ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Electronic Power Steering Issue

Hey Guys,

Just want to give a big thank you to everyone offering support and advice to everyone with issues.

So 2 days ago I went for a drive and after stopping the car for shopping and restarting the power steering was not working. I noticed the EPS light on the dash stayed illuminated as well. After driving for for 5 minutes the power steering came back online and worked as it should.

I thought it might have been a one time fluke, however yesterday when I started the car the same situation took place. After a few stops though the power steering was not working at all.

I'm not sure where to start or how to even pull a code for this. I fear I'm going to have to take it into BMW to get the code pulled at this point.

I'm not going to lie, this is the wife's ride and I don't want her to drive without power steering. So any help would be extremely grateful.

Again thank you for any help or advice you can provide.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Go out and blow some shit up!

- Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

It's summer, Florida (if the info I see is correct), so unfortunately all the ingredients for this issue are there and then some! It's a heat related issue. It's a pretty common problem and there's been considerable discussion on it over the years.

Here's a good semi-recent discussion with a guide to addressing it. Others with the EPS (my is an /M and hydraulic) might be able to chime in the full story as this isn't my area of deep knowledge. But this should get you started. Best wishes on addressing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Florida is correct, just like I'm hoping that Major General (I'm guessing retired) is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Florida is correct, just like I'm hoping that Major General (I'm guessing retired) is correct.
I'm not military but there are plenty of guys here who are. Haven't hit retirement age although I'm working on doing that sooner rather than later. The titles are what the forum algorithm selects by default and post count. Might have to play with that default.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-09-2017 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Alright well I have an update. I took it in to get the code read and the ECU is not communicating. My guess is the entire thing is broke and I'm going to have replace it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright well I have an update. I took it in to get the code read and the ECU is not communicating. My guess is the entire thing is broke and I'm going to have replace it.
Ugh. Sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

I just wish someone new something about this issue....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

ok well the power steering kicked on today and was working fine.....I'm beginning to think I have a loose plug.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

knowthebattle,

There's a couple of issues with the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) system that has been going on for some time. Between the 03' and 6/06' (Non-M) models the production steering column had a lubrication / spacial issue in the worm gear assembly. Initially the discussions were surrounded on the lubrication drying out and the plastic composite worm gear expanding.

You may have seen this: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=bmwha

Anyhow the other Forum where a discussion ensued a user found that drilling into the hosing for the worm-gear assembly, adding a grease fitting, and pumping in a couple squirts from a grease gun re-lubed the gearing to the point it was like new. The only issue I see with this solution is the type of lubricants people are using, should be safe and high temp for plastics and metal.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...y-Steering-Fix

On the 6th page of the discussion (2nd post from bottom) a user performed the above process only to have his wife driving the car and the steering light to appear. The user mentioned his air pressures were off and after carefully adjusting the pressures it hasn't happened again. One thing that may have helped here is the "reset" procedure with your key.

Finally the last thing I found for the steering issue was that by adjusting the eccentric ring, part of the steering column, you can increase the space between the metal gear and plastic worm gear so that any heat expansion wouldn't affect the steering.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78250

I'm still sorting out what I'm going to do for my Sticky Steering, but Hope some of this will be of some help to you.

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP

Last edited by WhoU4; 08-05-2017 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Tiny URL's Not Functioning...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Well I've found out something interesting with this issue. The power steering will kick on and work flawlessly when the car has been sitting in the sun all day. When it cools off and the car is shut off and restarted after sitting a few minutes the power steering will not work anymore.

I have no idea at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

I would suspect you have a problem other than the 'classic' heat issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

yea it sounds like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

UPDATE:

Took the car in, power is going into it, but nothing is coming out. So what I understand is that something electrical related is the issue and not the whole column. Maybe the servo motor?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

UPDATE:

So i was able to successfully take the steering column out and replace the EPS motor and the ecu attached to the top. I also used white lithium grease in the gears. I reassembled it and it works! I have power steering again.

I unfortunately have an AIRBAG light on now, but I think it was my own fault when I put power to the battery to move the seat back.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #15
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
UPDATE:

So i was able to successfully take the steering column out and replace the EPS motor and the ecu attached to the top. I also used white lithium grease in the gears. I reassembled it and it works! I have power steering again.

I unfortunately have an AIRBAG light on now, but I think it was my own fault when I put power to the battery to move the seat back.
If you turn the ignition on with any part of the SRS system disconnected you are going to fail the power on SRS test and get and SRS light. This is a certainty. If the SRS controller runs the power on test when you reconnect the battery and it does a cold boot, you'll get an SRS light. This is more a possibility than a certainty.
      01-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Alright so I'm gonna have to take it in to get the codes cleared, thank you.
Appreciate 0