ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I might try to remove these tires without damaging them, and exchange them for 265s
      08-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #24
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Sorry someone gave you bad advice. That wheel/tire combination sticks out way too far. It would be better if you could avoid bodywork on the rear fenders. You could get some racing lower control arms and put an extreme amount of negative camber on the rear tires, but that would adversely affect handling and tire wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Yeah, I hope the tire shop will be able to remove these tires without any marks, so I'll be able to exchange them for 265s or 275s : /

otherwise I'll have to foot the $420 bill for those 285s, unless someone here is looking for a new set of Hankook V12s
      08-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #26
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Damn, that sucks. Looks like the et+33 offset may have been better after all. They do make 3 & 5 mm spacers. You can always push a higher offset out with spacers, but you can't bring an offset that is too low back in. I guess you could try to find a CNC shop and have them grind a few millimeters off the mounting surface of the flange...

Now I'm sitting here, ready to have tires put on my wheels and thinking WTF, with an 18x10 et +27 and a 285 rear tire, am I going to be in the same boat? I'm starting to seriously wonder about the so-called advice I've gotten saying, "Oh, yeah, that'll fit, no problem.".....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Do what I SHOULD have done:

1. Use http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp to find out how much further they will stick out than stock.
2. Measure how your stock setup to see how far you can push them out before they start sticking out of the fender. I measured 20mm for the rear.
3. On tire rack, find out the physical width of the tire. There are 2 width, its the higher #.
4. Your 10" wheels are actually 11" wide. 10" is the mounting width. Then take Tire width minus 11". Thats how much wider that tires are than the wheels. Divide by 2 to see how much the tires will stick out on the fender side.
5. Now you have 2 measurements. How much the wheel sticks out + add the tire sticking out. If its more than 20mm.... it'll be past your fenders
      08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Damn, that sucks. Looks like the et+33 offset may have been better after all. They do make 3 & 5 mm spacers. You can always push a higher offset out with spacers, but you can't bring an offset that is too low back in. I guess you could try to find a CNC shop and have them grind a few millimeters off the mounting surface of the flange...

Now I'm sitting here, ready to have tires put on my wheels and thinking WTF, with an 18x10 et +27 and a 285 rear tire, am I going to be in the same boat? I'm starting to seriously wonder about the so-called advice I've gotten saying, "Oh, yeah, that'll fit, no problem.".....
Your WHEEL setup will stick out 1mm LESS than a 9.5 et 20 like mine. All depends on the tire width. Go get measuring. You have about 5mm left to the fender (or 10mm total extra tire width) as a sticking out point
      08-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #29
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the explanation Roffle - hadn't thought it through that way. I'm going to be right at that 20 mm mark you mentioned - not real happy about it either. I was hoping for a really slight tuck if anything, flush with the fender at most and certainly not anything beyond the fender. My tires will add about 4-5 mm to the outside wheel width, so it's going to be real similar to yours no doubt. Tires getting mounted tomorrow. Not sure where I'll be once that is done. Probably looking to sell on my own if I don't like it.

Not sure you or anyone else can imagine the low of lows I'm feeling - it's been about 4 months in the works, getting these wheels, and a small bank invested relatively speaking. I have a shimmer of hope that it will turn out ok, but I'm really worried that the time, effort and money spent to hold out for this will be a total let down inthe end..... How do you dispute advice given by the guy who engineered the wheels in the first place, is the proprietor of the company making them, and owns an M coupe to boot - I mean, I was told flat out that even though they are being made for E46 M3, they'll definitely fit the Z4M.....here we go again about shit advice..... If I'm lucky, I'll eat my words tomorrow evening when I put the wheels on the car, and I'll be happy about it but I don't think that will be happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #30
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep

Found out there is a world class machine shop right here in town - perhaps I'll be knocking on their door to see if they can shave of 3-4 mm from the wheel flange and keep it without runout.....

(Please, just fit and look good, please fit and look good, please fit and look good.....)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #31
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

if you're at 20mm, you're gonna be fine man. Don't sweat it.