ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
TallTexan
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Silbergrau

Best resale qualities for Z4MC?

Looking for sage forum wisdom: rank the items most important to resale value of a Z4MC, what would be your top 3-4?

For example:
1) low miles, relative to age and inventory
2) color
3) CPO

Of course, there are many variables that will determine value. The question is as much for fun as it is to glean some collective wisdom.

Last edited by TallTexan; 08-22-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

As the cars are no longer in prodcution and aging, my vote goes to cars with the best documented and veriable service history. Especially those maintained better than BMW's inadequte standards.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Mileage is still important, as people are looking for "mint" cars.

Options aren't as important, since there weren't many and some can be polarizing. Like the nav, which isn't terribly good. Extended leather on the other hand...

Color is super important to some people, but you can't count on it. One person's dream is a black on black car, someone else wants blue, etc.

The most important consideration for any BMW of any age, in my opinion, is condition and documentation. A 40k mile car with complete records that has been well-maintained is worth more than a 20k mile car that has a few issues. Give me the devil I know every time.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Options aren't as important, since there weren't many and some can be polarizing. Like the nav, which isn't terribly good.
That's interesting. I like things built-in (rather than stuck on the windscreen) ... but I thought the nav was already old-fashioned when the car launched (Coupe late 2006): low resolution screen, clunky interface, etc ... not to mention it having to be open to play discs which I thought very distracting to driving. I thought of the nav as being equivalent to a bathroom or kitchen in a house: the first room that shows age as fashion/style changes. And so I left it out.

[But I still like things minimalist .. just being 'there' ... and I miss it ... it's a pity one cannot replace the inbuilt screen with an iPad or something newer.]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Mileage, and how often it was driven
CPO
1 Owner car
Color
Options.

I was hooked on getting an Interlagos Blue...but then I saw Imola and fell inlove.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Mileage, and how often it was driven
CPO
1 Owner car
Color
Options.

I was hooked on getting an Interlagos Blue...but then I saw Imola and fell inlove.
WHS

I saw many black on black cars and took my time finding the exact color i wanted. I guess if its a more rare color it will likely be more in demand.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

cool thread. Lack of accidents, then mileage for me.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

PRICE
mileage
condition
nav/extended leather
mods
      08-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

I'd say my top requirement would be condition (physical and mechanical), then color, then miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I just went through this myself. It all depends on how you are going to use the car and what you want to spend. For example, I'm sure that some buyers don't mind a well-maintained coupe with, say, 54K miles if they are going to put a lot of miles on anyway - the S54 is a pretty durable motor!

Myself, I wanted a one-owner, low milage (< 10K if possible) with all records, no accidents, etc. CPO can be of benefit, but I dislike our local dealer (and will NOT bring my cars there) and I have a very trusted indy shop, so I did not want to pay the premium for a CPO. I would value maintenance and condition over color to be sure, but I like relatively subdued colors that don't require regular swirl mark removal. Therefore, sliver, silver gray, space gray or white for me. I particularly wanted Silver Gray or Space Gray which took a bit of luck and patience but it happened. There are a lot of black and red coupes out there!

It's an added plus to be able to talk to the owner if possible to ask about oil consumption, how the car was driven, etc. Fortunately, Z4M coupes tend to be owned by enthusiasts.

Good luck!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

condition is tops - cars with 20k aren't necessarily in better shape than cars with, say, 50k. However, since I found that most of these cars were in pretty good shape, and mileage was a secondary concern to me since I don't put many miles on it (ie, I just wanted less than 50k), I'd say just getting the right color combo was the real clincher, especially since its a 2nd car for me, and I was in no real rush

price was fairly low, but most seem to run in a fair range - basically, I just didn't want to get screwed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i came from a jet black/black '06 M3 ZCP 6MT/nav.

took me a year to find a 7,800 mile '07 Z4MC black sapphire metallic/black 6MT/nav.

downside - it was 2,800 miles away. flew out to seattle and drove it back to PA.

resale qualities for me:

previous owner history serviced at the same dealer at washington for all of it's whopping 7,800 miles. (baby)

color combo

nav

3M clear bra and alarm system were just icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Price
Condition/Accidents
Driving Habits (lots of cold starts or city driving vs fwy miles)
Maintenance Records/Service History
Color Combo
Options

I found a pristine (aside from the usual rock chips) BSM/black nappa that was fully loaded with extended leather. I was able to pick it up for a STEAL (low 20s ) because it had 55k miles. With the full service history and PPI though, I didn't care.. I've put ~20k miles on it since as my DD and have had absolutely 0 issues!

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Condition is by far my #1 consideration. Then color, followed by price.

In my case, I searched for my ideal color combos and looked into the condition afterwards. The car I bought happened to be in great condition and the color was exactly what I wanted, so the negotiating began from there.

3 months and 2300 miles later I couldn't be happier with my M

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Single owner and maintenance history is key for me. If these two work, then mileage is not a big issue as S54s last a long time if cared for.

Next big item is condition of interior- seat bolsters and steering wheel condition are top of the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #16
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Mileage first.

In the limit, as mileage tends to 0, ... car tends to new.

Maintenance history doesn't really tell you anything: a new Z4 hardly needs any maintenance anyway - basically 1 oil change until 20000km. Everybody does that, so it tells you nothing. The real kind of care and maintenance that matters - how it is driven, where it is garaged (or not), what petrol is used, how it is cleaned (and how often), what accidents it has been in ... all these things you have no control over. Under the circumstances, a stamp in a BMW service booklet ... which basically every car has anyway ... is a largely misleading creditation of nothingness. It might be more relevant on an older car with high mileage ... where wear becomes an issue ... but on a low mileage car it means very little. Which is precisely the point --> mileage itself is the most credible indicator of how much the car has been used.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
TallTexan
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Silbergrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I'd say my top requirement would be condition (physical and mechanical), then color, then miles.
Isn't it possible using the VIN, for a BMW dealership to pull up all of the service another BMW dealership has performed?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
Isn't it possible using the VIN, for a BMW dealership to pull up all of the service another BMW dealership has performed?
Yes. But folks have had mixed results in asking for another dealership to do that. It certainly won't hurt to try, and it seems to depend on the dealership. Naturally if you're buying the car there they'll be more willing to do this; or, if you have a good working relationship with them (mine did this for me, even though I didn't buy the car from him...but I've bought plenty of others there).

Basically you want to see the break-in service was done at or around 1,200 miles; and other service was done at the prescribed intervals.

On a car that should have had Inspection I done, even if there are records, they question becomes "what" actually was done at Inspection I. Many dealerships have done Inspection I but not adjusted the valves, or tried to weasel out of doing it. (Lots of threads on that around here.) So some extra scrutiny of that work is required (like were the right parts ordered and so on), and I'm not sure if that would show or not on a report pulled by another dealer. (Someone may know.) I don't think this is a huge issue, but it's something to be aware of.
Appreciate 0