ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

What are your thoughts on this dash top Nav install?

Been thinking about adding the OEM Nav to my Z lately, but the cost is just crazy for what it is. So after a few days of researching portable units, I've been trying to figure out the cleanest install. Obviously I'd prefer it to look OEM, and I'd really rather not have to worry about hiding the unit all the time. So after some searching, I just found this 1 series dash storage bin that is sold overseas. There's a DIY install here. From the pics it looks pretty close to the size and shape of the Nav unit in the Z4, just doesn't have the lip which shouldn't be an issue if you move it back half an inch. For $85, this looks like it could be a really nice solution, hell, just having the storage bin would be nice. Anyway, just wondering if you guys think this could actually work, and how it would look. Since it's an OEM piece I thought it should blend right in...And someone already figured out how to make a GPS automatically glide up/down here.

Thoughts? I'm still trying to decide if doing this would be a big mistake. I mean realistically, when the time comes to sell the car it's just going to get traded in, and nobody at the dealership will even notice the storage bin even though it's not supposed to be there. At the same time, some extra storage in this car is never a bad thing and it should look OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I'd be terrified to take a saw to my dash - but if you take the time to do it right, I could see the benefit. I like this much better then a suction cup holding the portable nav to the windshield.
      01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

The worst, most difficult part to installing the OEM nav is cutting into the dash. If you're going to do that, I say go all the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

Believe me, OEM Nav was my first choice. But I've been searching for the parts for weeks, and I'm looking at around $1200. That's a LOT of money for a system that is marginal to begin with. I do however get the benefit of full integration, audio and phone data on the screen, and a clean install. Aftermarket is 1/4 the price, has live traffic updates, and can even be upgraded for better units over the years. Always pro's and con's to each option. For the price, I thought that storage bin looked pretty clean. Seemed like a great way to both integrate the Nav system, and add always welcome storage to the Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

looks like the storage bin thing is a good solution, and would sort of advert theft, but not really
      03-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Hmmmm......what does this storage bin look like ?????
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

dude- don't cut your dash #1. Get a garmin (best you can afford) #2. They recharge so no need to run wires around your dash #3.

I have the factory nav and use my Nuvi when I need directions nevermind the suction cup.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0