ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
joots
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi

Sticky steering

I have an 04 Z4 which is now having the sticky steering issue. I have researched online and found this.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...y-Steering-Fix

The dealership says the whole steering rack has to be replaced.
Anyone here have tried this DIY fix?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

There's a better diy fix.
There is an eccentric ring between the steering column and steering column electric motor. That eccentric ring is there to adjust the play/distance between worm gear (electric motor) and spur gear (steering column).
Sticky steering's cause is for 99% too much friction between those two gears due to too little tolerance. Either due to wear (the spur gear is plastic, so teeth material is shoved off to the outside thus increasing the overall size of that gear and due to heat (heat expands materials). Thats why on hot days or with the heater on it happens more.
Applying extra grease may reduce the friction between the gears (the torque sensor is confused by the extra friction thus reacting too late) but extra grease doesnt counteract the root of the problem, being the play/lash between the gears. Turning the eccentric ring does. It is set with 2 allen bolts (pretty tight, hard to reach).
On the german forum there is a 100+page on the problem where they developped/researched this solution.
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index....59821/page-75
Pretty much everything is said in this thread but its in german.
This fix is now over 2 years old and was pretty thoroughly tested before that.

But applying extra grease doesnt hurt, it might solve the less severe cases (the correct kind of grease, it has to be high pressure grease for plastics/synthetics).

Dealerships can only replace, they dont know shit as usual. They must use the workshop manual and are forbidden to think.
readjusting the ring is far less work and cheaper than replacing, but it might be an action of readjusting it once or twice (trial and error). Adjusting it too far might result in too much power assist (too light, numb steering feel)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-07-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
joots
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK
There's a better diy fix.
There is an eccentric ring between the steering column and steering column electric motor. That eccentric ring is there to adjust the play/distance between worm gear (electric motor) and spur gear (steering column).
Sticky steering's cause is for 99% too much friction between those two gears due to too little tolerance. Either due to wear (the spur gear is plastic, so teeth material is shoved off to the outside thus increasing the overall size of that gear and due to heat (heat expands materials). Thats why on hot days or with the heater on it happens more.
Applying extra grease may reduce the friction between the gears (the torque sensor is confused by the extra friction thus reacting too late) but extra grease doesnt counteract the root of the problem, being the play/lash between the gears. Turning the eccentric ring does. It is set with 2 allen bolts (pretty tight, hard to reach).
On the german forum there is a 100+page on the problem where they developped/researched this solution.
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index....59821/page-75
Pretty much everything is said in this thread but its in german.
This fix is now over 2 years old and was pretty thoroughly tested before that.

But applying extra grease doesnt hurt, it might solve the less severe cases (the correct kind of grease, it has to be high pressure grease for plastics/synthetics).

Dealerships can only replace, they dont know shit as usual. They must use the workshop manual and are forbidden to think.
readjusting the ring is far less work and cheaper than replacing, but it might be an action of readjusting it once or twice (trial and error). Adjusting it too far might result in too much power assist (too light, numb steering feel)
Do i need to remove the whole steering rack to loosen the allen and turn the eccentric ring?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

No, just remove the lower cowling and you can reach the allenbolts (difficult), 6mm allenwrench needed, you might have to shorten it. The bolts are tight
Then rotate the ring (clockwise, about 60 degrees (depends from case to case). First mark the original factory set point) until the stickyness is gone (trial and error). Maybe adjust once or twice after a month or so when heat changes or so if you feel some stickyness occasionally.
I havent done the fix myself (I have no problems luckily) but personal friends have (and they did the greasenipple fix also and that wasnt sufficient).
As I said a combination of the 2 fixes (both extra grease and re-adjust of the gear play) might be a good solution too. One of the possible causes might be some wear on the plastic gear (speculate guess, but plastic/nylon gear teeth can get elongated when worn as plastic is somewhat flexible/moldable). as a grease maybe use non hardening/non drying ptfe grease.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-07-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
bamarider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 black z4 with 6 speed

I performed the grease fix and it has made a huge difference. We've had plenty of high 90 degree days here in alabama to test it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
joots
Private
Rep

I just had my mechanic perform the grease fix. It seemed to have helped. Steering is much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
johno8888
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I convinced my dealer to get BMW to replace the rack free of charge. Low miles 06. If you did deep there is info online about BMW's knowledge of this problem.
Appreciate 0