ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Want to Move Up to a Premium Damper Set and Looking For Advice

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking at moving up to a more serious/premium suspension set up this year but am kind of at a cross roads when it comes to making a decision. I have had two ground control kits in the past and liked them but I feel like I'm ready for something a little better than the good old S/A Koni's. Primary use will be street (Personally, I don't mind stiff suspension on the street), 12-15 autocross events per year, and a handful of track days (probably 4-5 tops).

Price isn't a big deal but it'd be nice to keep it around $3500 for everything. I would also like something double adjustable as well. I want to keep a divorced spring/shock rear as I don't want to have to modify or reinforce my rear shock towers to hold the load of a coil over rear setup. I'm open to external reservoir dampers but their cost jumps considerably over non external reservoirs.

So far I've looked at:

AST 4200's
Pro: Great reviews and they're proven. Not too costly.
Con: Not sure if they even make anything for the Z4 M.

MCS D/A's (no external reservoir)
Pros: based out of US. Proven product. I know people personally who have them and love them.
Cons: I'm only able to find external reservoir D/A's for the Z4 M.

Nitron
Pros: Great feedback from users. Very high quality. Great record with Lotus guys.
Cons: I don't even think they make D/A's with no reservoir.

Moton
Pros: Arguably the best out there.
Cons: The most expensive I've found.

If anyone has any feedback on these sets or any other more upscale dampers I haven't thought of I'd appreciate your input!
      03-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking at moving up to a more serious/premium suspension set up this year but am kind of at a cross roads when it comes to making a decision. I have had two ground control kits in the past and liked them but I feel like I'm ready for something a little better than the good old S/A Koni's. Primary use will be street (Personally, I don't mind stiff suspension on the street), 12-15 autocross events per year, and a handful of track days (probably 4-5 tops).

Price isn't a big deal but it'd be nice to keep it around $3500 for everything. I would also like something double adjustable as well. I want to keep a divorced spring/shock rear as I don't want to have to modify or reinforce my rear shock towers to hold the load of a coil over rear setup. I'm open to external reservoir dampers but their cost jumps considerably over non external reservoirs.

So far I've looked at:

AST 4200's

Pros: based out of US. Proven product. I know people personally who have them and love them.

Nitron
Pros: Great feedback from users. Very high quality. Great record with Lotus guys.

Moton

If anyone has any feedback on these sets or any other more upscale dampers I haven't thought of I'd appreciate your input!
Get the external reservoir MCS , there is a reason almost every pro team is running them this year . Best suspension I've ever experienced and they were reasonable cost wise .
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

I've been happy with my AST SA 4150s. About $3300 with Swift springs and Vorschlag camber plates. I'll be looking to convert them to DA when I have them rebuilt.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Get the external reservoir MCS , there is a reason almost every pro team is running them this year . Best suspension I've ever experienced and they were reasonable cost wise .
THIS. MCS is founded by former Moton engineers and founders when AST bought Moton. They're about as good as money can buy for professional level dampers and they know what they're doing. If you're going to go upscale, I have NEVER hear anyone running them complain. EVER.

You left a couple of premium dampers off the list. Öhlin and JRZ both make premium dampers. Öhlin in particular has a "road and track" version that's more road friendly than the upper echelon D/A with remote reservoir kits from MCS, Moton, and JRZ as a good step up from entry level dampers.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
Hello Everyone!

So far I've looked at:

AST 4200's

Nitron

Moton

For your price range' i would suggest brian hanchey's company. He was head of ast usa and started his own company. They made custom jri's to ast 4200 specs' with the fix that ast refused to make to the 4200. Other than the moton, it is the best option in your price range. http://www.hancheyvehicletech.com/
Hvt 6200 by jri.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. Great thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Sorry it's taken me forever to respond! I appreciate everyone's input. MCS was the one I was already leaning towards and I think the advice here solidified that even more. I didn't know the part about them being made up of ex Moton engineers. That's interesting.