ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
SCREWED_WITH_LSD
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Supercharger+LSD

Quest for LSD Differential in 2003 Z4 3.0i Metric Mechanic (www.metricmechanic.com)

Hello All,

With all of the posts on non LSD Z4's I thought I would post my quest to get LSD for my Zed. I was able to find a deal on a stock open differential for a Z4 on Ebay. ($400) It came from an automatic so it had a 3.46 gear ratio compared to my 3.07 for the manual. I opted to keep the 3.46 ratio as I do autocross most weekends and the 3.07 always seemed to be lagging behind. I send my Ebay differential off to Metric Mechanic and the provided the LSD parts to BMW left out.....Metric Mechanic did come very highly recommend from many of the BMW guys in our local club, and my dealings with them was always excellent. They turned it around quickly and I was shocked at how new it looked when it was shipped back. The junk yard part that I had sent them arrive looking better than the day it left the factory....The removal of the old and install of the new took about 6 hours. Words can not explain the great feeling of the new gear ratio. 3.46 on a manual transmission is the way to go, even for street use. The limited slip part works great in the turns, like a slot car on rails now. I did opt for the 4 clutch limited slip, I think the 3 clutch would be fine for most weekend warriors. I highly recommend this upgrade as well as www.metricmechanic.com
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

OK.....Blow the dust off this one.

Veeeeeeeeeeeeery old post. My apologies

Anyone dealt with the Metric Mechanic recently???
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0