ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
jojodivo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Lotus Exige vs BMW MZ4

Which is the better value and why?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

The Exige has limited visibility but is the BEST driving experience you will have in a car with 4 wheels outside of a Kart.

The MZ4 is a little easier to live with everyday and is a nice compromise, if you have the ability I highly recommend owning both

I got rid of my Elise to get the Z4MC and my next car will be an Exige......to park next to the Z4MC.....

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

As a pure track car, the Exige hands down. As a car to actually live with outside of the track, Z4M hands down. It all depends on what you want/need, and you haven't givein us any clues to how you would use either car.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
AusTTin Bob
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Hmmm...maybe apples and oranges? My track and roadtrip car for the last year has been my buddy's '05 Elise (so I could see out the back window, unlike an Exige, but otherwise very similar experience except for the bhp difference). And I bought a Z4MC a month ago, but haven't had it on the track yet. Maybe bad form to say so on ZPOST, but I expect my lap times to be slower in the M Coupe. I suppose the M Coupe is easier to live with, although I don't find the Elise all that hard to get in to and out of. I've driven the Elise from Chicago to Dallas, out to Vegas and back, then Dallas to Birmingham and back, and was perfectly comfy, although my buddy and I had to pack carefully (and tolerate rubbing elbows for thousands of miles in that skinny little car). One big difference is that the Elise gets attention everywhere, kids take pictures of it, guys want to talk to you about it in the parking lot, etc. I bought my M Coupe instead of another Elise because I moved near a housing project and park in a carport. The Elise would have attracted the attention of every little hoodlum with a paint pen, while no one (but other M drivers on the hwy) seems to look twice at the M Coupe. Also, if you drive the front of an Z4M into the parking curb, that's maybe $1000 to fix. If you crack the front clam on the Lotus the same way, it's $10,000! As a pure driving toy, I like the Lotus. But most of the 365 days in a year, I'm not at the track, and I like how the BMW A/C evaporator doesn't freeze up, and it has cruise control, and 6000-way adjustable seats...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep

I would agree with Bob, my Elise was my DD for a little under 2 years and my wife and I would routinely go for all day driving trips with various groups to the mountains (leave at 7am and get home about 11pm).

I always found the Elise quite comfortable, not plush but comfortable. The AC worked OK but was just enough most times, unlike the Z4MC that has condensation forming on the inside of the windows But for pure driving experience, nothing beats an Elise or Exige. Feedback is very similar to a GoKart and you absolutely know what the car is doing all the time, almost like an extension of yourself.

I bought the Elise to be a weekend/track day car, but found myself walking by the other car and driving the Elise all the time. If you love the driving experience, don't take the Lotus for a test drive or you may wake up to find one in the garage. It really is not a practical track day car either, any damage will either total the car or be substantial $$$ to repair- I decided to discontinue track events until I have a dedicated e36 M3 track car that I could afford to walk away from should anything catastrophic happen.

The Lotus will attract more attention since there are not a lot of them around, some good and some not good....

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
drummerbrent
Ex-Auto Engineer
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster

We sold our Elise and bought a Z4M vert.. I got the Elise to be a track car, but after driving one at Pacific Raceways for a day, I changed my mind. I'd rather have the Z4M 95% of the time and get a dedicated track car like a Formula Ford or older sports racer. Too many compromises in a half street / half track car. Yes, Lotus' are great driving cars, but to me the difference between a sport sedan and a Lotus is about the same as a Lotus to a real race car. If you haven't already, check out Lotustalk.com. Others are also having second thoughts about tracking the Elise / Exige. If the tub gets tweaked, even a little bit, it's all over.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
oj
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I guess it depends on what its purpose will be. As noted before Exiges are pure track cars... It would take a special kind of woman to desire to be in one of those for extended periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
jojodivo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Is Bob serious about he front being 10k?!?!? That fact alone would be enough to steer me away from the lotus. I recently test drove the ///M and it is a beast! I can see what all the reviews were talking about, how you seriously have to tame the car to get it to really perform (was able to drive w/o the salesman). I currently have a late model 3.0i and actually thought it was easier to drive close to the limit, the ///M scared me a couple of times b/c I could feel the rear trying to swing around. That car without a limited slip would be a big no-no. I am no racer (can heel-toe) but would track the car a couple days a year and would like to have a car with performance around the corners but it will most likely be a DD too. Thanks for the input you guys seem to really know your stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodivo View Post
Which is the better value and why?
Depends on what you need the car for.

[/thread]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
drummerbrent
Ex-Auto Engineer
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodivo View Post
Is Bob serious about he front being 10k?!?!? That fact alone would be enough to steer me away from the lotus. I recently test drove the ///M and it is a beast! I can see what all the reviews were talking about, how you seriously have to tame the car to get it to really perform (was able to drive w/o the salesman). I currently have a late model 3.0i and actually thought it was easier to drive close to the limit, the ///M scared me a couple of times b/c I could feel the rear trying to swing around. That car without a limited slip would be a big no-no. I am no racer (can heel-toe) but would track the car a couple days a year and would like to have a car with performance around the corners but it will most likely be a DD too. Thanks for the input you guys seem to really know your stuff.
Depending on what happens, yes, $10K with labor is very possible. The front and rear body sections are 1 piece "clams" made of very fragile fiberglass - not like a Vette. It doesn't take much to crack them and many shops won't try to repair them. If all you need after an oops is a clam, then you are very lucky. The aluminum tub also costs > $10K (without labor) and cannot be straightened or repaired. All it takes is 1/4" tweak from say a wheel hitting a curb and it is toast.

I'm not trying to disuade anyone, but these cars are getting to be fairly cheap used and you can get many parts like clams used. You just need to be aware of the potential total cost.

Brent
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I know most here will disagree, but there's a third alternative. a viper srt10 coupe. YOu can have one for high 30s
      07-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

If we're bringing the Viper into the fray, I'd rather have the Corvette Z06... Can be had for low 60's, high 50's.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

vettes are common and boring compared to these 3
      07-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Have you driven a Z06? It's AWESOME!
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep

For me, after driving the Lotus for a year the C6 Z06 felt like I was on a sofa watching someone else drive on TV, very disconnected compared to the Lotus and even the Z4M.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #16
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I too had an Elise before selling and getting an M Coupe. These guys are drinking cool aid if they say the Elise is "comfortable" by any stretch.

The ride wasn't overly harsh but the wind noise, squeaks as the plastic dash expanded and contracted in heat and cool weather, you never felt you were in a "real car". Also wasn't good for any sort of business call should you get one while in the car.

Of course the driving experience is as pure as they come. Even better than my NSX's. However, I appreciate more about a car than its raw driving dynamics. It's build quality including structural integrity, durability, refinement when in 100 degrees all also contribute some.

So I wanted a car that was rare, beautiful - especially lowered on some nice wheels. Refined enough for business calls, good for my wife to get in and out of on a night out, great sound, feedback & handling, etc. The M Coupe was the perfect compromise of usability and exotic-ness.

Regarding people not noticing the M Coupe this may be true with stock wheels. But a nice set of wheels really transforms the Z4MC into an eyeball magnet. People constantly stare, ask questions etc.

In fact, today we went to Six Flaggs. Well I had planned to park in the general parking where rest of my caravan would be. But the 3 guys at the parking booth wouldn't shut up oggling the car, asking how much, saying they have to have one some day and INSISTING we park in the self-park valet. They said a car that nice should not be in general parking. This sort of oggling happens all the time.

Here are a few pictures of both.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I too had an Elise before selling and getting an M Coupe. These guys are drinking cool aid if they say the Elise is "comfortable" by any stretch.

The ride wasn't overly harsh but the wind noise, squeaks as the plastic dash expanded and contracted in heat and cool weather, you never felt you were in a "real car". Also wasn't good for any sort of business call should you get one while in the car.

Of course the driving experience is as pure as they come. Even better than my NSX's. However, I appreciate more about a car than its raw driving dynamics. It's build quality including structural integrity, durability, refinement when in 100 degrees all also contribute some.

So I wanted a car that was rare, beautiful - especially lowered on some nice wheels. Refined enough for business calls, good for my wife to get in and out of on a night out, great sound, feedback & handling, etc. The M Coupe was the perfect compromise of usability and exotic-ness.

Regarding people not noticing the M Coupe this may be true with stock wheels. But a nice set of wheels really transforms the Z4MC into an eyeball magnet. People constantly stare, ask questions etc.

In fact, today we went to Six Flaggs. Well I had planned to park in the general parking where rest of my caravan would be. But the 3 guys at the parking booth wouldn't shut up oggling the car, asking how much, saying they have to have one some day and INSISTING we park in the self-park valet. They said a car that nice should not be in general parking. This sort of oggling happens all the time.

viper AND xjr. good taste
      12-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
SSG S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN Z4

Quote:

And these have all been your cars? How old are you and what do you do? Thats an amazing collection!!!

SSG S
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
Getssum96
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Forum noooooooooooob please don't ask these questions in a general forum!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
But a nice set of wheels really transforms the Z4MC into an eyeball magnet. People constantly stare, ask questions etc.

I love those wheels. What kind are they?

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M roadster

SSG S[/QUOTE]

Listen to him! he knows his cars. I have driven the lotus and agree, it's a blast, but very loud, rattles and squeeks. Not a DD car by no means. The viper I drove was freaken fast! Full out balls car! But again, not a DD. Also, the viper is very HOT in the summer, it will cook you in traffic. It also cost $10 in gas just to start the damn thing! seriously, the Viper is awesome and will get you attention, but you better own a gas station and learn how to drive a car with no visability and no manners! The viper is pure muscle, no tact! Vettes, I know vettes. Having 6 of them in the past, i can tell you about everything you need to know. the last one I had was great! Only problem was, it's a GM. Intierior is far less than any BMW. The Z06 front sits so low that you scrap on every drive way and parking lot. better than the viper overall, pretty comfortable and maintance cost is less than any of the others. The Z4M, over-all best! Mine is a roadster, because i love the top down here at the beach! The car is still pretty fast, handles great and the quality is better than the other 3. I would say the Z4M does not rate as high as the others performance wise, but is better over-all than any of the other 3. best of all, the Z4m is very personal, very individualized to the owner yet, fun to own and drive!
      12-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTenn View Post
I love those wheels. What kind are they?
Work Rezax i believe.
Appreciate 0