ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
FYI, this is what I have on my airbag and it looks great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...Q5fAccessories
      05-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

Thank's I will let you know how it turns out with BMW.

That looks like a very reasonable solution. Thanks for the pic.

Imagine the bucks and customer frustration BMW would save with a simple solution like that. Most BMW owners don't visit forums that have the support or enthusiast level solutions.

"Sir I noticed your emblem is starting to de-laminate, we have a nice overlay that will make it look like new for $XX, would you like us to take care of it for you?"

Vs.

" No, those claims always get denied". "Can't you just replace the emblem?", "No". "But it's your marque, you would think they would be proud of that, does it affect all cars or just Z4's" "Most all newer cars, I know, it's frustrating, it happens all the time, people are not happy about it, but BMW won't cover it, next" "Who can approve it", "Call BMW NA it's in your book"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
Yea... like finding spring perch drop hats that fit for the entire community! Hehe

Any luck or give up and throw the rear spring pads on?
no luck, I'm sending them in for a refund. I REALLY don't wanna raise the rear, so I'm gonna hold off on that for a bit, until people start telling me "your car looks crooked". lol
      05-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
FYI, this is what I have on my airbag and it looks great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...Q5fAccessories
that looks great, I'm gonna order
      05-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
that looks great, I'm gonna order
My emblem is in good shape, but just in case that changes, I've ordered a couple too. Thanks for posting the link!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraR1339 View Post
Thank's I will let you know how it turns out with BMW.

That looks like a very reasonable solution. Thanks for the pic.

Imagine the bucks and customer frustration BMW would save with a simple solution like that. Most BMW owners don't visit forums that have the support or enthusiast level solutions.

"Sir I noticed your emblem is starting to de-laminate, we have a nice overlay that will make it look like new for $XX, would you like us to take care of it for you?"

Vs.

" No, those claims always get denied". "Can't you just replace the emblem?", "No". "But it's your marque, you would think they would be proud of that, does it affect all cars or just Z4's" "Most all newer cars, I know, it's frustrating, it happens all the time, people are not happy about it, but BMW won't cover it, next" "Who can approve it", "Call BMW NA it's in your book"
Excellent points, and yes they get some fail points on this on the customer service front. Like I've said in too many posts on mechanical issues (vanos, camshaft bolts, timing an S54, Inspections), a large number of BMW dealers really miss the mark on customer satisfaction and it's damaging to the brand.

While I don't think they should be on the hook for wear and tear stuff, a delaminate or even a messed up roundel (marque as you say) that could be addressed for a few bucks wholesale when it keeps the customer happy and likely to return for another sale? Priceless. It's business 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #29
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

My emblem looks the same. Doesnt really bother me though.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #30
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

I got the car back from the dealer last night.

- They were a NO on the air bag emblem

- Replaced the black steering wheel trim on the left side pod

- Did the SIB on the mount bolts. ( tech said it was a PITA, they ordered new bolts, which took 2 days to get)

- Extra key programed Key cost with programing $220

- Replaced M emblem on one wheel that fell off $14.00

- Replaced the front rotors but NOT the pads?..to rid the shimmy.

The 2 problems with this experience is that the SA, never called to update delivery status. He was never available to pick up the phone. So I had to have the gal chase him down. The valet pulled up the car. No walk around or recap of work done or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
JFleming
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i xdrive, '07 Z4 3.0si

Air Bag

When the air bag deploys it basically "quarters" the black vinyl cover. One of the quarters holds the emblem. The emblem looks to be set in place then the cover is melted to hold the tabs in place. I could be CAREFULLY cut out I suppose, but it may not be needed if somebody has emblems which can be placed over this one.

I can do a cut away of this old air bag if anybody is interested in more details of the attachement of the emblem.

See pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #32
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Cobra, some negatives there, but given experience around here on rotors having new ones is a huge win. Some dealership in the So Cal area are much better than others. Nikki and others can opine on that topic.

They're not cheap either (500 or so OEM)!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFleming View Post
When the air bag deploys it basically "quarters" the black vinyl cover. One of the quarters holds the emblem. The emblem looks to be set in place then the cover is melted to hold the tabs in place. I could be CAREFULLY cut out I suppose, but it may not be needed if somebody has emblems which can be placed over this one.

I can do a cut away of this old air bag if anybody is interested in more details of the attachement of the emblem.

See pics:
Excellent, this is exactly what I was asking for. It appears that the emblem is attached via glue or a double sided adhesive layer of some sort. Pry it off so we can see, if you don't mind. Assuming that is the case, we could carefully remove the defective one and glue/double side a replacement (for those who don't want to piggyback on top of the existing emblem)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #34
JFleming
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i xdrive, '07 Z4 3.0si

Air bag emblem removal

OK, if you really want to remove the old emblem, it can be done. You need to carefully pry out the old one. It has three metal tabs that hold it to the air bag. In my photos, you can see the location of the tabs. I used a small nylon pry bar and worked it under the emblem at the 9 o’clock position. Then using a sideways rocking motion slid it down closer to the 6 o’clock position. At this point I levered out the first tab. Next, put the bar in between the two remaining tabs, slide it closer to one of them, and then pop it out. For the last tab, I just grabbed on to the emblem and pulled out the last tab.

These tabs are thin sheet metal that has been bent over when the emblem was installed. After the bending, a blob of plastic was melted on top of the tab (from the back). When you are pulling the emblem off you are actually unbending and threading the tab through the vinyl cover.

As you can see from the photos, the emblem CAN be removed very cleanly with no damage to the black cover. As far as a replacement, I can tell you it will not be able to be installed the way it was originally. The tabs could not be access without removing the air bag cover, and that is not going to happen. So I think the best thing to do would be to glue or two side tape a new emblem on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #35
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
^ Wow, very interesting. They went to a lot of trouble on that factory install. Why not just glue a roundel in there and be done with it? It's almost like they didn't want anyone to "de-badge" it, lol. Or .................. tests showed a glued emblem became a projectile during airbag deployment, so the tabbed through the cover and hot glued version became the "safety" solution
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Oh cool, so it CAN be removed