ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
usaz4mcr8cr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Check engine light

So I was parked on an incline last night for maybe a half hour and when I went to start the car, the idle was erratic, the triangle w/circular arrow was lit and the maintenance required/check engine light came on. This has never happened before. I got the car on level ground and restarted it, it's all back to normal except the maintenance required/check engine light is now lit. Can somebody shed some light on this? What should I do now?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaz4mcr8cr View Post
So I was parked on an incline last night for maybe a half hour and when I went to start the car, the idle was erratic, the triangle w/circular arrow was lit and the maintenance required/check engine light came on. This has never happened before. I got the car on level ground and restarted it, it's all back to normal except the maintenance required/check engine light is now lit. Can somebody shed some light on this? What should I do now?
get the code read. Any place like autozone or pep boys will do it for free i think. Diagnose the problem and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Unless you have a reset tool the CEL will stay illuminated for several start cycles....at least that how it worked on my M5and my wifes 530i.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
get the code read. Any place like autozone or pep boys will do it for free i think. Diagnose the problem and go from there.
Generic code reader wont be able to read the actual codes but give it a shot anyway. I would not worry too much unless it is starting to flash. Maybe just a little misfire on one of the cylinder
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Autozone will give the code # for free... then google it!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0