ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Talking Picked up M Roadster and discovered extended leather!

Well this was a great surprise!

I picked up my black on black 2006 M Roadster with just 3000 miles on it today.

I took a 3 hour bus from Montreal to Quebec and arrived exhausted at the dealership. (didn't sleep the night before, too excited)

Before doing the paperwork I obviously do a routine visual inspection of the car from the outside, then pop open the trunk and put my packpack in it.

I then open the driver door and sit inside for the 1st time and am really happy it still has the new car smell and yadayada I all smiles.

Then I get ready to get out of the car and notice there is no crappy cheap plastic on the door panels! I then have a flash of the post on ''the mystery of extended leather'' here on this forum by a guy with a red M Roady, so I check the roll bars, sunvisors, etc...wahoo! all covered in cow!

When I was negotiating the price for the car a few days ago I remember specifically asking if there was ''extended leather'' option and the seller said ''no way just premium package'''....so I made a lower offer because I really wanted extended leather but he accepted.

Nice surprise

On another note I forgot how bouncy-stiff the ride of the M Roadster is...not nearly as comfortable over bumps as my Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

LOL.. yay! i just got into accident with mine on tuesday.. went to check on her today...
how i miss her.. think i will neeed the Z4M Coupe.. to go with this baby.. they belong together
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Come to think of it, if I were to order my M again, I'd have gone with the extended leather for the new car smell alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Its funny as I took my M out the other day and my friend who hasn't been in the car for a while says the smell of the car was like being inside a wallet

The smell is really pleasant without being overpowering

Congrats on your new purchase!

and I'm surprised no one has asked for pics!!!!!

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79 View Post
On another note I forgot how bouncy-stiff the ride of the M Roadster is...not nearly as comfortable over bumps as my Boxster S
Was the Porsche really better over bumps? I've been watching the used market for Cayman's and was curious how it compares.

Oh, and nice work on snagging the free extended leather! Can't tell you how much I wish I had that option.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Its funny as I took my M out the other day and my friend who hasn't been in the car for a while says the smell of the car was like being inside a wallet

The smell is really pleasant without being overpowering

Congrats on your new purchase!

and I'm surprised no one has asked for pics!!!!!
I've had my car for over 2 years now, and I still get a hint of new car smell everytime I get in. I can't imagine how much more bliss if I had extended leather
      02-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I've had my car for over 2 years now, and I still get a hint of new car smell everytime I get in. I can't imagine how much more bliss if I had extended leather
I've sat in Rick Hunter's M-coupe and can vouch for that. Okay let me revise what I said. I wish I had ordered an M coupe with the extended leatther option.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
Was the Porsche really better over bumps? I've been watching the used market for Cayman's and was curious how it compares.

Oh, and nice work on snagging the free extended leather! Can't tell you how much I wish I had that option.
Yes. The Boxster-Cayman have the driver sit smack in the middle of the car and the mid-engine design allows the shocks-springs to not be set to ''ultra-stiff''.

A Cayman S soaks up bumps beautifully. Kind of feels like an RX-8.

I was told though by someone that tire pressure can affect ride quality a lot; I'll check to see if the dealer didn't put too much pressure in my new winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Some crappy pics:

And yes I had the top down in freezing weather with snow on the ground; felt great for a few minutes
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Yes. The Boxster-Cayman have the driver sit smack in the middle of the car and the mid-engine design allows the shocks-springs to not be set to ''ultra-stiff''.

A Cayman S soaks up bumps beautifully. Kind of feels like an RX-8.

I was told though by someone that tire pressure can affect ride quality a lot; I'll check to see if the dealer didn't put too much pressure in my new winter tires.
Haven't ever heard anyone comment on seat placement as a factor for the company setting spring and damper rates? Definitely check the tire pressures. Here in Germany you can rest assured when you pick up the car at the dealer, they reset the pressures to exactly what's called for. Elsewhere, especially the States, you can count on them doing it incorrectly if at all. Personally I don't think my Z4MC bounces off of bumps so much. It's tight, but it doesn't send me sailing out of the seat. And I'm very lean so that would be easy to do. For sure KW V3s would have it soaking up bumps far better, but for OEM suspension I think it's quite good. You may want to consider the RPI skip plates for the front end. The front is quite long and still low enough to encounter kerbs when parking. Better to bruise an inexpensive skid plate than your front end body work.
      02-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #11
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Haven't ever heard anyone comment on seat placement as a factor for the company setting spring and damper rates? Definitely check the tire pressures. Here in Germany you can rest assured when you pick up the car at the dealer, they reset the pressures to exactly what's called for. Elsewhere, especially the States, you can count on them doing it incorrectly if at all. Personally I don't think my Z4MC bounces off of bumps so much. It's tight, but it doesn't send me sailing out of the seat. And I'm very lean so that would be easy to do. For sure KW V3s would have it soaking up bumps far better, but for OEM suspension I think it's quite good. You may want to consider the RPI skip plates for the front end. The front is quite long and still low enough to encounter kerbs when parking. Better to bruise an inexpensive skid plate than your front end body work.
Well maybe I was just used to driving a Boxster S for a year and a half which has a much smoother ride; yesterday was my first full day with a Z4 M, I guess I'm just not used to it.

The ride reminds me of my old Honda S2000

But I'm pretty sure the dealer put my tire pressure too high, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #12
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Well this was a great surprise!

I picked up my black on black 2006 M Roadster with just 3000 miles on it today.

Then I get ready to get out of the car and notice there is no crappy cheap plastic on the door panels! I then have a flash of the post on ''the mystery of extended leather'' here on this forum by a guy with a red M Roady, so I check the roll bars, sunvisors, etc...wahoo! all covered in cow!

Nice surprise

Thanks for telling us how crappy our lesser cars are.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

my twin!
      02-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
That seems like an odd response. I took it as a simple back to back comparison on ride quality. I love my Z and there's a very short list of things I'd like to improve on it, but suspension is definitely at the top of that list. If only Koni would be kind enough to make some FSD's for this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
That seems like an odd response. I took it as a simple back to back comparison on ride quality. I love my Z and there's a very short list of things I'd like to improve on it, but suspension is definitely at the top of that list. If only Koni would be kind enough to make some FSD's for this car.
OH you mean the Porsche, not a plain Z4. Welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
???

The MZ4 isn't perfect...When I go through different sports cars each one has its strong and weak points to me.

Obviously I think the MZ4 is more fun to drive than a Boxster S or else I wouldn't have bought it

And then there's nothing wrong with a few comparos, especially since I also own a Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Some crappy pics:

And yes I had the top down in freezing weather with snow on the ground; felt great for a few minutes
Beautiful car! Enjoy!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #18
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

extended weather ftw
      03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I have the Extended Leather, and wish I didn't, for two reasons:

1. Man, cleaning all that leather every month is a chore, and

2. I can't get a good aftermarket wind blocker, as they all require the silver plastic roll hoops, unless you use velcro (Yuck).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: before 05 Z4 2.5 now 08 MRdstr

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
yeah i missed out on extended leather. I asked the dealer to add it after the order was placed and the factory said it was too late..

its okay though it saved me $3,500 , which is a lot more money these days than it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Hey guys, a good tutorial for taking care of leather in general is right here. Better keep that costly option worth every penny. LOL
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-mai...ver-crack.html

^ Good luck, and questions, PM me here. I made that write-up a few years ago.