ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Finally got a flat - some questions

On the way back from lunch today I noticed my TPMS come on. After getting home and checking the tire pressure I saw that my right rear tire was down to under 10 PSI. Took the wheel off and inspected -- sure enough, a shard of metal had pierced the middle block between the grooves. I pulled it out with some pliers and heard air leaking out right away.

Tires are practically brand new, <1000 miles.

A few questions:

1. Since it's on the rear axle, should I replace both? Tire is a Nitto NT-05 in 275/35R18. Almost 200 of the ~1000 miles were at a weekend HPDE. Tread depth is worn down to around 6/32", maybe a hair less (new is 7.2/32"). I remember reading something about it being bad for the LSD if tires are slightly different sizes due to wear, but I don't remember what the tolerance was. I guess another option is to get the new tire shaved.

2. Should I bother patching it? They're backordered through Discount Tire, where I had gotten them originally. I was planning to attend an autocross at Tire Rack in South Bend, IN (~100 miles away) next weekend. I definitely plan to get new tire(s) in time for my next track event since I wouldn't feel comfortable running on patched/plugged tires on the track, but I figure autocross/highway use might be okay. The puncture is towards the center of the contact patch -- nowhere close to the sidewall. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

dekaliber,

Plugging the tire and using it on the street should be fine. I agree, however, that using it at track events would be a bad idea. Depending on how many track days you do, it might be worth investing in a second set of wheels and a full set of shaved tires to go with them.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Funny I just noticed tonight a large nail head sticking out of my tire tread. I'm sure its punctured unless its a 1/2 inch long nail with a thumbnail size head. I never pull anything out of my tires cause ther is no spare and it will let the air out. As long as the object is helping hold air, I'll drive it that way to a tire shop to get it repaired in the morning.
      05-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Maybe I am just lucky, but I plugged a hole in my P Zero Rosso on my Boxster many years ago. Did a track day at Road Atlanta with no issues what-so-ever. My Z4M has a plug in one of its well worn rear tires and has been fine for over a year(no tracking).

In your situation I would have the tire patched. It should be good as new. I can't imagine an issue even with tracking the car with a solid patch in place.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to my last track instructor and he said that he's run patch-plugged tires on R-comps before on the track without problems, although he doesn't necessarily recommend doing it. I plan on getting it fixed tomorrow and using it for autocross. I probably will still buy a new tire for track just in case -- I'd hate to have $200 be the reason to have something potentially much worse happen to my car.
Appreciate 0