ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Bridgestone RFTs...yes or no

So, as you guys all know 19" tires are pretty expensive...$600 and up for a complete set. I'm considering purchasing a set of gently used Bridgestone RFTs 225/35/19 F and 255/30/19 R, ~80% tread remaining, for my newest set of wheels, WedsSport SA-67R.

I know a lot of people don't like the ride quality of RFTs, not to mention the price. How bad is the ride quality?

I don't want to spend $600 and up on tires right now and the price of the Bridgestone RFTs are too good to be true .

BTW, I don't track my car and I don't drive it daily anymore (especially with gas prices at $4.39 for premium and only going up). Please let me know your thoughts before I decide to pull the trigger

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I only have experience with RFTs in 18" diameter but IMO the complaints are exaggerated. I live in a part of the country with pretty shitty roads, and while the ride could have been better, it wasn't the first of my worries and nor did switching to non RFTs (snow tires in stock size) make a huge difference. This was on my 335 which comes with 225/40R18 255/35R18 RE50A Potenza RFTs.

On my E86 I have 225/40R18 255/35R18 Michelin PS2 ZP (zero pressure, their nomenclature for run flat tire) and they are better than the Bridgestones were...how much of this can be attributed to different chassis/suspension (I'm on KWV3s) I'm not positive, but going from 245/45R18 Blizzak LM60s to the PS2 ZPs was not a night and day difference. If you can get these tires on the cheap, it's definitely worth a shot IMO. IIRC from my few trips to SD, the roads are in pretty good condition.

OT: 3.49 won't even get me regular! Paid 4.09 for 93 last night

Edit: Did I hallucinate 3.49 or did you ninja edit that

Last edited by BTM; 04-09-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
So, as you guys all know 19" tires are pretty expensive...$600 and up for a complete set. I'm considering purchasing a set of gently used Bridgestone RFTs 225/35/19 F and 255/30/19 R, ~80% tread remaining, for my newest set of wheels, WedsSport SA-67R.

I know a lot of people don't like the ride quality of RFTs, not to mention the price. How bad is the ride quality?

I don't want to spend $600 and up on tires right now and the price of the Bridgestone RFTs are too good to be true .

BTW, I don't track my car and I don't drive it daily anymore (especially with gas prices at $4.39 for premium and only going up). Please let me know your thoughts before I decide to pull the trigger
I am curious what the Bridgestone RTFs are? I am running Potanza RE 050A RTFs right now (will change them for next summer), and although the ride is not the smoothest, I like it, it gives a sense of rawness to the car.

I live in a country where the streets look and feel as if there have been bombings last night. It is unbelievable. And here we still run RTF tires and do not complain about the harshness of the ride. I really do not understand why ppl in the US complain about this since you drive on far better roads than we do. If you want to learn to appreciate your roads, I'd advice you to come here with your car and drive around the centre of the city for a day, you will never complain about the roads in the US.

I am not sure how much the tires that you are looking at cost new there, but here the RE 050As that I am running cost around 1300 USD for a complete set. If those are the same tires then its a good deal. In terms of grip, I have to say that I am not amazed. It is adequate but I know it can be a lot better. That's why I am planing on going PS3 or PSS for next summer on 18" BMW Performance Wheels. The PS3s are not RTF, but they have a strengthened board, which acts as RTFs, but makes the ride a lot softer. I'd reckon the PSSs have the same board.

Oh, and talking about fuel prices... try 7.90 USD per galon, then complain. :P
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

IMHO something less than $600 is pretty reasonable for a set of tires of that size- even used. For a little more you could get a set of Conti Extreme DWS that appear as if they will last for a while(at least 25-35k) vs about 10-15k miles for the Bridgestone RFT's. If you dont have the bucks go for the used ones - they are not a bad tire. But they will ride rougher than non RFTs. Its a RFT thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
I am curious what the Bridgestone RTFs are? I am running Potanza RE 050A RTFs right now (will change them for next summer), and although the ride is not the smoothest, I like it, it gives a sense of rawness to the car.

I live in a country where the streets look and feel as if there have been bombings last night. It is unbelievable. And here we still run RTF tires and do not complain about the harshness of the ride. I really do not understand why ppl in the US complain about this since you drive on far better roads than we do. If you want to learn to appreciate your roads, I'd advice you to come here with your car and drive around the centre of the city for a day, you will never complain about the roads in the US.

I am not sure how much the tires that you are looking at cost new there, but here the RE 050As that I am running cost around 1300 USD for a complete set. If those are the same tires then its a good deal. In terms of grip, I have to say that I am not amazed. It is adequate but I know it can be a lot better. That's why I am planing on going PS3 or PSS for next summer on 18" BMW Performance Wheels. The PS3s are not RTF, but they have a strengthened board, which acts as RTFs, but makes the ride a lot softer. I'd reckon the PSSs have the same board.

Oh, and talking about fuel prices... try 7.90 USD per galon, then complain. :P
Dude, sorry your roads suck, I'm not sorry ours dont suck in comparison. And Im not sorry our gas is cheaper. Maybe one day it will be cheaper there for you. I dont live in your shoes, but everyone has had their, "this sucks" times. Some of those times are a whole lot worse that "this road sucks." But if it sucks that bad for you, and if you can, change the paradigm. If you are driving something like a zed I'm guessin life doesnt suck anymore for you than it does for me. GL
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Sorry but Potenza RFTs get a no from me especially the 255/30/19 size. I've seen countless 3ers with cracked OEM rims because of how stiff they are and how thin the sidewall is. And if that doesn't happen i've seen extreme camber wear as well (on a bone stock car), by the time you wear them down to ~4mms of tread you'll be driving on the belts on the inside of the tire.

That's just my experience with that size Potenza, other sizes don't have that problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
misterawa
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the wheels ! I pulled the trigger and bought a set of Bridgestone RE50A Potenza RFTs (80% tread left,even tread) for $350 installed...OMG, what a stea l...thanks to good old craigslist.

BTM, you're lucky, gas prices are affordable where you live!

Arxangel, you're right, they're not really the smoothest, but they do give a sense of rawness. Sorry to hear about you're gas prices there...$7.99 a gallon, ouch .

Overall, very happy with the tires ! Fitment was perfect with my wheels (aggressive 30 offset). I'll post pics in the JDM wheel thread.

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the wheels ! I pulled the trigger and bought a set of Bridgestone RE50A Potenza RFTs (80% tread left,even tread) for $350 installed...OMG, what a stea l...thanks to good old craigslist.

Arxangel, you're right, they're not really the smoothest, but they do give a sense of rawness. Sorry to hear about you're gas prices there...$7.99 a gallon, ouch .

Overall, very happy with the tires ! Fitment was perfect with my wheels (aggressive 30 offset). I'll post pics in the JDM wheel thread.
Good to hear you like them. For next tire change, give PS3 or PSS a try. They have a higher thread wear rating than the RE050A and give a softer ride and greater grip.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:

Well...not so fast...paid 4.18 yesterday...at least I don't have to fill up in Cook County or Chicago
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
misterawa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Well...not so fast...paid 4.18 yesterday...at least I don't have to fill up in Cook County or Chicago
I was considering filling up my daily driver today and noticed that regular unleaded was $4.18 a gallon...ouch .

Appreciate 0