ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Speed Limited?

Well, I'm still breaking in my car, but I'm beyond the 1200 mile point so I can take it up to 137 mph sustained (as per the window sticker). I haven't driven the car very much all winter (a few hundred miles) but this weekend the temps warmed up to over 50, so I took my Z4MC up to Frankfurt to do some shopping (mainly an excuse to get the Z4MC out of the garage). On the way up, I mostly cruised between 120 and 135 mph. Normal. On the way back I decided to push it up a bit here and there. At one point I passed 160 mph in 6th gear, but hit traffic and had to back down, then ran out of the unlimited speed zone. I never encounted the speed limiter. Now I'm eager to get out and see how fast the car will go in top gear.
      03-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Limiter kicks on at 167 mph (270 kph) indicated. Have fun

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500

man i cant wait till im in germany to hit 170 odd iff possible!!!! wonder how fast they'd go with no limiter at all!!!??1!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
man i cant wait till im in germany to hit 170 odd iff possible!!!! wonder how fast they'd go with no limiter at all!!!??1!!
My guess is about 180-5 indicated.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Damn traffic! My experience has been the same as Dammittt, 270 kph indicated. I am going to miss driving this car on the Autobahn and in Germany period. Shipping back to states in a couple weeks.

2008 M Coupe
1984 Mini (born 11 APR 84)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Daddy View Post
Damn traffic! My experience has been the same as Dammittt, 270 kph indicated. I am going to miss driving this car on the Autobahn and in Germany period. Shipping back to states in a couple weeks.
If you miss it too much, feel free to come by MTV and hang out with mine.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Yeah, I found that out yesterday when I went out for some speed runs late in the day. 167 feels mighty quick, but the car feels very composed at speed. The autobahns in my area are hilly and curvy. It's all timing to find the right segment without many other cars to deal with. My fuel economy was in the 14s during that drive. Rarely was I under 120. Now I'm curious to know the terminal velocity in 5th...
      03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If you miss it too much, feel free to come by MTV and hang out with mine.
I might have to do that, I mean since it does just sit there all by itself most the time Nice to be able to walk to work huh? Saves on the mileage.

BTW, I saw a monaco MC at the PX this weekend and had to park next to him. He had wood molding, just didn't look right.

2008 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Yeah, I found that out yesterday when I went out for some speed runs late in the day. 167 feels mighty quick, but the car feels very composed at speed. The autobahns in my area are hilly and curvy. It's all timing to find the right segment without many other cars to deal with. My fuel economy was in the 14s during that drive. Rarely was I under 120. Now I'm curious to know the terminal velocity in 5th...
Weather was perfect yesterday. Unfortunatley I spent most of the day detailing mine rather than driving it. That is a pretty nice stretch on the A6 from R.O.B (Opel exit) direction Miesau, if you time it right with traffic. Those are my old stompin grounds. I used to take the A6 from Landstuhl to Vogelweh just to stretch the legs on my 323i (euro spec).

2008 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I might have to do that, I mean since it does just sit there all by itself most the time Nice to be able to walk to work huh? Saves on the mileage.

BTW, I saw a monaco MC at the PX this weekend and had to park next to him. He had wood molding, just didn't look right.
True...I do kiss it goodbye every time I walk past it...that has to count for something right? Yes...I know the MC you're talking about, they also work on Campbell.

Quote:
Weather was perfect yesterday. Unfortunatley I spent most of the day detailing mine rather than driving it. That is a pretty nice stretch on the A6 from R.O.B (Opel exit) direction Miesau, if you time it right with traffic. Those are my old stompin grounds. I used to take the A6 from Landstuhl to Vogelweh just to stretch the legs on my 323i (euro spec).
A63 is awesome once you get out of the hills north of K-Town. Don't have to worry about speed limits every 2-3 minutes.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
For now with my winters I won't go past 240...gonna wait till at least April to put summers on again...

BTW...thanks for the M Flight info...been too busy to reply back tho.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I hit redline in 5th yesterday. Isn't that supposed to be an actual 172, going by the gearing?

And as others have said, this car feels unbelievably planted at all speeds. I've had it over 140 many times and it always amazes me how secure it feels.