ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Classic Top Motor Failure - Say It Ain't So!

Hi Gang,

A good friend of mine called last night reporting that his 2008 Z4 3.0 SI roadster was exhibiting symptoms of the classic - and dreaded - top motor failure: press the roof down button, the roof unlatches at the windshield frame, the motor appears to start working, but the top will not lower.

I don't think its the micro-switches in the trunk because if those were the source of the issue, the roof should not unlatch at all. Before we conclude that the motor needs replacing, which can be pricey, is there anything else that could cause this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It sounds like it could be the lifters or Hinge as they are referred to.

These lift the top up and down. There are two and are located at the base of the soft top.

Put the top down manually (red pull in the trunk) and look to see if there is moisture. Is so the seals are leaking and they need replacement.

There has been a run in these so BMW USA has raised the price on them to $615.50 each.

This is due to the age of the E85 Z4 and the top being a weak point in design and execution.

See the picture below and look at #3, those are the lifters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
bamarider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 black z4 with 6 speed

You can check to see if your problem is due to low hydraulic fluid level from a leak by having someone lower the top as your pressing the down button. Leave the cable in the normal position while doing so. When you get the top down it should latch, pump motor stop, and light on button go out when cycle is complete. If it dose all that then you most likely have a leak, probably in one of the cylinders. If thats the case you can send them to top hydraulics for a rebuild. When they done mine in april it was $450 for the pair, much less than new. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

If it's a lift cylinder or other leak that causes low fluid level, the top unlatches, and the pump motor just keeps running without the top moving or it may move sporadically, but you'll hear the pump motor running. If the top unlatches and then silence, it's likely the pump motor.
      08-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Sleipnr+
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I've been working on mine as well, when reinstalling the convertible I bumped the short tube going to the driver's side hinge cylinder the tube came out. I can't figure out how the tube fitting is fastened to the hinge. It seems like its pressed in. thoughts? and thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0