ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

New Owner...diff or gearbox whine

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 2008 Z4 with a 6spd tranny. It has a bit of gear whine that I suspect is tranny or possibly on the load side of a diff gear as I only hear it while in gear (accel or deccel, as long as clutch is engaged). Sounds like its coming from mid to rear of the car. Its not too loud but noticeable.

Is this something normal with the Z4s? I asked at the local BMW dealership yesterday (bought from a small used car dealer, took it in to BMW for a good once over) and they said the Z4s are prone to some of this but I just wanted to confirm from other owners.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I hear it when car is cold during deccel. It was very difficult to shift also. This was after insp II. Took it to indy shop to check. Dealer over filled the tranny fluids. They drained about a cup out and car shifts much better but still have some whine.

I think some noise when cold. Definitely not after car come to normal running temp. You should get some sound clips.
Appreciate 0