ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Z4Fam
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Smile Removin OEM Spoiler?

Hey fam,

I have a OEM spoiler on my 2005 Z4 3.0i that i want to remove. Anyone got an idea if its glued? Not many info out there on how to remove these spoilers...so i wanna know what im getting myself into.

Also, will the boot need another spray if i remove the spoiler?

I'm personally not a fan of the 3.0i OEM spoilers on the Z4s. What do you guys think about it? Im trying to force myself to like it but its not working any ideas how to make it look better if i cant remove it?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I don't know what is holding it on, be it 3m tape or Beta Link but if it is OEM and came from BMW my best guess would be Beta Link adhesive.

I read a lot of reviews on the internet on how Beta Link can't be removed and if you try you will destroy the spoiler and the trunk (paint). I was worried but gave it a shot and I am happy to say that I successfully removed my spoiler that was stuck on with Beta Link. It took under 2 hours to work it off and clean it up. For reference my spoiler had been attached to the car for about 4 years.

Steps I found worked.
1. I tried using fishing line to saw away between the spoiler and the trunk but the line kept breaking and would've taken days to get it off using that method. I then used plastic pry tools and gently pulled it apart.Working my way from one end to the other. I didn't pry it up or force it up.
2. For cleanup I found the solvent that came with the Beta Link adhesive worked really well to clean up the remaining goop left behind.

I do have some light scratches in the clear coat (I used a harder plastic tool at one point, should've remained patient and kept using the soft plastic tool) but overall you wouldn't really be able to tell it was ever there.

Obviously proceed at your own risk, not responsible for damage, etc.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

The wing is held on by double sided tape and an adhesive. If you take a piece of heavy fishing line and move it like a saw between the trunk lid and the wing it will come off. The paint under the wing may look different due to not having UV hitting the paint.
      03-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I was going to say, if you can remove it without breaking it, send it my way but your on the wrong side of the planet.
I've always wanted the oem spoiler but dont want to pay 400 bucks (US) plus painting for it.