ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

"Ironing" marks on Roadie Top

That's what they look like to me, but they must be from when the top is down. They are those marks on the roof where the material is flattened. Any idea h to get rid of them? Maybe steam and then a brush?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Clean and protect with BMW, Ragg Topp, or 303
      10-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Hogndos
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Titanium Silver

I have the same marks on my black top..."ironing marks" is a perfect description...I do clean and protect with RaggTop and it has had no impact... I think they are pressure points from the frame when folded and even if you could raise the nap somehow I would guess they would just re-appear once the top is folded again...my 2cents

I can't imagine putting 303 on a cloth top but maybe so... the RaggTop is really great stuff...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Yup, I use Raggtopp as well and it certainly will have no effect on the fold lines. I too wonder about steaming. Has anyone tried this? I wold think that as long as the top is kept stretched (closed) while drying that, in theory, this should work.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Take it to a really good detailer. That or replacing the top are your only options. A good detailer might have the knowledge on this and would be cheaper.
      10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep

Found a previous thread on this. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548211

Doesn't seem like much can be done for these "age lines" in the top. I'll just think of them as smile creases from good times with the top down more than its up.

Actually, there was one suggestion in that thread about using Downy to try and lift the crushed fibers. I'll see what the Raggtop folks say about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Why is your top up in the first place?

You're doing it wrong!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Why is your top up in the first place?

You're doing it wrong!
No arguing with that advice!!!!

Now, I do believe that some folks have remarked that either the BMW or Ragg-Topp canvas top cleaner and conditioner will get rid of some of these marks. but they will return as you continue to use the roof.

If that is so, then I guess that when you get enough of these lines to really annoy you, it wil serve to remind you to clean and condition the top again.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
puciorek
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M

just a quick question: is this what I should use to clean and protect the top for my roadster, just want to make sure I am getting the right product...thanks much.

RAGGTOPP Convertible Top Fabric Care Kit - #01165

One Bottle of RAGGTOPP Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner
One Can of RAGGTOPP Fabric Protectant
MSRP$37.95
FREE SHIPPING Special!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puciorek View Post
just a quick question: is this what I should use to clean and protect the top for my roadster, just want to make sure I am getting the right product...thanks much.

RAGGTOPP Convertible Top Fabric Care Kit - #01165

One Bottle of RAGGTOPP Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner
One Can of RAGGTOPP Fabric Protectant
MSRP$37.95
FREE SHIPPING Special!
Yup
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

303 is also really good, check out this thread I posted a picture of my top.

There's really nothing you can do about the "ironing" marks, but you can minimize them.
      10-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
puciorek
Private
No_Country
Rep

good stuff, thank you gentlemen!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
elerner61
Major
Rep

So I've spoken with Rick at Wolfsteins (makers of Raggtopp) and then Marc Elliott over at Haartz. The bottom line is we shouldn't be storing/leaving our roadies with the tops down.

The crease lines that are merely marks will come out over time with cleaning and having the top up in sun.

The crease lines where the fabric pile is now compressed and has a shiny appearance are pretty much there for good. Those are from when the top is down and the car is in motion, and the fabric is wearing against itself AND when the top is stored in the down position for periods of time.

The only change I may be making is if I know I'm done with the car for the day, I may put the top up for the night in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Good advice.

I don't mind leaving the top down for a while if the car is in the shade. But if its parked in the direct sunlight on a hot summer day, I tend to close the top to avoid all that UV beating up on the interior of the car's leather and plastic and possibly damaging or weathering it over the long term.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Ok...

So to make sure you don't get the lines in the top, keep the top up as much as possible.

Or, if you have the top down, make sure to put it up each and every time you are done with the car. But of course that method means that the rubbing will cause the lines as well.

And then you'll put extra wear and tear on the top motor and have to replace that sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I generally don't leave the top down when the car is unattended in public, parked overnight even at my house, or if its parked in the direct hot sun. Parking in public top down worries me - I don't want to be the victim of a hater who may toss garbage or a lit cigarette butt into the car. Based on occasional reports here and on other Z forums, there are folks out there who would probably do such a thing and get a kick out of it.

Other than that, it gets used and if the motor wears, I'll have it replaced or use the top manually.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I generally don't leave the top down when the car is unattended in public, parked overnight even at my house, or if its parked in the direct hot sun. Parking in public top down worries me - I don't want to be the victim of a hater who may toss garbage or a lit cigarette butt into the car. Based on occasional reports here and on other Z forums, there are folks out there who would probably do such a thing and get a kick out of it.

Other than that, it gets used and if the motor wears, I'll have it replaced or use the top manually.
Even when I had my Miata I never left the top down in public anywhere. It too had a locking mechanism for interior storage, but I just dont trust people, period. The Bimmer would definitely draw the attention of "haters" though. I've already been keyed once, I can only imagine if I had left the top down what would have happened
      10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Dang! Bum news for sure elerner61. I leave my top down for about 5 months while I am using the hardtop. In the summer, when I park in my garage, I generally leave it down overnight too.
      10-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
elerner61
Major
Rep

I forgot about the "top down while the hardtop is on" thing. I had a hardtop on my Miatas (I miss it, been keeping my eye out for one, but they sure are hard to grab for the Z).

And yeah, been thinking about the "extra down and up at the end of the day in the garage burning out the motor sooner" thing.

Basically...we're screwed. May as well just do as you want and pay the piper when you need to, with this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
I forgot about the "top down while the hardtop is on" thing. I had a hardtop on my Miatas (I miss it, been keeping my eye out for one, but they sure are hard to grab for the Z).

And yeah, been thinking about the "extra down and up at the end of the day in the garage burning out the motor sooner" thing.

Basically...we're screwed. May as well just do as you want and pay the piper when you need to, with this one.
I think most top motor failures are due to water damaging the motor. The water accumulates when the drains get blocked. So, if you keep the drains clear, or reduce opportunity for them to get blocked by garaging your car at night, in bad weather or during the winter, you may dodge that bullet for quite some time.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
puciorek
Private
No_Country
Rep

..."The water accumulates when the drains get blocked. So, if you keep the drains clear"...

Sorry to ask this question, I am sure it has been talked about in the past but how do you clean these drains? or check whether or not they are clean?
Secondly, let's say I only drive short distances daily (8 miles and less) so by folding the top and putting it back up, does that drain significantly the battery?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
My previous car was an S2000. I had it for 13 years and used to leave the top open all the time when it was parked. After I had the top replaced at 10 years I used to put the top up when it was parked but I would leave the windows down, unless I was just making a quick stop somewhere. It wasn't until two years ago that I parked with the top down and someone threw a little plastic container of tzatziki sauce that opened up and splashed all over the passenger seat. That's the only act of vandalism I've experienced with that car.

However, the BMW roundel tends to set some people off even more, but I still park it with the top up and windows down.

Appreciate 0