ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Nitto Nt-01 pressure temp question

Anyone who has experience running NT-01's know what the optimal hot pressure is and hot temp is?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

38psi hot is what I run mine with and they've worked great at that temperature.
      04-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That seems pretty high for a race tire....I have never used a race/track tire with hot pressure over around 34-35 psi unless was really cold. You know the temps you are running? I am in Florida so gets quite hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
That seems pretty high for a race tire....I have never used a race/track tire with hot pressure over around 34-35 psi unless was really cold. You know the temps you are running? I am in Florida so gets quite hot.
I didn't check the tires with the Pyrometer this past weekend but pressures were at 37-38 when I came in hot (starting at 31-32 degrees), I run about 4 degrees of camber up front. My first few sessions I ran them at lower temperatures and they had great grip, it wasn't until I really started pouring it on and got them hot that the grip went through the roof, they definitely needed to get hotter than I expected for maximum grip. Outside temperatures this past weekend were 85-90 in Savannah were I was running at Roebling road. Most of the other cars running these tires (mainly Porsche since it was a PCA event) agreed that the NT01 seems to like a higher range than say a Hoosier R6 or BFG R1.
      04-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good info. Will keep that in mind. What sizes are you running (tire and wheel)?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

245/40/18 and 275/35/18 on the Apex wheels (9 and 10s). Rears rub a tad, quick roll should take care of that. Front required a 10-12mm spacer to clear the springs with extra camber.

What tracks / groups do you normally run with ? Looking to get some events in down at PBIR soon and Sebring once things cool back down.
      04-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Used to race BMWCCA, NASA, and PBOC (when I moved to Fl). Did a lot of Chin Events as instructor in my last car (Lotus Exige). Just going to do a few track events in my M coupe when I get my brakes in the mail. Should be doing Chin and whatever runs at PBIR when I can get there. My car is stock. I'll let you know when I get it set up and can go so we can meet up. Should be able to do something by end of May. Have some other obligations killing me before then. You?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
Used to race BMWCCA, NASA, and PBOC (when I moved to Fl). Did a lot of Chin Events as instructor in my last car (Lotus Exige). Just going to do a few track events in my M coupe when I get my brakes in the mail. Should be doing Chin and whatever runs at PBIR when I can get there. My car is stock. I'll let you know when I get it set up and can go so we can meet up. Should be able to do something by end of May. Have some other obligations killing me before then. You?
Normally run with PCA Crown and Citrus up at Roebling and instruct at their events. I sneak out to Sebring when I can, starting to branch out to the other tracks within 300-500 miles since I started trailer the car to the events. I've got a few events planned in Savannah and Road Atlanta for May, and then I'll likely take June/July/August off or try and hit some of the "under the lights" events at PBIR when I can.