ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Waterford Hills Track Facility

I'm wondering if any of you have tracked you car at Waterford Hills in Clarkston, MI.? If so, how was the experience? Im considering giving the open track day a shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I've been to Waterford Hills, but never driven there.
I'm planning to attend the BMW-CCA event there later this summer.
      04-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
You know, I'm curious about roadsters on the track. It looks as though Waterford will allow roadsters, but the Motor City Chapter of the BMWCCA states that roadsters are not allowed. Is this the case? I'm up in Midland, and have considered driving down for the event(s).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

I've been to Waterford once, to watch. Happened to see the aftermath of an E36 M3 go face-first into a wall...

I'm interested in joining in. It's been a while but I've autocrossed before. Complete n00b on a track.

Last edited by J-Spec Dan; 04-09-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep

Face first into a wall you say? Hmmm....I've seen video of runs at Waterford, and think I know the wall you're talking about. That's the thing that keeps me wondering if I should try ANY track. I couldn't afford the time or money to fix the damage, should there be any. I suppose you'd have to budget for it and/or get "track insurance" which I would need to research and see what, if any, is available. I hesitate to call my agent. They might just raise my rates at the mention of the word "Track"

More research to be done for sure and I think that joining the local BMWCCA might be a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Face first into a wall you say? Hmmm....I've seen video of runs at Waterford, and think I know the wall you're talking about. That's the thing that keeps me wondering if I should try ANY track. I couldn't afford the time or money to fix the damage, should there be any. I suppose you'd have to budget for it and/or get "track insurance" which I would need to research and see what, if any, is available. I hesitate to call my agent. They might just raise my rates at the mention of the word "Track"

More research to be done for sure and I think that joining the local BMWCCA might be a good place to start.
That particular event was a timed one-lap event. Kinda like an autocross but on the track. From what Adam (nmulax) told me this past weekend, BMWCCA will divide drivers up into three groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Here's more info: LINK

I don't think you have to worry about what happened to that particular E36 with these untimed events. It's all about learning to read the course with an instructor.
      04-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep

Thanks J-Spec Dan! Sounds like it will be a good event for me. Just what I'm looking for. And thanks for the link as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Track events are you what you make of them within the confines of how the group running the event manages those in the various run groups. If they are strict on their rules and the drivers under that and don't try to get to 11/10's, there is generally no problems. My advise to anyone considering a track event is to plan on restraining yourself to 8/10's and understand you can have an incident.