ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

H&R 30mm Front Adjst. Sway Bar

Just put this on today and took her on a quick run through some curves. Survey says....... very niiiiiceys! Have on middle hole and roll is nicely reduced. Car rotates nicely and feels more composed. Definitely worth while.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

where did you purchase and how much?
      07-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got it from Shox.com. Been buying shocks from these guys for 15yrs or so. It is actually an e46 M3 fitment but same for Z4m's. $279+shipping. Best price I could find at the time too. Very simple/painless install.

Dan
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Glad I see other people are using this bar as well.

I'm set at middle hole as well and IMO it is the best set-up for regular given conditions. I have had to soften up the bar on more "grippier" conditions to eliminate some understeer but that was on airport concrete.

Car does indeed rotate a lot better than before, much more composed.

I got my from TCK racing. Awesome customer service.

Just for giggles. Front tires completely loaded (you can see the driver side tire load profile). Front end stays fairly planted.

Follow up shot:

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

i never knew our sways bars and the e46 were the same. Does this setup use OEM end links or did you guys upgrade? Does the rear fit aswell?
      07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
i never knew our sways bars and the e46 were the same. Does this setup use OEM end links or did you guys upgrade? Does the rear fit aswell?
Well, I'm only 100% sure about the front but I believe the rear is same too. They cross reference in RealOEM. I am not lowered so I just used stock end links. When I get coilovers(comon' Ohlins!) and drop the car a half inch I'll buy some adjustable endlinks.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Glad I see other people are using this bar as well.

I'm set at middle hole as well and IMO it is the best set-up for regular given conditions. I have had to soften up the bar on more "grippier" conditions to eliminate some understeer but that was on airport concrete.

Car does indeed rotate a lot better than before, much more composed.

I got my from TCK racing. Awesome customer service.

Just for giggles. Front tires completely loaded (you can see the driver side tire load profile). Front end stays fairly planted.

Follow up shot:

Sweet!

I think I copied you as I believe I first got the idea from your sig
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

I put the E46 M3 H&R front ARB on my Z4MC 12 months ago and then added the rear ARB shortly afterwards; I found that the rear ARB gives the car more "push" and the car handles better with both uprated ARBs.

This is my car on track with the ARBs (front on middle setting, rear on softest) and AC Schnitzer Racing suspension.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
I put the E46 M3 H&R front ARB on my Z4MC 12 months ago and then added the rear ARB shortly afterwards; I found that the rear ARB gives the car more "push" and the car handles better with both uprated ARBs.

This is my car on track with the ARBs (front on middle setting, rear on softest) and AC Schnitzer Racing suspension.

So, you own the most beautiful car? Love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree! Beautiful car! I may add the rear adjustable after I get a new suspension just to help dial things in. Although I don't really want any "push". Looking for very neutral and able to dance
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

looks like a video game
      07-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post

I'm running exactly the same bars and setup.
Corner balanced with adjustable end links.
Last track day was the best the car has ever been.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
looks like a video game
e No, It's for real. I live in the UK and its a 500mile to drive the greatest stretch of tarmac on Earth: Nürburgring Nordschleife. I've driven hundreds of laps there.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrhed View Post
I agree! Beautiful car! I may add the rear adjustable after I get a new suspension just to help dial things in. Although I don't really want any "push". Looking for very neutral and able to dance
Adding a front bar will make the car push...unless you have camber to negate the added understeer from the front bar.

As for the rear, personally I like it stock. I haven't ever added one...but with alignment tuned in the rear can rotate very nicely with throttle, or you can release the throttle and the rear bites again.

Adding a rear bar will actually increase understeer. Running a front bar with no rear helps more weight transfer in the rear, versus less with running a rear bar.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Adding a front bar will make the car push...unless you have camber to negate the added understeer from the front bar.

As for the rear, personally I like it stock. I haven't ever added one...but with alignment tuned in the rear can rotate very nicely with throttle, or you can release the throttle and the rear bites again.

Adding a rear bar will actually increase understeer. Running a front bar with no rear helps more weight transfer in the rear, versus less with running a rear bar.
I think the behaviour of uprating ARBs will be somewhat different with OEM suspension to an aftermarket suspension set-up. The OEM front springs are 11mm thick whilst the OEM rear springs are 19mm thick: some difference! That suggests to me that the OEM suspension is very soft in front and uprating the front ARB, only, will definitely go some way to balancing the front <-> rear in lateral body roll. I can therefore see the sense in what you say, in that scenario.

However, in comparison, the AC Schnitzer Racing suspension (adjustable) has front springs which are 14mm thick and rear springs which are 16mm thick, which looks like a more balanced F <-> R set up, therefore, if you uprate the front ARB, to preserve the balance, it seems logical to me, that the rear ARB should also be uprated, and then the balance and handling of the car can then be fine tuned via the geometry, damper settings, ARB settings and tyre pressures. At least that's the way that I've approached this, and my car now handles very neutrally.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I agree. I'm at -2.4 in front and -1.8 in the rear and car feels pretty neutral right now with front bar set at mid hole. I have heard that many people just upgrade the front bar so that the car rotates better, so I thought I'd try this first. I've not had the car on a track or anywhere I can explore the limits but car feels very good the way it is. Less understeer than it had before the H&R bar and faster through some pretty tight twisties(Mesa Grande and Palomar Mnt)
I also agree with "exdos" in that a different suspension may benefit from an uprated adjustable rear bar to tie it all together. I'm waiting on the Ohlins but I may have to go with the GC coils in the interem and then get it on a track and really dial it in.
Appreciate 0