ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Front reflector delete, Race Ramps, and underbody repair (with pics)

I had planned to do this work since I bought the car a couple of months ago. The previous owner must have run over something at some point because there was a gouge in the plastic under-engine cover, and the passenger side underbody cover and brake duct were all jacked up and poorly repaired/put together with sheet metal screws. None of this was really visible, of course, but being the kind of person I am, I considered it my sacred duty to restore the M to its original shape.

A pic of the damage. Not enough to lose sleep over, but enough to be annoying.

Old brake duct was fubar -- the pins connecting it to the metal bracket were completely shaved off and a good portion of the plate that mounts into the wheel well was missing.

Brand new one from Tischer BMW:

The front bumper also had holes drilled for a license plate (California), and the edges of the license plate bracket had left some indentations in the plastic as well. Of course, there was also a bit of the requisite scuff marks on the bottom of the fangs. Lastly, some of the clips holding the passenger side grille were broken, and although the grille wasn't in danger of falling out or anything, this was definitely not acceptable. I figured it would be easier to just buy a new bumper rather than have the body shop fix the various issues with this one. While I was at it, I had the body shop fill in and paint the front reflector holes.

These were kind of optional, but since I wanted things to be perfect, I also ordered a new front badge and a new rubber spoiler that attaches to the bottom of the bumper since the old one had some overspray. Plus, the clips holding the bumper to the fender were damaged on both sides, and while they were still more or less functional, I ordered a set of new ones since I wasn't going to cut any corners.

I followed mister_roger's excellent DIY for bumper removal: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...38#post1321138

For the Z4 M (and Z4's with headlight washers), it's important to have something with which to clamp the hose. Otherwise, washer fluid drains freely as soon as you unclip the hose from the sprayers. I learned this the hard way.

I also picked up a set of brand new 56" Race Ramps from a local fellow for $100. They don't "scoot" as you're going up them and are amazingly light. The incline was perfect for the low ground clearance of the Z4 M.

Underbody panels removed:

New under-engine cover purchased from local member Diokaef:

There were tons of dead bugs and little rocks in the radiator and engine oil cooler -- I picked out what I could:

Underbody panels installed! With the car on the ramps it was a breeze.

After I fitted the bumper I was so excited to go drive it that I forgot to put the grilles on. It wasn't until I stopped at the grocery store during my trip that I realized this. Kind of an "gaping" look, huh!

Much better:

Front:

Front right:

Front left:

The reflectors on the old bumper totally look like some sort of "beauty mark," in comparison:

Here was the rundown of the parts I had to buy:
Front bumper (51113448817): $368.64 new
Spoiler (51113442832): $42.58 new
New BMW badge for bumper (51147044207): $20.26 new
Filling inserts (51718044699, 51718044700): $31.01 new x2 (ouch!)
Bumper-fender clips (51117165179, 51117165180): $30.67 new x2 (ouch!)
Brake duct (51118044702): $28.58 new
Passenger side cover (51718046084) : $38.97 new
Under-engine cover (51717895804): $100 used
Rivets (51717002953): $0.66 new x10
Screw (07146959925): $0.22 new (someone used the wrong screw for one of the 7 holes on the underside of the bumper)

Total parts cost: $729.21

It's just crazy how expensive the bumper/fender clips and bumper filling inserts were -- these tiny pieces of rubber and plastic cost more than the brake duct! I probably could have skipped the filling inserts, because I couldn't figure out what they did, but I wanted to make sure things were perfect.

Filling and spraying the front bumper in addition to painting a set of aero side skirts set me back about $800, so my guess is that the bumper work alone would have been around $500.

In the end I'm glad to have done the work myself. More important than saving the few hundred bucks it would have cost for the bodyshop to reassemble the bumper, it makes me feel better knowing that I put together everything the way it was supposed to, and I was able to fix a number of the issues that were clearly caused by someone else taking shortcuts before.

So, this essentially raises the cost of my car to about $33K, which starts to push it out of "great deal" territory, but I am satisfied knowing that it's now 99.9% perfect. Now to touch up a few rock chips on the hood...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Looks awesome, now get black kidney grills!
      08-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Nice work! Bumper plugs are also an option to "repair" plate holder screw holes. Some people are fine with them, some aren't. They're cheaper than repairing and repainting a bumper, though.

Are you going to go plateless in front?
      08-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I'm still surprised the M bumper has the round reflectors and never got the ones on the wheel arch in the corner of the bumper.
      08-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Excellent work and write up! I may need to do something similar down the road when I have time. The "fangs" are hanging so low that it's difficult to avoid some of the under carriage damage
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Nice work! Bumper plugs are also an option to "repair" plate holder screw holes. Some people are fine with them, some aren't. They're cheaper than repairing and repainting a bumper, though.

Are you going to go plateless in front?
For me, there was enough other minor issues wrong with the bumper that I figured I'd just replace wholesale. I've seen the bumper plugs but it wasn't an acceptable long term solution.

And you bet on plateless. I devised this method for my old Z4. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387209 It was even easier to install the magnets with the bumper off!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

^^^ bumper plugs aren't my style either; just another option, though. The dealer I bought my coupe from actually implored me to not pop the front bumper for the front plate holder. Good thing we were in agreement on that! I just use the gominigo plate holder. I think the newer version is easier to remove than the 1st gen.
      08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

dekaliber, ur front bumper looks great after being refinished. question - mine's at the bodyshop right now to be refinished as well (due to a disappointing clear coat peeling issue) and i was advised NOT to mold the front reflectors smooth. the manager expressed genuine concern that he'd be worried about cracking from the large surface area that's required to be molded. he mentioned that the reflectors themselves shouldn't be used for molding as they're possibly detachable and can easily ruin the paint layers that way, and consequently bondo over the entire gaping hole would make that susceptible to the slightest bumper flex, and hence cracking.

i saved 75% of the cost and got all four reflectors painted instead for $36 total. seemed like a great deal? the refinishing itself is going to set me back quite a bit, but i'm in the process of getting the houston dealership to foot part of the outlay.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Very nice work! Looks great!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
dekaliber, ur front bumper looks great after being refinished. question - mine's at the bodyshop right now to be refinished as well (due to a disappointing clear coat peeling issue) and i was advised NOT to mold the front reflectors smooth. the manager expressed genuine concern that he'd be worried about cracking from the large surface area that's required to be molded. he mentioned that the reflectors themselves shouldn't be used for molding as they're possibly detachable and can easily ruin the paint layers that way, and consequently bondo over the entire gaping hole would make that susceptible to the slightest bumper flex, and hence cracking.

i saved 75% of the cost and got all four reflectors painted instead for $36 total. seemed like a great deal? the refinishing itself is going to set me back quite a bit, but i'm in the process of getting the houston dealership to foot part of the outlay.
I got some pushback from the bodyshop as well, but it's pretty sturdy as far as I could tell. Now, I didn't try flexing the hell out of it or anything, but you do have to handle it a bit getting it mounted and everything, and it stood up without any issues.

What I think my bodyshop did is cut a patch of plastic and bondo-ed it behind the bumper for support. If it was only bondo, I could definitely see it being pretty fragile. You could probably use the reflectors and do the same thing, but you'd have to bondo behind it thoroughly so that they wouldn't pop out.

I thought about just painting the reflectors but I wasn't sure it was going to be invisible enough. After seeing how great this came out, I'm glad I didn't. I badly wanted the totally clean European bumper, and this was a roundabout way of doing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I got some pushback from the bodyshop as well, but it's pretty sturdy as far as I could tell. Now, I didn't try flexing the hell out of it or anything, but you do have to handle it a bit getting it mounted and everything, and it stood up without any issues.

What I think my bodyshop did is cut a patch of plastic and bondo-ed it behind the bumper for support. If it was only bondo, I could definitely see it being pretty fragile. You could probably use the reflectors and do the same thing, but you'd have to bondo behind it thoroughly so that they wouldn't pop out.

I thought about just painting the reflectors but I wasn't sure it was going to be invisible enough. After seeing how great this came out, I'm glad I didn't. I badly wanted the totally clean European bumper, and this was a roundabout way of doing it.
You have to weld a plastic piece in the same of the bumper.
Other wise it pops.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Is the circled piece the passenger side cover?
If so, do you know the part number for drivers side as well?
Also do you have a picture of it before you put it in? Both mine are broken and cracked but cracked pretty far up and I can't tell if it's all one piece or i'm gonna need more than just the circled piece.

Also wondering if you had 2 of these laying around you'd be willing to give up? I need 2 and I don't think you can get them without buying a duct which I don't need.

One last question...

Do the Bumper-fender clips (51117165179, 51117165180) go here? Like underneath where I circled? If so, I'm guessing those are the left and right part numbers?
      08-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Reflector delete looks great.
      08-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post

Much better:

Front:

In the end I'm glad to have done the work myself. More important than saving the few hundred bucks it would have cost for the bodyshop to reassemble the bumper, it makes me feel better knowing that I put together everything the way it was supposed to, and I was able to fix a number of the issues that were clearly caused by someone else taking shortcuts before.

So, this essentially raises the cost of my car to about $33K, which starts to push it out of "great deal" territory, but I am satisfied knowing that it's now 99.9% perfect. Now to touch up a few rock chips on the hood...
Very nice work.

I agree with you 100%. Doing the work yourself is the only way to ensure that it was done right.

As for the "great deal" it is my opinion that condition is the biggest factor when dealing with the values on M cars. If I were a potential buyer, your car would be worth an extra $2k for 99.9% perfect front end.
      08-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
love the reflector deletes. Did you do the backs? Also as Ron Styger mentions, they have to weld a plastic piece in the void of the reflector. My guy used my old bumper and cut it into circles. I think this mod is one of the best "aesthetic" mods money can buy (specially if you have a reason to replace the bumper ie, bracket holes, scratched up fangs)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

the reflector delete definitely looks great, but the kicker for me was that my body shop was not going to guarantee its finishing if i opted to have my reflectors molded over. welding a circular piece of plastic together and sanding it down would work, but i'm guessing labor costs for that would be a lot more expensive. a give and take kind of decision - u get what u pay for.

hopefully urs hold up cos it looks a lot cleaner than my painted reflectors will!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
Is the circled piece the passenger side cover?
If so, do you know the part number for drivers side as well?
Yes. The driver's side should be 51718046083.

Quote:
Also do you have a picture of it before you put it in? Both mine are broken and cracked but cracked pretty far up and I can't tell if it's all one piece or i'm gonna need more than just the circled piece.
It does go up pretty high -- odds are that's all you need. I actually have a slightly damaged piece I got from Tischer before they sent me a replacement for a new one. I'll take a picture of it when I get home since I haven't shipped it back to them yet.

Quote:

Also wondering if you had 2 of these laying around you'd be willing to give up? I need 2 and I don't think you can get them without buying a duct which I don't need.
I could try to pull the one you circled in the picture off of that duct, but as you can see the lower half is completely gone. You're probably going to be better off just buying a new duct as I suspect you might discover some damage to it once you pull the bumper off, if the underbody cover was cracked.

Quote:
One last question...

Do the Bumper-fender clips (51117165179, 51117165180) go here? Like underneath where I circled? If so, I'm guessing those are the left and right part numbers?
Yes, and the part numbers are correct. They are a BITCH to take off -- you have to pretty much completely destroy them. I opted to cut the tabs with a razorblade to remove them to avoid bending the fender metal.

Quote:
the reflector delete definitely looks great, but the kicker for me was that my body shop was not going to guarantee its finishing if i opted to have my reflectors molded over. welding a circular piece of plastic together and sanding it down would work, but i'm guessing labor costs for that would be a lot more expensive. a give and take kind of decision - u get what u pay for.

hopefully urs hold up cos it looks a lot cleaner than my painted reflectors will!
My bodyshop verbally indicated the same. It's definitely a risk I knew I would be taking on, but I don't expect any issues aside from what would occur with a significant front impact, which I'd like to avoid in the first place! And, you're right -- it definitely wasn't cheap. I think they charged me 4 hours for labor to fill the holes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Alrighty thanks buddy also, do you have a part number for the left brake duct since you did the right side?
      08-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber
My bodyshop verbally indicated the same. It's definitely a risk I knew I would be taking on, but I don't expect any issues aside from what would occur with a significant front impact, which I'd like to avoid in the first place! And, you're right -- it definitely wasn't cheap. I think they charged me 4 hours for labor to fill the holes.
4 hours is an awful lot of labor to be paying for molded front reflectors! i'm guessing that's almost half the price of a brand new euro front bumper?

i'm happy with dan's decals but figured for $36, i might as well get all four reflectors removed, paint-matched, cleat coated and re-installed! considering dan's decals were $20, i should have just gotten my reflectors painted from the start!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Alrighty thanks buddy also, do you have a part number for the left brake duct since you did the right side?
Left brake duct should be 51118044701

I attached a picture of the cover. Note that the front portion where it should stick out to a point was DOA, but you get the idea.

Quote:
4 hours is an awful lot of labor to be paying for molded front reflectors! i'm guessing that's almost half the price of a brand new euro front bumper?
Yeah, tell me about it. I took issue with that as well and mentioned it to them, but since this was "nonstandard" work they probably pulled a pretty liberal number out of their ass. I guess what matters is that the work was done right.

Would have been all over the Euro bumper, but AFAIK we can't get Euro parts in the states anymore...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

dekaliber, not to dampen ur obvious satisfaction with the end result, but i was wary of requesting my front reflectors be molded precisely because they refused to guarantee the finish. add to that the cost they quoted me (probably doesn't sound quite as expensive as yours does, but four times the painted reflector price for me nonetheless) and i was suspicious if the job would even be done right. i opted to go the safer, less risky route and hoping i don't regret it everytime i walk out to the m and look at the front bumper.

as for euro parts, i'm really not sure, but maybe tischer? it would've cost about US$385.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
dekaliber
Major
Rep

I remember looking up the Euro bumper on Tischer and getting the message "no parts found." I searched both the painted and unpainted part numbers from a Euro Z4 M on realoem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=51&fg=15 (51113448818 and 51110035510). I didn't want to bother trying to find some forum member and messing with shipping and all that. I can't imagine how expensive getting something of that size overseas would be, and who knows whether it'd arrive in one piece.

I hear you though. TBH, I'm not too concerned about it since it looks like they did a solid job of patching it from the back, but if it does end up getting messed up I guess it only costs money to fix. Sometimes you gotta pay to play...

Painted reflectors or molded, the front end of the Z4 M changes dramatically without the ugly ambers, which is probably the only visual flaw in this car's exterior design. It makes the car that much more beautiful without them.
Appreciate 0