ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #23
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
+1
traded punches with one on the track last year.
I imagine it'd be fairly even there too. Those are pretty impressive cars from what I understand. Not sure if it's as stable on elevation changes or over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #24
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

meh- 370's a great car, but oil temps and viscous lsd means they last only a couple of laps on the track before they go limp.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Nissan inflates their hp numbers; I'll see if I can find the article I read about the Nismo not living up to its power claims.

What you should do is get a smoking hot 110 lb girl to ride in your passenger seat. Tell him all Z4s have one (where is his?)... something about the interior/looks of the thing. It's almost like it comes standard with the car; they flock to it like moths to a light. That way if you lose, you can blame it on the chick. I'm partial to Asians myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #26
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Not necessarily correct. The OP never said what year the Nismo was but if it is a 370z Nismo and not a 350z, the engine has 350 hp. The standard 370z has 333 HP. Still has the weight you mention but the HP is quite a bit higher.
I am not talking about the 370z. The post I quoted was about a guy with a 350z roadster. I understand the OP's post is referring to the lighter, more powerful 370z NISMO which has 350hp and a similar weight(even though Motorweek said it took 5.3 second 0-60 which is still slower than an M Roadster.)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Nissan inflates their hp numbers; I'll see if I can find the article I read about the Nismo not living up to its power claims.

What you should do is get a smoking hot 110 lb girl to ride in your passenger seat. Tell him all Z4s have one (where is his?)... something about the interior/looks of the thing. It's almost like it comes standard with the car; they flock to it like moths to a light. That way if you lose, you can blame it on the chick. I'm partial to Asians myself.
Haha It's funny you should mention that bc My girlfriend was in the car with me the last few times he was itching to race... Now that i think about it, i've never seen ANYONE in his passenger seat, much less some busty cutie. Oh well, i guess he'll learn eventually that girls only like rice in the Fast and the Furious
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #28
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

1 for the FWIW department. This past spring I attended a basic driver's training course sponsered by the local BMW CCA. There was quite an assortment of cars - numerous M3's, 1 M5, a pair of Z3M coupes (the only ones I've ever seen in person), a pair of Z4 3.0i's, my Z4Mr and 4 Mini's. For other marques, there was a couple Miata's - one in race trim driven by a chick doing a great job, a VW something or other, a POS Ford Probe (that driver drifted like a pro!) - AND - a 370 Nismo, a Cayman S coupe, and an 06 'vette roady.
I heard lots of ooh's and aah's about the Nismo, the Porsche and the 'Vette. I never heard a single comment about the Z3 coupes (I don't care for the "clown shoe" look - but I appreciate the car for what it is) - or my ///M.
Last weekend I attended a party. Parked side by side were - from left to right - my ///Mr, a Miata, and a Mercedes CLK320. Again, several comments about the "line of fancy sports cars" whilest staring at the Merc. While I was chatting with the Miata owner right there in front of the cars - she is a doctor - she stared at the Merc with that glassy-eyed look.
My (or any "M") will out perform a Miata or CLK320. So why does it seem that BMW Ms don't get recognition from non-M owners?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #29
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
1 for the FWIW department. This past spring I attended a basic driver's training course sponsered by the local BMW CCA. There was quite an assortment of cars - numerous M3's, 1 M5, a pair of Z3M coupes (the only ones I've ever seen in person), a pair of Z4 3.0i's, my Z4Mr and 4 Mini's. For other marques, there was a couple Miata's - one in race trim driven by a chick doing a great job, a VW something or other, a POS Ford Probe (that driver drifted like a pro!) - AND - a 370 Nismo, a Cayman S coupe, and an 06 'vette roady.
I heard lots of ooh's and aah's about the Nismo, the Porsche and the 'Vette. I never heard a single comment about the Z3 coupes (I don't care for the "clown shoe" look - but I appreciate the car for what it is) - or my ///M.
Last weekend I attended a party. Parked side by side were - from left to right - my ///Mr, a Miata, and a Mercedes CLK320. Again, several comments about the "line of fancy sports cars" whilest staring at the Merc. While I was chatting with the Miata owner right there in front of the cars - she is a doctor - she stared at the Merc with that glassy-eyed look.
My (or any "M") will out perform a Miata or CLK320. So why does it seem that BMW Ms don't get recognition from non-M owners?

2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings

Last edited by mousitch; 07-09-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #30
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
^ LOLOLOLOL greatest pic of all time
      07-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #31
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
I don't think that's true.

The Z4[M] is NOT a chick magnet, for sure (neither is the 370Z). I get probably 10 times as many dudes giving my car attention as girls.

That said, attention is abundant. For whatever reason, it's always older men and women. If I had a dime for every time some hot chick complimented my car...well, I wouldn't have a lot of money.

And a CLK320? Really? It's about as uninspiring as they come.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #32
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
The Z4[M] is NOT a chick magnet, for sure (neither is the 370Z).
I agree - and I would expect more dudes to appreciate ANY M.

Quote:
again, I don't disagree with you, but it did garner the most attention.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #33
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Every now and then I park the M Coupe outside a coffee shop, take a seat and watch peoples reactions to the car. This is in Northern VA where Porsches are as common as utility vans so people see sports cars all day long. But they don't see M Coupes

This is what happens, almost always. If a girl and a guy walk past, the guy looks, girl doesn't. Sometimes the guy will stop and check it out for a bit, they always walk around back and look at the back end. The girl keeps walking for a bit, stops, turns around and does that 'uh, come on...' look. Those are the best because it happens so often that's it's completely predictable. If a girl or guy are walking alone, they look and keep walking. If girls are walking together, they don't look at all. If guys are walking together, they sometimes stop for a little bit, walk around to the back of the car, and then argue about how much horsepower it has.

What's interesting is that girls only check out the car when they're alone. I don't know why that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #34
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Every now and then I park the M Coupe outside a coffee shop, take a seat and watch peoples reactions to the car. This is in Northern VA where Porsches are as common as utility vans so people see sports cars all day long. But they don't see M Coupes

This is what happens, almost always. If a girl and a guy walk past, the guy looks, girl doesn't. Sometimes the guy will stop and check it out for a bit, they always walk around back and look at the back end. The girl keeps walking for a bit, stops, turns around and does that 'uh, come on...' look. Those are the best because it happens so often that's it's completely predictable. If a girl or guy are walking alone, they look and keep walking. If girls are walking together, they don't look at all. If guys are walking together, they sometimes stop for a little bit, walk around to the back of the car, and then argue about how much horsepower it has.

What's interesting is that girls only check out the car when they're alone. I don't know why that is.

really? i've gotten a lot more compliments from girls than guys about my car. but then again, where i live most of the girls here dig bmw's for the tag more so than anything
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #35
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

I have no unique insights into the feminine psyche, but based on my experience, women are more sensitive to color and nuances of shape than men are. The lighter a car's color, the easier it is to perceive sublminal design cues in a car's shape.

My point is, that controlling for color would be necessary if anybody was conducting some sort of scientific experiment regarding the aphrodisiac qualities of cars.

I'm a lot more sure of the following: Men think that women care a lot more about the car a guy is driving than they actually do. And if they do care, it's usually about something that men would consider inconsequential (OOOOHHH, what cool pinstripes!).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #36
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB View Post
I have no unique insights into the feminine psyche, but based on my experience, women are more sensitive to color and nuances of shape than men are. The lighter a car's color, the easier it is to perceive sublminal design cues in a car's shape.

My point is, that controlling for color would be necessary if anybody was conducting some sort of scientific experiment regarding the aphrodisiac qualities of cars.

I'm a lot more sure of the following: Men think that women care a lot more about the car a guy is driving than they actually do. And if they do care, it's usually about something that men would consider inconsequential (OOOOHHH, what cool pinstripes!).
+1
you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #37
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB View Post
it's usually about something that men would consider inconsequential (OOOOHHH, what cool pinstripes!).
Not to get too far OT, but when I saw everyone freaking out about wanting a side reflector delete I thought, "Who the hell cares? I wouldn't have even noticed it!" A few days later the girl I am seeing told me (out of the blue) how much better the M would look without those side reflectors. They certainly notice different things.

I've had plenty of attention from girls, but it's usually on Saturday nights. During the normal work week, people are stressed and too preoccupied to concern themselves with every car they pass. On the weekends when everyone is in party mode, sports cars get more attention. The funny thing is my old 3.0i got a lot more comments from girls than my M, probably because it had HIDs and fog lights and was a BMW sports car. It might also be because the Z4 has now been out for 7 years, and back then it was a lot newer.

Most girls DO care about what car you drive, and they would hate to admit it for fear of how that would make them look. That's not to say they would look past a character flaw to ride in a Z4. It's about the whole picture, and a cool car is certainly weighs in as a positive for us bachelors. Different cars attract different girls, just like different clothes do as well. But, thinking a car will get a girl that was otherwise unattainable is about as pointless as thinking a cooler job will do the same. A cool car will earn you points; a crappy one will take a few away. Playing up your car will take all your points away.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #38
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Back to the topic at hand, any 370Z would be a very good match for the Z4M in a straight line. In the hands of auto journalists they typically run a 13.2-13.6 1/4 mile, which is right on par with our cars and totally in line with the almost identical power-to-weight ratio.

Having said all that, a race will come down solely to the driver. You can have an Enzo but lose to a Geo Metro if you mess up the launch and shifts bad enough. Moral of the story is you aren't a teenager anymore and thus don't need to prove your manhood with some stoplight hijinx.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I know this is off topic but I saw a red Enzo today and HE gave ME a thumbs up when I was in the M coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Now that sir is rather pimp
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #41
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
I don't think that's true.

The Z4[M] is NOT a chick magnet, for sure (neither is the 370Z). I get probably 10 times as many dudes giving my car attention as girls.

That said, attention is abundant. For whatever reason, it's always older men and women. If I had a dime for every time some hot chick complimented my car...well, I wouldn't have a lot of money.

ROFL, definitely a dude magnet.

I get more comments from dudes on my Z4 MC than I did on my 10th Aniv Edition '03 Cobra, which was both a dude and chick magnet, heh.

My GF loves it though. She says it reminds her of an elegant, purposeful 60's musclecar (she loves muscle cars)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #42
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Moral of the story is you aren't a teenager anymore and thus don't need to prove your manhood with some stoplight hijinx.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #43
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I do notice that the girls on the back of Harleys tend to look at my car with the type of "Damn I wish he/we had got one of those" kind of stares. Almost an 'Anywhere but here' sort-of look. :-)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #44
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

Returning back to the original off topic subject, I once had a girl in my car for a first date who first gave me a load of crap about having a BMW (think of how many poor, starving children could have been fed for the price of that car, etc., which made me uncomfortable, because she made a valid point, even though it's just an old 3 series).

But the real coup d'grace was the radar detector. She could not stop giving me grief about having a device on my car that was deliberately designed to help me break the law with impunity.

By the time we were finished with dinner, her misgivings had given way to more immediate carnal concerns, but by that time I was so pissed off at her priggish self-righteousness, I dropped her off at home, and all subsequent attempts to apologize were deleted from my voice mailbox.
Appreciate 0