ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Gremlins Are Real

Okay I need some advice I'm having some problems so I'll do my best to describe them.

1. Turn car on and I get this THUM THUM THUMP, like something is running around.
2. My central lock system has gone crazy. Drivers door handle is dead, and I can only open the passenger door from the inside. I am serious!
3. Was driving an noticed my dash lights went dim toggled the button they came back into full view.
4. She sounds like she doesn't want to crank like she's pull hard. Scary!

Now I just purchased a new battery from BMW 4 months ago, before that the old battery kept dying, after I cahnged the battery the thum noise came but she worked fine. Any ideas. I love tis car she was built on my birthday, but man she's turning into a high price women.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Bad ground
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Well thanks for all the input..she died today wouldn't turn over..I'm thinking sensor....wife said it today..fucking sell it..so i'm gonna fix her then sell her....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Central Locking system, windows, and certain lighting system is acting up...

You may have multiple issues, but I bet your GM5 module is one of the biggest..

Try this page: http://www.bmwgm5.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Is modified or stock?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI View Post
Okay I need some advice I'm having some problems so I'll do my best to describe them.

1. Turn car on and I get this THUM THUM THUMP, like something is running around.
2. My central lock system has gone crazy. Drivers door handle is dead, and I can only open the passenger door from the inside. I am serious!
3. Was driving an noticed my dash lights went dim toggled the button they came back into full view.
4. She sounds like she doesn't want to crank like she's pull hard. Scary!

Now I just purchased a new battery from BMW 4 months ago, before that the old battery kept dying, after I cahnged the battery the thum noise came but she worked fine. Any ideas. I love tis car she was built on my birthday, but man she's turning into a high price women.
That is exactly what my wifes car did. It was my first scary experience where I cussed at new car technology. Battery had to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Based on teh above comment, perhaps your new battery is faulty?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

That or something isn't grounded which be as if the battery is faulty.

It was a crazy frustrating experience. I've never taken it to a shop for this reason, but I did that time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Dropping her off @ the dealer the 19th..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Central Locking system, windows, and certain lighting system is acting up...

You may have multiple issues, but I bet your GM5 module is one of the biggest..

Try this page: http://www.bmwgm5.com/
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Okay up date it was the Starter...now get this it's gonna cost me 700 GAWD DAMN DOLLARS....SO I'm like well I'll take my old starter and get it rebuilt and sell it..they go sorry we can't give you back your part I'm like why the f^k not. He say BMW recycles the part..I'm like recycle these nuts..I want my damn part back...it's mine It came with the car..they really think I'm so fracking fool
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

That happened to me about 15 years ago with my old El Camino. After a lot of trouble shooting it ended up being something very simple! It all came down to me needing to clean the ground terminal on the battery. Everything came back and worked great!
      07-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

any old parts store should have a much cheaper starter you can use. I paid less than $200 for mine from auto zone.

you can remove and install it from the top, about 15 minutes of work.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=yousefnjr;14356537]any old parts store should have a much cheaper starter you can use. I paid less than $200 for mine from auto zone.

you can remove and install it from the top, about 15 minutes of work.[/QUOT

I know dude thanks for the info, but i'm in Japan, I could have got it from BAVAUTO for $190, but u gotta pay to play. Trust me I don't want to pay
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

They shouldn't refuse to give it back to you, but they can and will charge you a core charge.
Unless BMW has some whacked rule that they have to send the core in.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

(((update)))) So my wife call BMW to see why the dealer is saying he needs my part, they took all my info and said they would call back. Well the "CUSTOMER" service section called my wife back asked her a few questions got all my info and she says this. "I'm sorry but I can't answer that question for you, the best we can do is call the dealer in Okinawa and ask them" My wife went thru the roof....I told her calm down relax, they just answered the question without doing so. If this was a policy, then she would be able to answer your question with a definitive answer. I did a little research, to let everyone know. Our starter fits six different BMW models to inclued the E34 5series and the E46 m3....GOLD MINE huh..I'm going to give him three choices

1. My part back
2. Discount
3. Talk to the Cops
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

They have no right to refuse to give you back a part that was on your car. I would be livid if that happened to me. I would tell them in a very polite tone that what they are doing is theft, no more and no less, and if you do not get the part back you will involve the police.

It is your car. It is a part that came on your car. If they uninstalled your convertible top, would they have a right to say "Oh, sorry, this is our convertible top now.. BMW recycles them... if you dont want to buy a new convertible top, I guess you will drive away without a top"

No. Its theft. I wouldnt even ask for a discount. Go to a different mechanic if possible. I know there arent a lot of options in Japan, but there should be at least SOME kind of alternative (such as non-dealer, reputable mechanic). Buy an E34 starter motor and put it in. Should be much cheaper. You may have to pay labor for the diagnosis/uninstallation of the starter (I think this is part of why they are holding the part hostage so to speak), but if you only asked them to DIAGNOSE IT, you should only pay labor for diagnosing. If they jumped the gun and removed the part without asking you, that is their problem, not yours. The law should side with you on that one.

The thing is, even if BMW required 100% the dealer to send the core in, they should only do that if the repair/replacement was authorized. In this case it wasnt. It was a diagnosis as far as I can tell.

Also not sure why you dont just get the one from bavauto? Do they not offer intl shipping? A starter is a starter and especially if the starter in our cars dates back to the E34, its hardly a modern piece of equipment. It should not cost that much, $190 seems fine. You dont have to pay to play if you can get the part cheaper from a US source..? Maybe I am misunderstanding...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
They have no right to refuse to give you back a part that was on your car. I would be livid if that happened to me. I would tell them in a very polite tone that what they are doing is theft, no more and no less, and if you do not get the part back you will involve the police.

It is your car. It is a part that came on your car. If they uninstalled your convertible top, would they have a right to say "Oh, sorry, this is our convertible top now.. BMW recycles them... if you dont want to buy a new convertible top, I guess you will drive away without a top"

No. Its theft. I wouldnt even ask for a discount. Go to a different mechanic if possible. I know there arent a lot of options in Japan, but there should be at least SOME kind of alternative (such as non-dealer, reputable mechanic). Buy an E34 starter motor and put it in. Should be much cheaper. You may have to pay labor for the diagnosis/uninstallation of the starter (I think this is part of why they are holding the part hostage so to speak), but if you only asked them to DIAGNOSE IT, you should only pay labor for diagnosing. If they jumped the gun and removed the part without asking you, that is their problem, not yours. The law should side with you on that one.

The thing is, even if BMW required 100% the dealer to send the core in, they should only do that if the repair/replacement was authorized. In this case it wasnt. It was a diagnosis as far as I can tell.

Also not sure why you dont just get the one from bavauto? Do they not offer intl shipping? A starter is a starter and especially if the starter in our cars dates back to the E34, its hardly a modern piece of equipment. It should not cost that much, $190 seems fine. You dont have to pay to play if you can get the part cheaper from a US source..? Maybe I am misunderstanding...
Dude your on point, After they called and told me what the part would cost I really considered buying it from Bavauto, they do have int shipping and are good but it would have been another week with out my car going on two weeks now..and I have to drive 45 minutes to work each way and it's killing my wife so I payed it..and your right if they don't give me back my Starter I will involve the police..especially since I called BMW Japan and they couldn't answer the question so that told me there is no policy I think the dealer ship is trying to make money on the side...they are just not use to people asking for their parts back..don't worry I'll get it back thanks for your comment for a minute I thought it was just me. Will keep you informed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Okay I got my cara back and I got the starter back..okay so to ask my brother a question..I want to get the old part rebuilt..so I can have a spare..or I'm thinking about selling it..how much do you guys think for a rebuild.
Appreciate 0