ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

N52 vs N52K????

I am considering joining the club again with a 2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0SI, but I came across some information that suggest the n52 was "upgraded" in late 2006 to become the N52K...which if true means that was the engine in my 2007 coupe and I want that same engine

are there differences in the n52's in 2007 and 2008's vs 2006's?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

here's the info I am referring to:

The engine underwent minor modifications in September 2006 and is now designated
N52K. With the introduction of the N52K, modifications were made in following areas:
• Cylinder head cover
• Camshafts
• Crankshaft
• Stem diameter of exhaust valves increased to 6 mm instead of 5 mm
• Torsional vibration damper
• Crankcase ventilation
• Hot-film air mass meter (HFM)
• Throttle valve
• Digital motor electronics
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

There's a N52 wiki page. Might be helpful.

My advice -- buy it. Manual coupes are hounds teeth and very nice to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
There's a N52 wiki page. Might be helpful.

My advice -- buy it. Manual coupes are hounds teeth and very nice to drive.
Thanks nothing on that page that clarifies...

yes I loved my 2007...just want to be sure the 2006 will drive the same...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Thanks nothing on that page that clarifies...

yes I loved my 2007...just want to be sure the 2006 will drive the same...
Are you sure your 07 wasn't built in 2006? I believe the 2007 model year started in production in September 2006.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
It's been a little while, but if memory serves the differences are due to...

1) the N52 had some pretty serious issues with the CVV freezing in cold climates. the N52K design changes helped, but did not completely solve that problem.

2) the N52 valve covers leaked constantly, so a change in valve cover design was introduced to help with that. it solved most of the issues, but the N52K is still known to leak.

but the biggest reason...

3) the N52 sounds like a diesel engine when it's cold out. BMW was pretty desperate to try and fix this issue as they were replacing cylinder heads on thousands upon thousands of cars under warranty due to customer complaint (3's, 5's, X3's, Z4's... you name it). the list you show above covers some of the changes they tried before settling that the original cause was a lack of anti-flowback valve in the head (which the N52K has). basically, the N52 "lifter noise" is due to the car sitting in the cold. the hot and thin engine oil would easily drain out of the head, then upon cold start (usually the next morning) the valve train would be "dry" (not really... just using this word for effect). without sufficient oil, the lifters make a hell of a racket. eventually, BMW no longer put heads on cars, and instead would just pay for new lifters. the tapping noise always comes back though. however; there are some (myself included), that have moved to 0W-40 in their N52's and it does help (though very cold days still produce the loud rattle).

it should be noted that my 2006 325xit has 174k miles on it with original head and lifters and no failure of any type. yes the valve cover gaskets have been changed a few times, as has the CCV, but the internals have been solid. the noise is just noise... a mere annoyance on super cold days... and nothing to be scared of. there is an updated CCV system was available at one time that had the installer hardwire in a heating element or two around new fully insulated CCV drain hoses, but I'm unsure if that's still available.

edit: NOTE! the N52K still has lifter noise when it's cold out. it's not as bad as the N52, but it is still there.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
wdb4673.00
      06-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

So my 2006 Z4 SI has the N52.

I live in Canada where it is bloody cold. It was 38F this morning. I have never had an issue with my CVV.

My car has NEVER sounded like a diesel.

It has never had lifter noise since I've owned the car, which I bought in September 2009.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
So my 2006 Z4 SI has the N52.

I live in Canada where it is bloody cold. It was 38F this morning. I have never had an issue with my CVV.

My car has NEVER sounded like a diesel.

It has never had lifter noise since I've owned the car, which I bought in September 2009.
yeah... by cold I mean below zero F.

I worked for BMW NA from 2005 to 2015. the CCV is definitely a weak point. the ignition coils are also poorly designed (Remi's fault, not BMW's... the Bosch replacements are fine).

it's also possible, that Canadian cars had the heated and insulated CCV parts from the get-go. I'm only familiar with the US spec cars where regardless of where in the US the car was purchased, it has the "Hot Climate" pkg codes. even of the car has the "Cold Weather" add-on pkg. along with coding for additional HVAC throughput, this code also modifies some oil coolers (talking brand-wide, not looking only at E85/6), so it's not a far leap of logic to think the cars here in the states may have less insulation on oil vapor lines as well.

edit: the CCV deal for the N52 isn't a big deal like it was for the M54... it won't cause the engine to hydrolock... just have excessive oil consumption.

Last edited by v3.2mc; 06-12-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
yeah... by cold I mean below zero F.

I worked for BMW NA from 2005 to 2015. the CCV is definitely a weak point. the ignition coils are also poorly designed (Remi's fault, not BMW's... the Bosch replacements are fine).

it's also possible, that Canadian cars had the heated and insulated CCV parts from the get-go. I'm only familiar with the US spec cars where regardless of where in the US the car was purchased, it has the "Hot Climate" pkg codes. even of the car has the "Cold Weather" add-on pkg. along with coding for additional HVAC throughput, this code also modifies some oil coolers (talking brand-wide, not looking only at E85/6), so it's not a far leap of logic to think the cars here in the states may have less insulation on oil vapor lines as well.

edit: the CCV deal for the N52 isn't a big deal like it was for the M54... it won't cause the engine to hydrolock... just have excessive oil consumption.
My car was imported from Florida, so its a US spec car. like I say, its been running perfectly since I got it.

I should point out that N52 lifter noise was a big issue on this forum in 2009 so I made sure to ask about it before I bought the car. The dealer in Florida told me that the car already had extensive work done on the cylinder head so the lifter noise issues was likely fixed before I got the car. In any event, the car sounds fine, even when I start it when the temperature is almost at 0C / 32F.

Good to know re the Bosch ignition coils being a good choice over OEM (unless they have converted to Bosch now).

What is a rough cost for a new and improved CCV?

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Good to know re the Bosch ignition coils being a good choice over OEM (unless they have converted to Bosch now).
they would have been Remi from the factory. at the production end on the N52 (all variants) BMW switched to Bosch for all warranty concerns (basically EOP E90 lci). technically that makes them OEM, but that's splitting hairs.

Quote:
What is a rough cost for a new and improved CCV?
here is the updated kit. you can see the drain lines are insulated and also have the heating element wires.
NOTE: there are separate kits available for AWD cars, X3's, and X5's.

in addition... this can also be an issue for some cars.

unrelated, but still worth mentioning... the belt tensioner is also a weak area on the N52 (all variants). if the belt looks like it has moved at all on the pulley, consider replacing ASAP. i've seen the serp belt get sucked through the front crank seal due to that thing failing. bad day.

to emphasize though! i've owned many N52/K/N/T's and have never had any major issues. these are simply things to know about... not freak out about.

i have a couple N52K heads and lifter sets out in the garage. if i remember, i'll snap some pics and post them in here later for funsies.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
they would have been Remi from the factory. at the production end on the N52 (all variants) BMW switched to Bosch for all warranty concerns (basically EOP E90 lci). technically that makes them OEM, but that's splitting hairs.

here is the updated kit. you can see the drain lines are insulated and also have the heating element wires.
NOTE: there are separate kits available for AWD cars, X3's, and X5's.

in addition... this can also be an issue for some cars.

unrelated, but still worth mentioning... the belt tensioner is also a weak area on the N52 (all variants). if the belt looks like it has moved at all on the pulley, consider replacing ASAP. i've seen the serp belt get sucked through the front crank seal due to that thing failing. bad day.

to emphasize though! i've owned many N52/K/N/T's and have never had any major issues. these are simply things to know about... not freak out about.

i have a couple N52K heads and lifter sets out in the garage. if i remember, i'll snap some pics and post them in here later for funsies.
Thanks - this is great information!

Appreciate 0