ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #45
steveayd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe

I love this car. So few floating around.

I went out to dinner late last night in a nicer part of Northern Jersey, and parked the car. As I pulled up this beautiful, name branded woman eyed my car (while standing outside by herself). As I got out she looked at me and was like that looks like your daddy's car (mind you I am a 33 yo professional). Needless to say, she's a dime a dozen. But as I walked away in my torn jeans, and superman t-shirt (I dressed up for the occasion). Her husband walked out of the restaurant, they were leaving, he looked, stopped at the car, walked around to the back, she paid no attention to it, and kept walking.

I didn't even eat after that, it was so sweet, I just had my desert. DarkStarZero, you are certainly onto something.

Plus, early this morning, as I went to go get coffee and bagels, a brand new Vette convertible, pulled up beside me at the light, looks over and gives me the dude, head nod and thumbs up, and gingerly pulls away. I have a new respect for vette owners now.

As for the Nismo 370Z, the m will likely beat it stock to stock (remembering, its not how fast you go, its how you go fast). But who cares, if you drive a Nismo 370z, you are a certain kind of person, that likely doesn't know what a BMW M Coupe is, or ever would drive one. Sometimes doing nothing in a line up is more powerful than cranking the gears. However, if the race demons inside win, and you punch it, let us know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #46
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Moral of the story is you aren't a teenager anymore and thus don't need to prove your manhood with some stoplight hijinx.
+10

it's always been my understanding that horsepower wins in straight lines. Since these cars are pretty much even in taht department it's going to be driver's skill. That said, if you found a baron 1/4 mile strip of road the winner of that race would be whomever lifted off the gas first. If you really want to shut the kid up, track it. smoke him in the turns, and when you come back around after, that's that. Don't do it on the streets. It's dangerous, you could mess up your ride (at a minimum) and then there'd be one less Z4MR out there, and most importantly, it gives BMW drivers bad rep.
      07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #47
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

so now with the off topic topic.

I live in a pretty small Texas town, so this car is SUPER rare. I've seen a few Z4s rollin around and I've come across 3 M3s so far. I get looks from guys, but convos from chicks. and yes, i'm married. firstly, when we were at the stealership, my wife went ga-ga over the sight of this car. She doesn't do that for anything. the kids on base (i'm stationed at a training base, so lots of youngins just coming in the AF) stare at it thinking it's an officer driving and then when they see I'm enlisted, that's when the necks start craning. I've had, i'd say, 50/50 guy to girl check-outage. but like i said, it's the girls who come up and talk or even just say nice ride. the guys, i think, are too jealous to give me props. And that's more than enough for me
      07-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #48
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

007MCoupe that's almost surprising that the other enlisted would be all surprised that one of their own had one. I was recently working at a Army base in Alaska and whenever the young soldiers got back from a tour playing with haji they'd go out and buy all brand new cars, most of them worth a ton more than our Z4Ms. A 20-yr-old buck private with a new Escalade is definitely a sight to behold. They wouldn't give a second glance to whatever sweet I was driving at the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #49
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
007MCoupe that's almost surprising that the other enlisted would be all surprised that one of their own had one. I was recently working at a Army base in Alaska and whenever the young soldiers got back from a tour playing with haji they'd go out and buy all brand new cars, most of them worth a ton more than our Z4Ms. A 20-yr-old buck private with a new Escalade is definitely a sight to behold. They wouldn't give a second glance to whatever sweet I was driving at the time.
ha yeah. this was my post-deployment present. but since this is a training base, there's tons of officers here. over the past 2 years i've seen 2 lotus elise's, a BMW 850, and quite a few Mercedes', all of which were officer owned. most of the young bucks around here all have their v6 mustangs and camaros and of course the over abundance of civics with the primer paint scheme and trash can mufflers. and since i'm in the AF and not the army, there's a lot of haters since it's not like a family like the army is.
      07-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #50
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
. and since i'm in the AF and not the army, there's a lot of haters since it's not like a family like the army is.
I've always wondered why it's like that. Is there a specific reason for the lack of camaraderie?
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #51
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
I've always wondered why it's like that. Is there a specific reason for the lack of camaraderie?
i've been in 8 years and wondered that. i think it's just because the AF is so young and we don't quite have the heritage built like the army and marines do. There's certain career fields that are proud, maintainers for one but as a whole the AF just doesn't have the same family ties as our sister service.
      07-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #52
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep

All the GSes that were AF-retired would always say how easy and lax it was when they were in...almost country club-like after basic heh.

But yeah I can definitely understand if they were only used to officers being the sweet stuff, my post didn't really have anything insane just tons of expensive ass trucks...which don't tend to stand out unless they are all dunked-out.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #53
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All the GSes that were AF-retired would always say how easy and lax it was when they were in...almost country club-like after basic heh.

But yeah I can definitely understand if they were only used to officers being the sweet stuff, my post didn't really have anything insane just tons of expensive ass trucks...which don't tend to stand out unless they are all dunked-out.
yeah i'm not gonna lie...us "Zoomies" have it pretty easy...
      07-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #54
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep

Hehe I can't comment one way or the other on that, was just hearsay. Regardless you need to leave some nice rubber strips down one of the runways
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #55
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hehe I can't comment one way or the other on that, was just hearsay. Regardless you need to leave some nice rubber strips down one of the runways
funny thing about that?? I'm on one of like 3 AF Bases without an active flight line...but I've been scoping out some new parking lots, pre-paint...heh
      07-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #56
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
We used to joke that the only nice cars on military bases belonged to E-3s and O-4s. For some E-3s, their military pay was the first pay check they'd ever gotten, and they spend it all on an 8% 6 year loan. Officers usually wait until they have the pay to afford it (I couldn't). All this went out the window when I got stationed at a jet base, where every other JO's car is a Vette, Porsche, or Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #57
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
funny thing about that?? I'm on one of like 3 AF Bases without an active flight line...but I've been scoping out some new parking lots, pre-paint...heh
We had an active flight line and actually held drags on them, fully supported by the base commander
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We had an active flight line and actually held drags on them, fully supported by the base commander
NICE. When I was stationed in GA we used to drag on the flightline at night...but the base commander wasn't so open. lol couple of guys got caught (luckily i wasn't there that night) b/c an F-15 was coming in and ATC saw them on a run. haha. I was rollin

Oh...And sorry!!!
      07-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #59
xJxDx0926
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I don't think that's true.

The Z4[M] is NOT a chick magnet,
I disagree. Bitches love my M
      07-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #60
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJxDx0926 View Post
I disagree. Bitches love my M
I think girls in general like convertibles/roadsters more...

...because they are chick cars.

J/P

Who knows. Maybe I'm just ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #61
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
"most of the time" is right haha- also, Ricky Stanzi is a scrub
I couldn't agree more. That dude is a straight up tool.

And I find that girls and guys alike both dig the Zed here. Maybe that is because of the lack of many "nice" sportscars aside from vettes and the new influx of camaros.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 07-13-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #62
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

If you go to Car and Driver and look up the 370z Nismo you'll see it has a really bad braking problem, they crashed one in the lighting lap because brakes suddenly and completely gave out. Also best they got 0-60 was 5.2 which is slower than stock 370 and a QM time of only 13.5. Their test of the 06 Z4M showed a 4.7 sec 0-60 and a 13.2 QM..
If you race in a canyon beware of leading with a Nismo behind you into a hard breaking turn!;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #63
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

yeah i read about the Nismo's braking problem as well... and as for the canyons, i live on Long Island, so i won't be worrying about that lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #64
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl View Post
If you go to Car and Driver and look up the 370z Nismo you'll see it has a really bad braking problem, they crashed one in the lighting lap because brakes suddenly and completely gave out. Also best they got 0-60 was 5.2 which is slower than stock 370 and a QM time of only 13.5. Their test of the 06 Z4M showed a 4.7 sec 0-60 and a 13.2 QM..
If you race in a canyon beware of leading with a Nismo behind you into a hard breaking turn!;-)
I read the braking issue is easily solved with different pads....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #65
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
as for the canyons, i live on Long Island, so i won't be worrying about that lol
Maybe not today, but you will worry about them The Day After Tomorrow from driving your gas-guzzling non-hybrid!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #66
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I read the braking issue is easily solved with different pads....
Yep C&D retested the Nismo with the new pads and confirmed it did not crash into a barrier. I believe the brakes still faded badly on the track, but didn't give completely out at least. For pure lap after lap performance I'm definitely going to say our cars would win out as it's built for that kind of stuff.
Appreciate 0