ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #45
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
[

If you know your way around a computer, you can do it pretty easily with software like WinKFP and a cheap interface. Otherwise you can go to a dealer (or an indy who has the BMW software), and tell them to manually input the corresponding Euro software number instead of letting it auto-detect the newest version.

I've personally flashed Euro tunes on a few BMWs (no Z4Ms yet, but the process is more or less the same) with good results.
Somehow I doubt that a dealer will do that for me, but it's worth an ask, because I'm certainly not going to do it myself.

And yes Roffle... The car runs perfectly with the CEL
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #46
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Quote:
If you know your way around a computer, you can do it pretty easily with software like WinKFP and a cheap interface. Otherwise you can go to a dealer (or an indy who has the BMW software), and tell them to manually input the corresponding Euro software number instead of letting it auto-detect the newest version.

I've personally flashed Euro tunes on a few BMWs (no Z4Ms yet, but the process is more or less the same) with good results.
I've got a copy of Progman. Can you tell me the process you used to do this?

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #47
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Somehow I doubt that a dealer will do that for me, but it's worth an ask, because I'm certainly not going to do it myself.

And yes Roffle... The car runs perfectly with the CEL
Heh, it's a little unnerving at first, but now that I've got a hang of all the software I couldn't be happier. I never have to go to the dealer for anything anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
I've got a copy of Progman. Can you tell me the process you used to do this?
I didn't use Progman, but it is possible. Sent you a PM since I don't want to take this thread too far off topic
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #48
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Heh, it's a little unnerving at first, but now that I've got a hang of all the software I couldn't be happier. I never have to go to the dealer for anything anymore.

I didn't use Progman, but it is possible. Sent you a PM since I don't want to take this thread too far off topic
If I come around your place, can you euro code my computer to work with the euro headers with no codes?
      05-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #49
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
If I come around your place, can you euro code my computer to work with the euro headers with no codes?
Do you have O2 sensors installed in your section 1 cats? I can definitely flash a Euro DME tune onto the car, but I'm not 100% sure it'd eliminate the CEL. It should, assuming the O2 and EGT bungs were installed properly
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #50
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I'm picking up the headers tomorrow, I haven't installed them yet. Does the euro coding require a relocation of the sensors?

Right now I'm either considering:

Paying someone to install the headers and relocate the sensors
OR
Installing the headers myself, keeping the sensors stock, and getting an ess tune (some money saved from install will help with funding)
      05-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #51
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm picking up the headers tomorrow, I haven't installed them yet. Does the euro coding require a relocation of the sensors?

Right now I'm either considering:

Paying someone to install the headers and relocate the sensors
OR
Installing the headers myself, keeping the sensors stock, and getting an ess tune (some money saved from install will help with funding)
On my E46 M3 I recently installed Euro headers and OEM Euro section 1 cats. The post-cat O2s need to reach section 1. On the E46 at least, it wasn't too difficult to relocate the sensors. There was more than enough slack in the wiring. Not sure about the Z4M.

I'm not sure how you would keep the sensors stock though. The Euro headers only have bungs for the pre-cat O2s. If you don't intend to relocate the post-cats, you'd have to either run O2 simulators or run a tune that simply ignores catalytic converter errors (which would cause you to fail emissions anyway). I think there's another euro DME flash that disables the OBD monitoring altogether, much like other aftermarket tunes... I haven't tested it on any car though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #52
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

dont worry about the slack a z4m has just enough, trust me i just did mine. no codes no tune no CEL....plenty of power gained.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #53
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
On my E46 M3 I recently installed Euro headers and OEM Euro section 1 cats. The post-cat O2s need to reach section 1. On the E46 at least, it wasn't too difficult to relocate the sensors. There was more than enough slack in the wiring. Not sure about the Z4M.

I'm not sure how you would keep the sensors stock though. The Euro headers only have bungs for the pre-cat O2s. If you don't intend to relocate the post-cats, you'd have to either run O2 simulators or run a tune that simply ignores catalytic converter errors (which would cause you to fail emissions anyway). I think there's another euro DME flash that disables the OBD monitoring altogether, much like other aftermarket tunes... I haven't tested it on any car though.
Thanks, I'll get it installed and have the sensors relocated, and if that gives me some lights I'll stop by with a wad of $100 bills at your place. hahaha. maybe not the last part
      05-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #54
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

How much does an ESS tune add to a car with euro headers?
      05-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #55
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'll get it installed and have the sensors relocated, and if that gives me some lights I'll stop by with a wad of $100 bills at your place. hahaha. maybe not the last part
Haha, you're more than welcome to drop by. Just send me a PM if you decide you wanna try the OEM Euro tune. I've been running a Euro DME tune on my E46 M3 for a while with no real problems (I do realize that the M3 and Z4M have completely different ECUs despite the common engine). I did inititally get an SES because I routed the O2 sensors improperly (pre-cat cylinder bank1 and post-cat cylinder bank 2 have the same key for the sensors, so I ended up accidentally mixing those up). I've since fixed the issues and the car's running great. In the case of the M3 the euro tune develops more torque throughout the entire rev range, and exhibits a *much* smoother idle.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #56
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

hmm, can you install my headers and relocate the sensors too for a reasonable price? I can help with the monotonous wrenching
      05-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #57
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

id love to come help too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #58
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hmm, can you install my headers and relocate the sensors too for a reasonable price? I can help with the monotonous wrenching
Honestly, if it was any other job or if you lived closer to me, I would've said yes. It took me quite a long time (2 days of working 6-8 hours each) to do it on my own car, even with the help of 2 friends. Basically we ended up spending most of Saturday removing the original equipment, and most of Sunday mounting the new stuff. While I could probably do it a decent bit quicker now, I can't guarantee it... and since the car wouldn't be drivable if the job had to be cut short, I just don't feel comfortable offering, you know? I'll ask one of my friends for you though. He did a lot of the "heavy lifting" when we were working on my car, and he's been looking for odd jobs here and there so he may be interested.

FWIW, removal of the stock headers was by far the hardest part for me. There's just no room to maneuver whatsoever. Had to get really creative with extensions, wobble bits, and universal joints. The removal of section 1 was also tough in my since all of the nuts and bolts were rusted so badly that I had to cut them off. If your car isn't driven in the snow, then rust might not be an issue for you.

Although now that I think of it, you need to get bungs welded onto your secondary cats right? Since a shop would pretty much have to do that part (unless you're good at welding) it may be worth having them just install the headers too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #59
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

yeah, I see what your saying. the job is a bitch without a lift and all the proper tools
      06-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #60
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

I pulled my headers off the head with nothing but a small 1/4 drive ratchet and a 1" wobble extension in less than 15 minutes.... And put the euros on in about the same. I did the relocation, headers, and el diablo in about 5 hours with food and beer breaks....
      06-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #61
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I'm not sure if I asked before, but do I even need to relocate the sensors if I'm going to get a tune that turns them off anyway? what about the egt?
      06-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #62
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I finally installed Euro headers and section 1 last week. Put about 50 miles on it so far. No CEL/SES code so far. My shop reset ECU and adaptation. No ECU tune. It is looking good so far. The real test is if it will pass CA smog later this year.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #63
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Nice Rob ! Did you modify the stock section one or use a euro section one ?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #64
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

whats the threading on the 02 sensors?
      06-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #65
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
Nice Rob ! Did you modify the stock section one or use a euro section one ?
I purchased Euro section 1 used. My shop used the original O2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #66
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
whats the threading on the 02 sensors?
US and Euro use the same threading. The difference between the two is Euro O2s have longer wire.
Appreciate 0