty well in the snow. i live on a big hill, there is some fishtailing ... but they get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
i did just that, bought some extra M wheels for $500 and mounted dunlop snows to them... car drive pretty well in the snow. i live on a big hill, there is some fishtailing ... but they get the job done.
Where did you get an extra set of M wheels? e90post member?
Appreciate 0