ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #23
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
(due to it being an over-square cylinder design), so it shouldn't be in that rev range in a higher gear anyway.
The M is an under squared engine, bore and stroke of 87.0 x 91.0 mm (had to look those up lol). I think the M54 was under squared too.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #24
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm still amazed at the power of my 3.0si. Especially after trudging along in my 3.0 X5 for a few days. I just wish it had the ///M steering wheel. If the weather permits, I may test drive an '07 ///MR tomorrow when my si goes in for service. With the really shitty roads here, I'm not sure the ///M will suit as a DD. Concrete roads and expansion joints suck.
With its non RFT tires, you may be surprised at the M's ride vs a RFT equipped si...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm still amazed at the power of my 3.0si. Especially after trudging along in my 3.0 X5 for a few days. I just wish it had the ///M steering wheel. If the weather permits, I may test drive an '07 ///MR tomorrow when my si goes in for service. With the really shitty roads here, I'm not sure the ///M will suit as a DD. Concrete roads and expansion joints suck.
Believe me - you have not seen shitty roads until you come to my town!!! Potholes on top of potholes in cracked, torn up and rutted pavement. Miserable would be an understatement.

And I drive a 3.0si over that!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
With its non RFT tires, you may be surprised at the M's ride vs a RFT equipped si...
QFT.

Both cars stock, I actually think M's ride is more supple than the 3.0si. My girlfriend, who gets a good amount of seat time in shotgun, noticed this almost immediately.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
QFT.

Both cars stock, I actually think M's ride is more supple than the 3.0si. My girlfriend, who gets a good amount of seat time in shotgun, noticed this almost immediately.
If the si has the RFT's, I agree with you 100%. Once I changed out the tires though, I think the si rides a little better. This is the single best mod you can make to the si. The M steering wheel is a close second.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
If the si has the RFT's, I agree with you 100%. Once I changed out the tires though, I think the si rides a little better. This is the single best mod you can make to the si. The M steering wheel is a close second.
What tires did you put on your si to replace the stock RFTs?

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Hancook's V12 EVO. I bought the slightly taller size used by the M coupe and it now made my speedometer dead-on accurate.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #30
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Hancook's V12 EVO. I bought the slightly taller size used by the M coupe and it now made my speedometer dead-on accurate.
That's a pretty significant change: 4% increase in tire diameter. I would imagine the increase in aspect ratio had as big an effect on handling compliance as did the change from RFT to conventional tires. I'm curious, did you also notice any decrease in acceleration and/or increase in mileage - as this is exactly the opposite of what the M guys do when they swap in 3.93 rear gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
That's a pretty significant change: 4% increase in tire diameter. I would imagine the increase in aspect ratio had as big an effect on handling compliance as did the change from RFT to conventional tires. I'm curious, did you also notice any decrease in acceleration and/or increase in mileage - as this is exactly the opposite of what the M guys do when they swap in 3.93 rear gears.
No, not at all. But then I think you would need to do a "before" and "after" with a stopwatch to be able to notice the difference. I guess I effectively made each gear ever-so-slightly taller. Certainly no negative affect on handling. Only a much quieter ride and no tramlining any more. Oh, and no more "crashing" over little imperfections in the road. This and the tramlining were the main reasons I made the change to conventional tires.

Appreciate 0