ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Punko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

TPMS question, tire pressure

Saw a couple posts that indicate it it possible to transfer a set of TPMS sensors from wheel to wheel without taking the tires off.

Can someone please confirm and supply a how to.

This is for a 2007 Z4MC

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

as far as i'm aware, u will have to unmount the tires on ur stock wheels to swap the tpms onto a new set of wheels and tires as they're located on the inside of the wheels themselves. i don't have tpms on my '06 and have not seen this done so a pinch of salt on my comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

For the Z4M, you will have to deflate the tire and crimp in the portion of your tire that covers the valve stem area. You don't have to unmount the tire though, and therefore a re-balance won't be absolutely necessary.

edit: by "crimp in", I'm referring to the tire mount/dismounting tool that shops use. It might not make much sense if you don't have access to one of these said machines, but just know that they deflate the tire, take out the valve stem pin, and then use a lot of machine pressure to pop in the tire at certain locations around the wheel.
For this case, you only need to crimp the valve stem portion to access the sensor itself. Then it's just a few open hex wrenches to unmount the sensor. PM me if you still have any more questions. I'd be glad to help explain it further

Last edited by mfanatic325; 04-12-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0