ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
carr88
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4 m roadster and 13 e92

New michelin pss tires

Getting ready to order some new michelin pss tires for z4 mr from tire rack. Stock sizes on stock wheels. For the front 225 size all they have are xl load, for the rear 255 all they have are standard load. Will this make a difference in handling,wear,etc. thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The XL load ratings are designed to take a much higher weight per tire. That's all. There's little to no practical difference. Ideally, you'd want the load rating to be the same on all 4, but our cars are "relatively" light for those tire sizes it makes little to no difference.

There are more reinforcement in XL rated sidewalls to allow it to handle higher weight rating, so typically XL rated tires of the same size/make/model will right stiffer, but I doubt that'll be an issue with the PSS.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Love the PSS. A slightly stiffer sidewall won't be much of an issue.

For close to the same price as tires alone you could buy a set of Apex wheels with PSS tires. Or some practically new NT05s. Both easily fit a stock suspension or stock wheels. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133201
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
M-ster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr88 View Post
Getting ready to order some new michelin pss tires for z4 mr from tire rack. Stock sizes on stock wheels. For the front 225 size all they have are xl load, for the rear 255 all they have are standard load. Will this make a difference in handling,wear,etc. thanks for any help.
I have recently gone with the same set-up on my ///M roadster, except XL all the way 'round. I really only have the stock Conti to compare with on this vehicle, but the PSS have better grip and handling dry and wet. They are only marginally stiffer, but in a good way.

E85 ///M roadster | Black Sapphire metallic |
Light Sepang Bronze Nappa leather | Michelin Pilot Super Sport

E90 335xi | Black Sapphire metallic | Black Dakota leather | 6 speed manual transmission
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have xl both front and rear in 19" and the ride is great. Actually better to have the xl up front for braking.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I just installed a set of PSS on my Z4MC a couple of weeks ago and have been happy with them. I run aftermarket wheels so I went 245/40 front and 275/35 back.

They are noticeably quieter and softer than the Nitto NT-05s I had before (expected), but a minor compromise the profile is less square and aggressive looking. Haven't taken the car autocrossing/track yet but so far does not appear to have compromised much on the handling.

As others have said I don't think you'll have an issue with the load ratings.
Appreciate 0