ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Condensation in Fog lights (2006+ z4 non M)

Most of you have probably come across this issue. Condensation inside your fog lights. Here's what I've done to solve it. So far its been holding up great.

Here is the before. I had yellow tints.

As you can see winters don't fair well for these lights.

I split them apart by using a heat gun and a screw driver slowly working my way around till the glue unstuck.

I tried to clean up the edges with a razor blade which worked out on both the lens side and the metal side but it would've taken an eternity to be able to clean the ocean of coral growing in there. Gross right? Almost like stalagmites.

I got them sand blasted and because silvering is so expensive I got them powder coated. The shop tried to 'chrome' powdercoat them twice and it bubbled so we went with a silver grey that actually looks great on the car.

To put it all together I used PL (an industrial construction glue) and guess what? CONDEN-F*$@KIN-SATION. Took them off for a couple weeks and decided that I would go over the bead with more PL and then close up the top vent hole with PL as well. Also when I reinstalled the light I put a bead of silicone on the lights gasket.

Finally no water, no leaks. Its back to what it should be.

Sorry for not having pics of those to steps but here is on the car now in the rain. (You see a lot of reflection of leaves on the ground)

*Note: there is a 'vent' on top of each fog. I filled these completely so no water can get in or out

Last edited by E86Z; 03-29-2015 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

My fogs are going through the same thing. Idk why but with these cars the fogs are garbage. My housings are so weathered, cracked and hazed and unfortunately OEM replacements are like $225 for the pair so it's not a huge priority for me right now but def something I plan on replacing down the road since it bugs me.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm in Canada, if I'd source the parts locally I'd be in it for likely around $400 for the pair and they would probably do the same thing. So unfortunately I had to take this route.

If I were to do it again I would try to source them from a dealer in the Us and put a bead of silicone around the light and gasket.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The amount of corrosion is incredible for a car of this age and caliper. I assume it's caused by all the salt and chemicals used on the roads in the long winters up there?

I had some aftermarket Hella micro DE fog lights on my truck that did the same thing. I think they were made from magnesium. The replacements had some type of brownish glossy finish applied to them to reduce the corrosion which seems to be working.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Its likely that the winter accerelated the process but this was a Texas car till 2010 and the fogs looked like crap maybe by 2012 so I wouldn't be surprised if they were already rotting prior.

I thoroughly hope powder coating will hold its own compared to the silvering
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update, so far so good. I've gone through a terrible winter with the car and a recently a rather intense pressure washing/car cleaning session with NO water in the fogs. I'm very happy with the results and will be applying a lamin-x smoke tint to them today.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z
Update, so far so good. I've gone through a terrible winter with the car and a recently a rather intense pressure washing/car cleaning session with NO water in the fogs. I'm very happy with the results and will be applying a lamin-x smoke tint to them today.
any pics of the smoked tint? Didn't think to search if you created another thread, have this one saved since I'm going through the same thing with mine. However, I had the good fortune of coming across a brand-new set on craigslist for $120 so now I have my originals that are pulled apart and media blasted. trying to decide what to do with them.
      09-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

In recognition of the fact that these cars are small and I want to be seen by other drivers, I tend to run with all the cars lights switched on during the day. That may provide some additional benefit by keeping the fog lights warm which may tend to keep them dryer and hopefully minimize condensation in the housing.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
After replacing the fog lights 3x because of the nastiness of them overtime, I did what any reasonable person would do...got an aero bumper with newer easier and cheaper to replace fogs
Appreciate 0