ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
archerdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6MT 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Valve cover gasket DIY gone wrong

So hopefully someone can help me. I changed my valve cover gasket and i figured I would change my eccentric shaft sensor gasket since the kit I bought came with it. After about 10 minutes of prying to get the old one out I started to put the new one it, but it wouldn't "push right in" like some posts say. After about 2 hours of fighting I gave up.

So...therein lies the problem. I have learned a few things.
1. Metal valve covers have a different gasket part number than plastic ones, but they seem to be the same gasket.
2. It seems to be physically impossible to make the gasket fit. Short of making the hole bigger which is looking better all the time....

This is on a 2006 Z4 3.0si with a metal valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

What are you using to lubricate the seal before you try to press it in place? If you've got some silicone grease or even some silicone spray that should help.
      03-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
archerdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6MT 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I have discovered the problem, the old eccentric shaft sensor gasket came out in pieces, so I assumed I had removed it all. I was wrong, the gasket is metal reinforced with a solid metal ring molded into the rubber, I had only removed the inner portion of the gasket leaving half the gasket. Once I pried out the metal ring and the rest of the gasket the new one popped right in.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerdog View Post
I have discovered the problem, the old eccentric shaft sensor gasket came out in pieces, so I assumed I had removed it all. I was wrong, the gasket is metal reinforced with a solid metal ring molded into the rubber, I had only removed the inner portion of the gasket leaving half the gasket. Once I pried out the metal ring and the rest of the gasket the new one popped right in.
There you go! I knew it was a bit tough to get in but from what you were describing it was certainly harder than mine was. Glad you figured it out!