ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
jeffroom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Stiff Steering

Guy i wonder u'll hv encounter tis problem.My Z4 2003 2.5 steering its seems abit stiff wen i try to turn and it did came a (TAK) sound.But the weird part is s'time the sound came out and s'times done.S'time wen im driving in the straight road wen i try to move the steering its abit stiff.Pls HELP...THX!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

English please.
      06-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
banger
Rep
Drives: 2008 Si Roadie

If I read the question properly, His 2003 2.5 steering seem stiff. Apparently sometimes when he is driving straight, he hears a "ticking sound". Even when driving straight, he can feel the stiffness.

Jeffroom, to answer your question, as you probably already know, the Z-4's have an electronic power steering units (except for the "M's).

This unit is quite different from most other engine pulley units used on most cars until now.

It seem quite probable that your unit has developed a malfunction. If it has, I would bring it to a dealer as soon as possible for repair. Malfunctioning steering can be quite dangerous.

Of course, there are other causes for this problem, such as suspension damage, tie rods etc..

I don't know how the road are in Malaysia, but be aware that the front end suspension on Z-4's can be somewhat delicate especially when it comes to alignment issues.

I hope I have given you some help.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
jeffroom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Thx banger!!...But i dun tink is the Malfunction steering coz thr is no lights coming fr the dash..
Appreciate 0