ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

As was with my Miatas, the roadster is quieter with the top down than with it up. And either I'm just getting used to a louder car again or it's breaking in because it doesn't sound as loud as it did when I first installed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
elerner61
Major
Rep

I'm almost two weeks further down the road (ha!) now with my Stromungs and it seems they've definitely gotten a little quieter above 2.5K rpm. Below 2.5K they still have that low-end growl. Overall, very pleased and my experience with Scott was a good one. I would recommend ordering via placing a phone call and not via the web page.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Yes, I agree that they seem to quiet down a bit as they "break in", which is curious because I bought mine used, so it may have something to do with the deposits on the couplers or something??

I installed an AFE intake recently and the balance is really nice; low end "burble" from the exhaust, high end induction scream from the intake. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

glad u like the combination. stromung sounds really good
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Just installed my set of Stromungs yesterday. I've got only about 40 minutes of top down seat time with them. They sound very nice. Time will tell if I wish they were a touch quieter, my Miata before my //M was supercharged and somewhat loud. The last 16 mths with my stock exhaust were a nice change, but I really missed hearing my car. I put a good amount of time (and some $$) into upgrading my stereo and I hope that was not all for naught. Maybe I just should have hacked my iPod to mix in the soundtrack from someone else's Stromung's a-la an M5!
I just checked the Stromung website and the only exhaust they have listed for the Z4M is for the Coupe. Do they or did they have a separate one for the Roadster?

I just heard one on a black Z4 M Coupe at an autocross yesterday (itdnwiwbp, was that you?) and it sounded pretty sweet. Hard to beat for the price!

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR

I just checked the Stromung website and the only exhaust they have listed for the Z4M is for the Coupe. Do they or did they have a separate one for the Roadster?

I just heard one on a black Z4 M Coupe at an autocross yesterday (itdnwiwbp, was that you?) and it sounded pretty sweet. Hard to beat for the price!
Coupe and Roadster exhausts are the same. I bought a used set off a forum member who owns a coupe and mines a roadster, and I had no fitment issues. Very happy with mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

I'm thinking of having someone put a new exhaust in my Z4 MR to make it sound a bit beefier. It's the only downside to this car IMO, is that it doesnt have the sort of "V8" grumble to it. A few questions...

- for those of you that did this on your own, is it difficult? Welding involved?

- why pay $895 (plus labor for me most likely) for this exhaust vs. a Magnaflow or something else that's less expensive. If all I want is a little grumble when I hit the gas, can I get that for a few hundred bucks vs. a grand? For all I know this Stromung this is the best thing since sliced bread...but why?

- my Dad had headers and Magnaflow exhaust put on his C5 Vette and it sounds great. He feels adding headers would really help improve the sound of the 6 cylinder in the Z4. Anyone do this? Results? Costs? My Dad said he paid <$1k for the headers and exhaust.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #30
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^^ if you are just replacing the cans, then: no, it isn't hard, and you don't need to weld anything. The difference between all the exhaust options is the sound and the level of drone. I first got some RE Diablos, but they were too loud (drone) for me. The drone is just annoying under load below 3k.

If you are looking to do more of the exhaust, like mid section, headers, etc then it is considerably more work, I can't attest to it because I haven't done it. With headers, you need to be careful because in some cases there are complications with the O2 sensors, etc.

What you will find with the BMW aftermarket is that things are generally more expensive...at least for the Z4M. Because the production numbers were so low, there is limited demand (and thereby suppliers), so the costs are higher.

I ended up going with the Stromung exhaust because I didn't want excessive drone and added an AFE intake, and for me the car sounds great now. The sound is subjective though, so you may want more. There are a lot of guys here that run headers, x-pipes, cans, intakes. Lots of good info here.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #31
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

@ SD Z4MR: Nope, I'm IB too! And currently in Alaska. I'd rather be autocrossing!
      10-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Coupe and Roadster exhausts are the same. I bought a used set off a forum member who owns a coupe and mines a roadster, and I had no fitment issues. Very happy with mine.
I had actually already sent an e-mail to Scott at Strömung asking him about this and he replied back that it should fit the Roadster. When I indicated to him that I found the info in this thread that their muffler set fits 2006-2008 Z4 M Coupes and Roadsters, he replied back and thanked me for the info, saying it was helpful, and offered me free shipping in exchange.

I spent a few minutes working on my wife to say yes, then called Scott and placed my order. He said that they will have to pull all the parts together and it should ship on Thursday via UPS Next Day so I'll have it on Friday! I guess that I'll be installing a new set of mufflers on Saturday!

Is there anything I need to buy, new bolts, gaskets, or anything else?

BTW, if anyone wants to know how Strömung is pronounced, click here.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Nope. One comes off, the other goes on. I think it came with new bolts but I don't think I used them.
      11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, as I indicated in my post from 10/30, I called Scott and ordered the exhaust. He said it would be shipped on Thursday, UPS Next Day, and I'd have it on Friday. He said he would e-mail me a shipping confirmation and tracking info. I had nothing planned last weekend and had all day both days to install the exhaust.

Friday afternoon I notice that my credit card had been charged but I still hadn't received an e-mail from him, so I called. No answer. I sent an e-mail which he answered Monday morning saying that the exhaust would ship that day and I would get the shipping info in the afternoon. No explanation, no apology, not sure why he charged my card before the exhaust actually shipped. Obviously no installation this past weekend.

I did get the shipping confirmation late on Monday afternoon saying that it was shipped and that it would be delivered yesterday. UPS usually delivers late in my neighborhood (after 8:00 PM a couple of weeks ago) so I really wasn't expecting to see it until late afternoon. It was "out for delivery" since 9:35 AM. 6:00 PM comes and I figure I'll go out in the garage, get the car on jacks, get the work light and all the tools laid out and I can do a quick swap as soon as it's delivered. Of course by now it's dark outside and getting cool. I go back into the house and notice that the UPS status is now "Forwarded to the facility in the destination city." WTF does that mean? I click on support, see "Live Chat" so I click on that. Live chat hours ended 10 minutes before (of course), but this screen shows me a different status, basically that it was returned to the facility and would be delivered Wednesday (today). WTF!! I go back out to the garage, let the car down, and put all the tools aside.

This morning I call UPS and ask how does a package that's on the truck, scheduled for delivery, get sent back to the facility and the delivery date postponed until the next day? The explanation was that there was an "error in the billing weight". So I asked, the package got sent back to the facility to be re-weighed? Yes, she said. Well, thanks a lot!

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the package was shipped with the incorrect weight, no one noticed it until the delivery driver went to move the package in his truck, and must have decided that it was way heavier than what was indicated, so he didn't deliver it and took it back to the UPS facility. As much as this sucked, the problem appeared to be with the shipper, not UPS. So if the package actually gets delivered today, it will have taken 9 days to receive from a company that's about an hour and a half drive from me. I really need to install the exhaust before Sunday for a local cruise, but now I have to try and squeeze it in between meetings and appointments.

There's an old thread from 2007 I think about a member who helped Strömung prototype the Z4 M exhaust. The member raves about the exhaust, promises videos, gets a group buy going, gets around 15 buyers, and then disappears. Communication from Strömung to the people who are in the group buy is practically non-existent, some people start trashing Strömung, shipping dates keep getting pushed back, people get cold feet and drop out, and the whole thread just basically dies. I don't know how many people ended up getting their muffler set from the group buy.

My experience is that communication from Strömung still sucks, they still promise shipping dates that they can't deliver on, and they apparently can't weigh a package correctly, which caused additional delay.

I really hope that I like this exhaust and I really hope that there's nothing wrong with it that would cause me to have to send it back.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 11-07-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I can't speak for the manufacturer, but in my "years", I've been jaded enough to think that a slip of two days isn't that big a deal. Didn't he offer you free shipping? I know you're raring to go on this, but patience wil go a long way.

I work with UPS every day, and they feed BS lines to me daily. I can assure you that if the driver had it on the truck he's not going to "eyeball" the weight and take it back. That is way above their pay grade.

My bet is that they f-ed up, and are trying to blame someone else so that they don't have to honor their delivery guarantee as per their fine print. Check the entered weight on the UPS label on the box when in arrives.

Can't promise that you'll like yours, but I have no regrets with mine. Install takes 45 mins, taking your time. Make sure you have all the necessary bolts (you can likely reuse the OEM ones). I made that mistake with my Diablos at first, had to do the job twice :/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #36
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I really hope that I like this exhaust and I really hope that there's nothing wrong with it that would cause me to have to send it back.
To be honest, I think you need to lighten up a little. I dealt with Scott almost totally on the phone (the Stromung website aint where he's spending his $$) Yeah, he said he would send me an email when it shipped out and I had to follow up on that. So what. He provides a nice product at a very competitive price point.

Instead of hitting "refresh" on the UPS website go out for some drives, hit the couch and listen to Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here straight through, hang out with a relative or friend, get out and smell some roses and stop spending time putting umlauts over the "O" in Stromung.

Last edited by elerner61; 11-07-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #37
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
I work with UPS every day, and they feed BS lines to me daily. I can assure you that if the driver had it on the truck he's not going to "eyeball" the weight and take it back. That is way above their pay grade.

My bet is that they f-ed up, and are trying to blame someone else so that they don't have to honor their delivery guarantee as per their fine print. Check the entered weight on the UPS label on the box when in arrives.

Can't promise that you'll like yours, but I have no regrets with mine. Install takes 45 mins, taking your time. Make sure you have all the necessary bolts (you can likely reuse the OEM ones). I made that mistake with my Diablos at first, had to do the job twice :/
The UPS driver just delivered the exhaust about half an hour before I have to leave for a meeting. He's the guy who usually delivers and we have a good relationship. I discussed the weird status change and the delivery being rescheduled to today. He also said that once something is on the truck they deliver it and they don't "re-weigh" stuff. Said he didn't see it yesterday but said that it might have gotten pulled for a "random audit". Oh well, chalk it up to UPS weirdness, although I get a lot of packages delivered and I've never seen that before.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have CONSTANT problems with nearly everything I order and completely horrible communication and customer service is the most common one. (Auto Solutions and UUC, so far, are the worst offenders by far.) I think you'll like the exhaust in the end though. Hope it puts a smile on your face by Sunday.