ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Anyone know where the ambient air temperature sensor is?

Hello all,
My Service Engine Soon light came on (06' 3.0i), so I pulled the code - it came back as the "Ambient Air Temperature Sensor". I Re-set it, but it came back a few miles later, pulled the code again, same thing.

The oputside air temperature readout is showing -40 on the instrument cluster display.

I was reading one post where it mentioned it may be within the bumper?Anyone know for sure where it is, or, had this sensor fail or get this fault code?

Looks like the part goes for $22-$42 on-line, but wanted to see if it may have just become disconnected before buying a new one

Thnx in advance for any thoughts!!
Best regards
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
It's located on the driver side forward of the wheel well. You'll have to remove the bumper to get to it. The circled location in the picture is the holder, which the temp sensor pokes through. You should be able to feel it from the bottom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

EXCELLENT!!! Thnx very much; found it quickly and was able to access it from the fog-light cover inside the wheel-well. Somehow, the cable had disconnected from the sensor, so I re-attached and temp is now reading correctly!

Hopefully the Service Engine Soon light will go out after a few drive cycles.

Thnx again Xmetal!

Brgds,
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
horntail
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i SPORT, MAN

Z4 Ambient Temperature failure

Hi, I had a similar issue with the ambient temp. sensor in my 2004 Z4. It worked fine, but suddenly while driving it started -40.0 C. I noticed that it once in a while went to +50.0 C, stayed there a bit and then went back to -40.0 C. I have had my front repainted recently due to some sand pitting, so I suspected that the body shop might not installed the connector on the temp. sensor correctly - i.e. that it became lose. So I took the sensor out, the connector looked fine, but just to be safe, I disconnected it, cleaned it out with some high pressure air and then reinstalled it. When powering on the ignition, the ambient tempereture still indicated -40.0 C. Damn... Now I read another place on the Internet, that if you for example replace a faulty temp. sensor, the computer in the car needs to be reset in order to start reading from the sensor again - so I though, well maybe if I disconnect the battery for a while... that could do the job. So I disconnected the minus for about an hour, then reconnected. And the temperature is working fine again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Does anybody have a picture of the sensor with the bumper off? I replaced my lower support a month back. The sensor connected to the wiring is next to the horn. It will not reach the holder. I just left it hanging and seem to work fine.
Appreciate 0