ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
thisistyler
Definitely not a purist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5i

Angry The nightmare isn't over!

Yesterday, I decided to go to work at stupid-early o'clock in the morning. It was shaping up to be a busy and stressful day, and I'm already looking forward to not getting the weekend off. My only real enjoyable part of any day, recently, is my commute to work in my 2005 e85 2.5i.

I've always liked BMWs, but have never owned one. And, in fact, I admit- I've always spent my time focused on the *other* major Germans... nonetheless when I was faced suddenly having to replace my boxster I found myself transfixed by the zed's long snout, low and wide profile, and the simple, classy dashboard.

And I found a deal.

So here I am, yesterday morning, preparing my store for a monthly inventory for which I'm not holding a high hope. Theft has gotten out of control in the recent past. Our teams are all short, and I know there is only one auditor on the way to count everything.

Enter the homeless man I sometimes give coffee to in the morning, and bum him a few smokes. He's an alright guy, never makes a mess or hangs out longer than he should. He's asking me for a few sheets of cardboard he can use to sleep on for the rest of the night.

My employee has already taken it all out, but I tell him I'm willing to let him grab whatever he needs out of the dumpster out back. We head outside, and I unlock the dumpster cage. I hold up the lid, while he sifts through for a few larger pieces. He's thankful, and I feel bad that this is the best I can do to help him out.

I tell him to come back inside and grab some coffee if he wants something hot, and he asks if instead, I'd buy him a cup noodle. Yeah, man. I'll totally buy you a cup noodle. I shut the lid, and we head back, me locking the fence behind us.

Can you guys guess what I had done?

About an hour later, I'm back in my beer cooler trying to organize and stock. It's a daunting task- I've really only got one employee who *actually* comes back here to do this besides myself.

I hear a crazy loud bang. Was that a gun? That's been happening a lot around here lately, but this would've been a shotgun, at the very least. Car accident? I had better go up front, if only to ease my own mind.

Oh, hah! I'm not usually here this late/early. Didn't cross my mind.

I bet you're all thinking the same thing.

You'd be right. By the time I realized I didn't have my keys, that truck was long gone. And, I bought this car used! Of course it was my only copy.

My day had began at 3am. By 7:45pm the locksmith had for me two keys that would start the car, and one of them had working fob buttons. I was tired. Done. Angry with myself, and nearly $500 poorer than I'd been when I woke up.

I told him I was willing to program the second key, just let me go home. I don't have the mental capacity to watch him push buttons trying to set the fob on the second key.

He showed me the sequence two or three times, and that both keys worked to actually start the car. He gave me a few non-chip keys for the doors. I put my top down, volume up, and chirped my tires more than a few times getting out of there.

When I got home, I tested both keys. Wait a tick- something is not quite right. One key starts the car, but the buttons do nothing. The other key is the opposite. Buttons lock and unlock, and it turns in the ignition, dash lights... but the car doesn't start.

What could I have POSSIBLY done wrong to it this time?!?!

Btw, I know you're curious- my inventory actually went well, despite my all-day freak out about my personal walking nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:50 AM   #2
thisistyler
Definitely not a purist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5i

Tl;Dr- I lost my only key copy and the replacement set is acting strangely
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You will likely have to go to a dealer and have them order you a key if you want it to be back to normal. They are pretty hard to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
PbFut
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I cannot help with the key question but I have to say...No good deed goes unpunished. It is so very true for me and it seems for you as well. I never understood that saying until later in life. Now as I look back, boy is it true for me but I still try as best I can to help others. I am just a bit more careful now. Best of luck with the keys. I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

You need the ak90 to program the key. its likely one is wasn't program into the card slot to start the car. Or just go back to lock smith and have them add it.

https://www.amazon.com/AK90-Programm.../dp/B00GHISJV6
      05-12-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
Webaxa
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 E49

Mate, in case you need something about keys or locks, ask a locksmiths in e12 service for help. I am sure they will have much more solutions for you, and they will work this out for you

Last edited by Webaxa; 05-12-2022 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

So, working on that resume I hope. Plenty of demand these days. In the meantime keep on dumping that stress by driving your cool zed.
Appreciate 0