ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03chu View Post
I'm in need of rotors (all 4)

Can anyone fill me in, cliffnotes*, why I would purchase 2 front RB rotors for $720 vs getting all 4 Z4m OEM's from Tischer online for $788?

Aside from the thicker / ventilated performance which the rotors offer, is there anything I'm missing?

Pending a nudge from a knowledgeable member and I'll be on the groupbuy!
I think just the fact that you can re-use the rotor hat with the RB product. The next time you need new rotors, you would just have to purchase the replacement rings that attach to your existing rotor hats. And starting at replacement rotor ring #1, you'll already be paying less overall as compared to OEM rotors. At least that's what I remember from like a year or so ago when I was considering getting RB stuff for the then future
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03chu View Post
I'm in need of rotors (all 4)

Can anyone fill me in, cliffnotes*, why I would purchase 2 front RB rotors for $720 vs getting all 4 Z4m OEM's from Tischer online for $788?

Aside from the thicker / ventilated performance which the rotors offer, is there anything I'm missing?

Pending a nudge from a knowledgeable member and I'll be on the groupbuy!
They're two piece rotors, you only need to replace the rotor rings in the future. Two piece rotors perform better than the semi-two piece OEM rotors.

If you read through my first post you'll see all the cliff notes. Rotors run much cooler than stock...cooler equals longer lasting components and less change of brake fade. RB rotors are harder the oem. Harder equals more resiliant and longer lasting components. TheHACK had put 4000 TRACK miles on his rotors and they were still going after 4 years of abuse. I have never heard of a OEM rotor lasting that long. Most people that track OEM rotors have to replace them fairly frequently in comparison.

I'm working on RB to include the rear rotors at a later date, they are currently working on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
They're two piece rotors, you only need to replace the rotor rings in the future. Two piece rotors perform better than the semi-two piece OEM rotors.

If you read through my first post you'll see all the cliff notes. Rotors run much cooler than stock...cooler equals longer lasting components and less change of brake fade. RB rotors are harder the oem. Harder equals more resiliant and longer lasting components. TheHACK had put 4000 TRACK miles on his rotors and they were still going after 4 years of abuse. I have never heard of a OEM rotor lasting that long. Most people that track OEM rotors have to replace them fairly frequently in comparison.

I'm working on RB to include the rear rotors at a later date, they are currently working on them.
Thanks for the reply. Thanks Mfanatic!

I would be interested in the complete set + pads / free studs.

i will def decide in a couple days and get on the groupbuy.
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

How much do the OEM rotors last (street not track)? Asking to see if it's worth it for me to pick these up at GB price, or if I should just wait until I need to replace them.
      09-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Actually, OEM lasted me a hell of a long time. I got my car with 17k miles from the previous owner, and looking at the maintenance record, they had never been replaced before; only the pads had been provided under warranty. I proceeded to put on many street miles and several track days before they were worn down to spec enough for the stealershit to replace for me. That was at almost 30k miles, and not before I completely raped them at Laguna Seca (literally trying to fade the crap out of them for the last two track days out). So all in all, if street driven only, I'm willing to bet that with proper bed-in and usage, OEM rotors can last at least 30k miles on their own. So they're not shabby at all, even at their commanding price point.

And if it's true that RBs are even better, I'd splurge for higher performance AND cheaper in the long run.
However, if I were certain to not have any track days whatsoever, I'd just stick with OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
How much do the OEM rotors last (street not track)? Asking to see if it's worth it for me to pick these up at GB price, or if I should just wait until I need to replace them.
It really depends on how aggressive you drive and what pads you're running. Assuming OEM pads and typical M driver, 25-35k miles maybe...I've heard some go upwards of 50-60k miles and some less than 20k. It all really depends...

Know though that RB rotors should last double if not longer than OEM. Like the OP states, one member had the RB rotors for 4 years and 4000 miles of track duty with miles of life left. No way OEM rotors would do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Signed up. We need 3 more! great price.
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm approaching 66,000 miles and I'm still on my stock rotors / pads.

Car has never seen the track, but the stock's last quite a while.

With the groupbuy and the discounts, you're pretty much paying 300$ more for a set of Racing brake, high performance rotors that simply twice as durable.

I'm sure the oem's will last just fine. As of now I'm sold on the racing brakes.

Any z4m owners that currently has RB can perhaps elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
kalare
Private
Rep

Update!

Anyone signed up here for GB is eligible for the same discount for PU kit and rear two piece rotor that will be available later.

It's awesome that RB will allow those of us who participate now to purchase later at the same discount, even if they don't sell 10 PU kits or rear rotors.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Beta,

My OEM rotors/pads is at 61k now. It is probably still good on street still, but will not trust them on track.

RB rotors have advantages over stock. It is stronger, 2 piece designed, and more even cooling. Stock setup is fine for street. My view is why not upgrade to better components when cost factor minimal. I figure its better to have more braking power.

The option for PU upgrade is very thoughtful of RB. With discount, a complete rotors/pads/calipers are slightly over $1800 for front axle. I can get complete F/R for same as some other BBK for one axle.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
kalare
Private
Rep

8 in, 2 more to go for 20%!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Still on the fence, but leaning heavily towards this because of the PU upgrade path.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #35
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
50k for me (oem rotors and first set of pads)

with really aggressive driving and a few track days. i really should have swapped some track pads in there but i am VERY impressed with how well the oem braking system is on our cars.

i was doing some research on replacing my braking system now that i have a decent lip on my rotors and my pads are cooked - and i recall The Hack saying we probably have the best braking system from the BMW factory.
      09-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #36
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
i was doing some research on replacing my braking system now that i have a decent lip on my rotors and my pads are cooked - and i recall The Hack saying we probably have the best braking system from the BMW factory.
The Hack also runs RB 2 piece rotors

Just FYI guys, RB is also planning a PU upgrade for the rears as well...so you'll have upgrade paths for all 4 corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

I'm in.

The PU upgrade kit was just too tempting. Damn you Kalare, you come over to this forum and the next thing I know I'm spending more money!

I asked about the "complete kit" the oversize BBK (360x30 - Same as M3) since I'll probably do the PU upgrade with the rotors. I have a sense that it's overkill, and unless there's something similar available for the rear there are probably bias issues. Not budget minded either, like the regular PU upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #38
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm in.

The PU upgrade kit was just too tempting. Damn you Kalare, you come over to this forum and the next thing I know I'm spending more money!

I asked about the "complete kit" the oversize BBK (360x30 - Same as M3) since I'll probably do the PU upgrade with the rotors. I have a sense that it's overkill, and unless there's something similar available for the rear there are probably bias issues. Not budget minded either, like the regular PU upgrade.
They will have the E9x M3 rear rotors with PU upgrade as well, though I do think it's overkill unless you're all out racing. I'm very much considering PU upgrade on all 4 corners, but with stock 345/328 sized rotors.

9 down, 1 to go! Almost there!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #39
kalare
Private
Rep

10 people in, we're now at 20% discount! Time to sign up before the GB ends.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #40
kalare
Private
Rep

Someone has pulled out unfortunately...still need one more for 20%. Come on guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Bump!

Just need one more for the 20% discount! That will drop the effective price to $577 per pair of rotors or $288.50/rotor! $712 (list price) - $30 (pad delete) - $105 (wheel stud kit value) = $577. Remember, these rotors are 2mm thicker than stock, and have a 2mm runout to replacement vs. 1.6mm for stock. Hats are reusable, only rings are replaced. Should have a much longer life than stock.

Getting in on the Rotors also qualifies you for the upgrade to 4 piston BBK at a cost of $1,184 (which is a steal).

Getting in on the GB also qualifies rear rotors and rear BBK at the 20% discount prices as well.

Heck, there's even an upgrade path (using same hats and BBK calipers) to larger E90 M3 sized rotors!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #42
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Bump!

Just need one more for the 20% discount! That will drop the effective price to $577 per pair of rotors or $288.50/rotor! $712 (list price) - $30 (pad delete) - $105 (wheel stud kit value) = $577. Remember, these rotors are 2mm thicker than stock, and have a 2mm runout to replacement vs. 1.6mm for stock. Hats are reusable, only rings are replaced. Should have a much longer life than stock.

Getting in on the Rotors also qualifies you for the upgrade to 4 piston BBK at a cost of $1,184 (which is a steal).

Getting in on the GB also qualifies rear rotors and rear BBK at the 20% discount prices as well.

Heck, there's even an upgrade path (using same hats and BBK calipers) to larger E90 M3 sized rotors!
Good points!

Also note that in addition to 25% more wear till minimum (which gives an automatic 25% more life) the following is also true:
-OEM ZCP/MZ4 has been tested at 145 Brinell hardness, RB tested at mid 190's
-RB will run cooler than an OEM ZCP/MZ4 rotor
-Most reviews of their rotors online consistently say they get longer life out of the rotors, including one member who has these exact rotors.

Add it all up and I wouldn't be surprised if you got double the life of the OEM rotor.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

What is the price?

RacingBrake GB thread says :
Quote:
20% discount for 10 or more orders, your discounted total will be $711.91 a pair (a saving of $177.98)
later on it says :
Quote:
Bottom line cost:

If we get 10 people, less the brake pads (-$30) with free wheel stud conversion kit (-$105), your final cost for a pair of true light weight high performance rotors will be:

$712-$30-$105 = $577 per pair or $288.50/rotor
Now I don't need the stud kit, and I don't want the brake pads... Is my cost 577$ or 682$ (no brake pads -30$) ?

I think I know what they are trying to say... I get a gift of wheel studs so "I save" 105$. But my cost remains 712$ - 30$ (no pads) : 682$

And who can convince me I need/want this Progressive Upgrade Kit (PU)?

Oh and the GB thread makes the mistake again of quoting 577$ for rotors :
Quote:
So assume we get 10 or more orders (2 pc or 2 pc+PU), then your PU kit cost will be $1480-$296 (20% off) = $1,184. Your final discounted brake kit cost = $1,184 + $577 = $1,761
Maybe it is 577$ instead of 682$...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #44
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Tony, the total cost to you, if we get the 20% discount, is $682 for both front rotors without pads. The "effective cost" is $577, because they're throwing in a set of wheels studs they're valuing at $105 dollars. (Meh, but it is worth something, and having these makes changing wheels super easy.)

The real value here isn't just the discount, but the additional rotor thickness and 2mm wear factor. Turner has new stock type rotors for $524, which is a 158 dollar difference. I think OEM runs about the same price. But the RBs have 25% greater wear capacity, are slotted not drilled, and reported to be harder (denser). So actual durability may be higher than just the 25% great wear factor.

I'm getting the PU upgrade for several reasons. First, because it should have a better pedal feel. Second, swapping pads (street -> track -> street) with the stock calipers is getting old and it's a relative breeze with the PU calipers. Third, I can't lie that about the fact that they just look damn cool. Fourth, the rear PU upgrade (and rotor) will really make swapping pads on all 4 wheels a breeze, and should really improve feel.
Appreciate 0