ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
ZedFourM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Interlagos

Switched from Summers to A/S - Ugh!

When I bought my car last year, just under 30k, the rears had been recently replaced with some Dunlop 9000 RS's, but the fronts were the original Contis and they only had that season left in them

Now, I am pretty finnicky with tires, but never had the opportunity, really, to have a car with summer tires, and didn't like being (for the most part) unable to take the car out with temps <40F, so I figured I'd put my favorite A/S tires on the car: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. I've used these tyres on everything I drive that they fit, eventually even my DD Grand Am, just because they are so good. My tire guy laughs that I put $1k of tires on a Pontiac; but blow the Toyos, Bridgestones, and Yokos, and OEM Goodyears we've used out of the water (between my father's and my Grand Ams we have a combined mileage of nearly 400k, so we've tried a lot of rubber). They've Pilot A/S's always made a huge improvement in ride, handling, and especially, wet handling, so much so that we lived with the poor longevity the old version had.

So I expected a lot. I certainly expected them to be better than worn-out fronts mismatched with new, ok Dunlops in the rear. Sad surprise. It feels like a sidewall stiffness issue, the tail is a little vague, a little wishy-washy out of the corners -- and I am not aggressive with the car at all! I think the steering doesn't take a line as well, either.

$1k lesson, learned.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

FWIW, I've felt fine with summer tires in cold weather as long as it wasn't snowing or wet. I put on Nitto NT05s late last year and took the car out a few times in ~30 weather, and they handled fine. Granted, I wasn't driving like a maniac, but at no point did I feel unsafe. Snow is a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^i second the opinion that albeit summer tires are not recommended for use below 40, i've run into no issues whatsoever through the mild texas winters (coldest lows of teens to 20s). i'm still on the oem contis.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Have you aligned the car after you replaced the tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMO A/S are not the best choice for an M Couppe, but they shouldn't be as bad as what you're experiencing

how many miles on them?
I put PS2s on my roadster and they were exactly like you describe, until the mold release wore off.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
ZedFourM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Have you aligned the car after you replaced the tires?
No, but the old tires had very even wear, and as the swap wouldn't affect the alignment, I didn't feel the need, nor, off the cuff, would see why an alignment issue would make the handling worse than it was :30 minutes prior to the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
IMO A/S are not the best choice for an M Couppe, but they shouldn't be as bad as what you're experiencing

how many miles on them?
I put PS2s on my roadster and they were exactly like you describe, until the mold release wore off.
Maybe I am being to paranoid, and I did think both about mold release and skin effect on the outside surface from being in contact with the mold and having the most cure. Probably have 250 miles on them now and though they're definitely better it's not the way I remember the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Before I knew anything about tires, I was talked into putting A/S on my 3.0i because of the higher treadwear rating. They were much better than the RFTs the car came with. I later replaced the A/S with summer, and have never looked back. I will NEVER put A/S tires on a sports car again.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0