ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
zee4mike
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Question Slow Start and Warning Lights

I have a 2006 Z4 3.0i Roadster. I had the cylinder head replaced under warranty in mid-summer and it ran beautifully but recently, as its gotten colder in Chicago, the engine turns over slowly (battery?) and has occasionally displayed ABS and DSC warning lights come on when started. I turn the engine off and re-start and the warning lights go out. Also, started once about a month ago with a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust after a very hesitant start. Had to give it a bit of gas to get the engine to catch. Any ideas whether this could just be a battery issue or something more serious?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee4mike View Post
I have a 2006 Z4 3.0i Roadster. I had the cylinder head replaced under warranty in mid-summer and it ran beautifully but recently, as its gotten colder in Chicago, the engine turns over slowly (battery?) and has occasionally displayed ABS and DSC warning lights come on when started. I turn the engine off and re-start and the warning lights go out. Also, started once about a month ago with a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust after a very hesitant start. Had to give it a bit of gas to get the engine to catch. Any ideas whether this could just be a battery issue or something more serious?
You obviously need a new battery. Get the dealer to replace it before your free service expires and probably everything will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
zee4mike
Rep

Question New Battery

Z4 needed a new battery and I bought a advanced charging system to keep the new battery up. Charger says I should leave the hood up when charging but doesn't say how far up....I forgot to ask the BMW tech. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

i doubt it matters. they probably say to keep the hood up so that you dont try to close the hood on the cables when the charger is connected
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
zee4mike
Rep

Thanks for the reply. The dealer says I'm not driving it frequently enough to keep the charge up? Any validity? They didn't cover the battery under warranty but did give me a break....no labor charge. I do travel a good bit and don't use the car every day.
Appreciate 0