ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Epic Eci Cable

Those of you looking for tuning solutions without the need to send out your ECU well here you go. This cable ties into your OBD2 scanner and has the following capabilities:

1.downloading of ECU (required to write tune)
2. uploading of EPIC tune
3. diagnostic code reading
...in woodworks is ability to clear adaptions and data logging plus who knows what else.

The whole process is extremely user friendly plus the owner of Epic Motorsports is extremely easy to work with, he sticks to his word and provides excellent support.

I have SSV1 headers, SS hiflo cats that i had Vbanded and test pipes created, SS xpipe, and SS sport cans on my car. I have two tunes created plus my stock tune available that I can easily switch in a matter of 10 minutes of write time via this cable. I had my cattless file remotely tuned at bimmerworld a few days ago and netted some nice gains in WPH and TQ compared to the catted tune....

anyways this isn't a review of the tune or my exhaust system so ill get back on topic!

The process of getting a tune entails downloading EPIC interface that allows you to read/write ECU, or SCAN car for SE codes with option of saving or erasing the codes. Then reading the entire ECU and sending it to EPIC for the creation of the cars tune. This is a one time process and its a good thing because it does take a while... almost two hours. A battery tender and laptop charger are pretty much required for this part. When the tune is ready you will receive it via email and just simply upload it to the ECU ... takes 10 minutes.

The fact that this can be done is mind boggling to me and I couldn't be happier with my overall experience thus far with dealing with EPIC Motorsports. My car has been transformed by their tune.

feel free to PM me or respond to this post with any questions or requests. When a good thing comes around I think its only fair to spread the word.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
So similar capabilities to ESS's DirectFlash handheld, but u need to buy this cable AND separate scanner. Nice to see a competitor finally come up with something close
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

need to buy a tune and cable only

Plus with ESS you are limited in headers selection and ive read about issues with customer support. Why they don't support a car with supersprint headers is beyond me

In my eyes epic has set the stage...idk call me biased!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

How much does everything cost? you missed that very very important part.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Go to bimmerworlds website for further info
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

pretty impressive, anyone's got that tune on his car with a dyno run before and after?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately I do not have a before/after dyno of when I initially tuned the car. I do have Dyno's in a thread I created of before and after SS header install and I have grafts from bimmerworld of my catted verses uncatted tune. If you search the e46 forums you may be able to find one to make a rough estimate of potential gains.

Simply put car just feels more responsive with the tune to throttle inputs especially in the midrange rpm's...at least that's how I interpreted it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Which E46 forums? I'm interested, as I'm about to install my SS V1 headers.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614987

This is my thread on the headers.

You can also search the M3forums.net for other Dyno's or contact epic Motorsports directly...but you would be very happy with epics tune.
Appreciate 0