ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlogan33 View Post
=================================================
When I had my S54 Z3 M Coupe, I put lots of $$$ into upgrading the springs, shocks and 3.73 diff...and it did help my lap times @ Mid-Ohio, but the car was still hard to handle in some of the corners.

I got better lap times with my completely stock Z4 Coupe 3.0si than I did with the upgraded S54 Z3 M Coupe.

The only thing I did to the Z4 Coupe 3.0si was upgraded to BBS wheels and better tires and brakes.
When I did laps with track tires, the Z4 Coupe 3.0si was even better.

I knew what RPM range to keep the 3.0si in for the best performance and that helped.
It did require more shifting into lower/higher gears, while navigating the track.

What's nice about the S54 engine is that, because of its wide power range, it requires less shifting to lower/higher gears, so I can concentrate more in setting up for corners, braking and steering.

I'm looking forward to see how the Z4 M Coupe handles @ Mid-Ohio with track tires.

“A Need…for Speed”…:
That sounds about right. During my first day on the track, I keep my 3.0si in 4th gear which can usually get me the whole way around. Once I get familiar, I find myself heel toe'ng to 3rd when entering a turn and that usually leaves me some time to get into 5th towards the 2nd half of a long straight.
      10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #46
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Jesus. the point I am trying to make is that you can say that one car has a superior characteristic, without coming across like some egotistical, callous zealot. Your kind of condescending commentary serves to benefit nobody here. In fact, I know of several Z4 owners who have stopped posting here because of all the bashing of non M cars.

with respect to the steering, I don't know what you did to your non M cars, but on my SI, the steering is fine by me. The only pathetic thing here is your arrogant attitude.
Totally agree. I appreciate the M cars but lets keep this a Z board everyone can use. A little less MTosterone please....
      10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #47
djlogan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
=================================================
When I had my S54 Z3 M Coupe, I put lots of $$$ into upgrading the springs, shocks and 3.73 diff...and it did help my lap times @ Mid-Ohio, but the car was still hard to handle in some of the corners.

I got better lap times with my completely stock Z4 Coupe 3.0si than I did with the upgraded S54 Z3 M Coupe.

The only thing I did to the Z4 Coupe 3.0si was upgraded to BBS wheels and better tires and brakes.
When I did laps with track tires, the Z4 Coupe 3.0si was even better.

I knew what RPM range to keep the 3.0si in for the best performance and that helped.
It did require more shifting into lower/higher gears, while navigating the track.

What's nice about the S54 engine is that, because of its wide power range, it requires less shifting to lower/higher gears, so I can concentrate more in setting up for corners, braking and steering.

I'm looking forward to see how the Z4 M Coupe handles @ Mid-Ohio with track tires.

“A Need…for Speed”…:
================================================== ===
I had several people suggest I place it on Craigslist...so I did this morning...

I can hear them now:
• What’s a Z4?
• It only has a 6 cylinders?
• Would you take a F150 as a trade?
      10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #48
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I had several people suggest I place it on Craigslist...so I did this morning...

I can hear them now:
• What’s a Z4?
I actually bought my M Roadster off CL in 2009. It is a great venue IMO. Free and easy to weed out scammers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #49
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I bought my 2004 3.0i off CL as well, and my blazer before that. Not that I've sold a car on there before, but I did sell my old iPod.
      10-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #50
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sold three cars on craigslist, autotrader didn't even get me a single bite.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #51
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Might be the area. I got a few hits on craigslist but no one serious. Had 4-5 serious buyers on auto trader, sold my 2.5i in 2 days.
      10-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #52
djlogan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Might be the area. I got a few hits on craigslist but no one serious. Had 4-5 serious buyers on auto trader, sold my 2.5i in 2 days.
================================================
My Z4 Coupe 3.0si was on CL for less than 6-hours and a guy (I feel) tried to scam me.

He emailed and wrote consider it sold and even offered me an extra $100 not to sell it to anyone else.

He wrote that he was out of the country and that he wanted to pay me via PayPal and would have "an agent" pick up the car.
He emailed me several times wanting my PayPal email address as soon as possible so he could pay me via PayPal.

I emailed back saying I normally insist on a bank's Certified Check and wait until my bank verifies the funds and the money is successfully deposited in my bank account, before I sign over the title and give the buyer the car.

I told him if I would agree to use PayPal, that there would be a several day wait while PayPal and my bank verifies the funds and deposits the money in my bank account.

I wrote that I would not sign over the title or release the car until the money was deposited in my account.

He never emailed me back……
      10-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #53
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
My Z4 Coupe 3.0si was on CL for less than 6-hours and a guy (I feel) tried to scam me.

He emailed and wrote consider it sold and even offered me an extra $100 not to sell it to anyone else.

He wrote that he was out of the country and that he wanted to pay me via PayPal and would have "an agent" pick up the car.
He emailed me several times wanting my PayPal email address as soon as possible so he could pay me via PayPal.

I emailed back saying I normally insist on a bank's Certified Check and wait until my bank verifies the funds and the money is successfully deposited in my bank account, before I sign over the title and give the buyer the car.

I told him if I would agree to use PayPal, that there would be a several day wait while PayPal and my bank verifies the funds and deposits the money in my bank account.

I wrote that I would not sign over the title or release the car until the money was deposited in my account.

Sounds like a typical scam. You seem to have enough common sense to tweed those out though.

Last edited by gcochard; 10-13-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #54
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:

lol I've had a lot of encounters with those scam artists. It's really funny sometimes to troll them

One time some guy e-mailed me saying he wanted to buy something from me, but said that he was in the military and was in a submarine somewhere in the ocean, and wanted me to hold the item for him blah blah blah. He kept insisting on sending me a check, saying he already sent it via mail.
I was thinking to myself. Hmmm...wouldn't it be kinda difficult to get internet access in a submarine? Also, how could he have been "at sea" and mail out a check to me at the same time? Some kind of USPS aboard the submarine?

Just use some common sense and logic when being approached. Yes, that goes for people of the opposite gender, even if they're attractive
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #55
Hunter Rose
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Hmmm...wouldn't it be kinda difficult to get internet access in a submarine? Also, how could he have been "at sea" and mail out a check to me at the same time? Some kind of USPS aboard the submarine?
Not saying the guy was legit but submarines do get e-mail and they do make port visits/ replenishment stops. Mail is factored into training cruises.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #56
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
Not saying the guy was legit but submarines do get e-mail and they do make port visits/ replenishment stops. Mail is factored into training cruises.
Ah I see. Well, also, he was claiming that he'd been at-sea for months lol, without access to any post-offices on land, etc.
So I was like ORLY...?! *owl face*
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Depends on the kind of submarine. Boomers would stay under for 3 months at a time, with little to no contact from home. Their whole mission is to disappear. Fast attack subs are a different story.

You would think they could come up with a better scam story though. OP, GLWS.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #58
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:

I can hear them now:
• What’s a Z4?
someone tried to trade me a supercharged mustang gt, an 05 or 06 maybe? for my Si. ended up making the sale on CL and not from autotrader. Just some advice, stay on the other persons ass about transferring the title... found out the person i sold my Si to didnt register the car in her name....FOR SIX MONTHS.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #59
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

lol I heard about this car sale by an acquaintance of mine. And before the new owner of the car could get insurance, he got into an accident. Total loss
Moral of the story? Don't drive on public roads without insurance
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #60
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
lol I heard about this car sale by an acquaintance of mine. And before the new owner of the car could get insurance, he got into an accident. Total loss
Moral of the story? Don't drive on public roads without insurance
My car insurance covers it retroactively if you notify them of the purchase within a week
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #61
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I don't think he is talking about the si in general - specifically he is talking about the steering. I have to agree, when I drove an si for the first time, I was disappointed with the steering feel(and I was driving an S2000 at the time which also has electric steering). The steering feel alone made me decide on the M. If I could have specified the M's steering rack in an si, it would probably be a different story.
I admit it. When I first drove my SI, I was also shocked at the steering. I can definitely feel the "tram tracking" that some guys use to describe the handling. It took some getting used to. But I looked past it and bought it anyway. Hopefully getting rid of the run flats will improve the handling a bit. Other than handling issues, the power is there, I love the sound system, the heated seats and I've enjoyed my car to the fullest.

I even drove it during cold weather at night with the top down, skull cap on and music blaring. Buying this car was the best thing I could've done for myself. Driving too and from work is the only time it seems like I have to myself. I never knew commuting could be so fun.

It's too bad I just detailed it last night and covered it up for the winter. Back to the Civic for the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #62
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I even drove it during cold weather at night with the top down, skull cap on and music blaring. Buying this car was the best thing I could've done for myself. Driving too and from work is the only time it seems like I have to myself. I never knew commuting could be so fun.
      10-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #63
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

3.0si has lower height than M

Just noticed that according to BMW figures, the 3.0si coupe is 21mm LOWER in total height than the M coupe ... which is the opposite of what I would have expected.

I wonder what causes the M to sit higher? Did they measure with different wheels? Would that make 21mm difference? Maybe half-an-inch, going from 17inch to 18inch, but surely not a full inch? I should measure my 3.0si (has 18inch M wheels) - but it is being serviced at the moment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #64
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I think a 2003-2005 with the sport package is even lower still.
      10-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #65
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Wheel size and tire diameter are two different things. The non-M cars have a smaller tire diameter, 18" wheels or not. My 3.0i sport sits much lower than my M.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #66
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I admit it. When I first drove my SI, I was also shocked at the steering. I can definitely feel the "tram tracking" that some guys use to describe the handling. It took some getting used to. But I looked past it and bought it anyway. Hopefully getting rid of the run flats will improve the handling a bit. Other than handling issues, the power is there, I love the sound system, the heated seats and I've enjoyed my car to the fullest.

It's too bad I just detailed it last night and covered it up for the winter. Back to the Civic for the next few months.
Hey Aries!

Two things.

First, it's way too early to store your car. I am in Canada without heated seats and my 3.0 SI is what I am driving to work today, and for the next few weeks.

Second, I too found the tram lining and rough/loud ride when my car still had it's run flat tires. Last August, I installed a set of Hankook Ventus V12s, and the transformation in the car is nothing short of remarkable. A massive improvement - quieter, smoother and almost no tramping (you will still get a bit owing to the fact that the front tires are wide compared to other cars like your Civic).

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0