ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

SoundPlicity? audio integration

I have an 08, with the AUX so I can stream music off my iPhone, but I'm growing tired of the wires and non integration into the car..also I'd like it to charge my phone..

is this what I need? easy to install?

I have the premium HIFi w/ DSP..

http://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/Buy-Now/

All my other cars I've upgraded speakers, subs, amps...my M I'd rather hear the exhaust..but I can't stand the wires..and sub par sound Via AUX connection..

| 2008 Interlagos Blue Z4MC |
| AA Tuning | RPI Scoop | H&R Sport Springs | Sportline CS 16 CSL Wheels | Magna Flow Custom Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Yes, either of those should do. The middle and most expensive ones certainly look like they are made by Dice. Some folks have issues with them and things like song display are a little "wonky" once in a while (I do). Which ever option you go with requires digging into the rear of your car to find the CD changer wiring.

Give Bavsound a call and talk to them. Good guys
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

I'm looking for a good solution myself. I've spoken with Bavsound, and their units are the ones made by Dice, but Bavsound claims to offer better tech support, which is a good thing from what I've read about Dice.

FWIW, if you read the Amazon reviews, almost everybody has bad things to say about the sound quality over blutooth, although the wired is said to sound good. If you are looking sound quality on par with a good wired connection, I'd look elsewhere. It's my opinion that a wired connection is the way to go if you really want CD level sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
dcun201
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I just got my Grom Usb Audio installed with the optional BT dongle for wireless music streaming. The USB audio sounds very close to CD quality since it uses your car's factory DAC. The direct wired AUX input sounded a little wash out compare to the direct USB input since its using your phone/mp3 players DAC which are not really optimize for car speakers. Bluetooth sounded the worst out of those 3 options. If you want convenient of no wires then the sound is ok for casual listening.

Here is my rating out for the 3 options, 10 being cd quality

Direct USB input = 10
Aux = 8 (Bass is washed out when I use this option but the voals are good)
Bluetooth Stream = 6.5 (Vocals and Bass are washed out at high volume)

My setup is the factory Carver hi-fi DSP no nav.

I am assuming the Soundplicity/dice unit bluetooth should be similar to the grom in sound quality wise. If you are getting it for just bluetooth streaming u may get disappointed in the sound quality if you are used to cd quality music.

Just my 2cent
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
1 Word

Intravee
      08-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
1 Word

Intravee
From what I could gather, the Intravee looked pretty slick, but the concerns I had were:
1. It takes complete control over your music playback - no way to select playlists or songs directly from the phone, which is a deal killer for me.
2. Older tech. It doesn't work with a direct lightning to USB connection. You have to use a lighting adapter with the 30 pin connector, and charging is not supported without another adapter? This is a bit clunky to me and forwards, compatibility can only get worse. On the site, they talk about the "new" lighting connection - this is almost 3 years/generations old now!

Can you address/confirm either of these concerns? Is looks like a great system in other ways though.

Last edited by funkle; 08-26-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
From what I could gather, the Intravee looked pretty slick, but the concerns I had were:
1. It takes complete control over your music playback - no way to select playlists or songs directly from the phone, which is a deal killer for me.
2. Older tech. It doesn't work with a direct lightning to USB connection. You have to use a lighting adapter with the 30 pin connector, and charging is not supported without another adapter? This is a bit clunky to me and forwards, compatibility can only get worse. On the site, they talk about the "new" lighting connection - this is almost 3 years/generations old now!

Can you address/confirm either of these concerns? Is looks like a great system in other ways though.
Correct on all accounts, I don't think anyone who uses Intravee uses it to charge their iPhone 5. I just throw an old iPod back there and works great. Keep in mind updates are unlikely since the owner passed away a year or two ago. The only reason there continues to be "support" is because someone volunteered to take over the programming. But still, the ability to seemlessly integrate into factory HU/navi, run other devices like Sirius/HD radio, and also "unlock" some factory options that were not available normally make it a great option.
      09-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

I just installed the Soundplicity One in my 07 3.0SI which has the DSP. Works great. The sound is MUCH better than just hooking my Ipod throught he AUX. The install was very simple. The hardest part was to remove those interior fastners on the carpet in the trunk.

Once I got access to the back of the trunk it was just a matter of connecting the 3 and the 6 pin connectors. I ended up drilling a small hole on the back of the storage compartment. I just route the cable through that hole and connect the ipod as I intend to just store my Ipod in there. I used lots of zip-tie to tidy up all the loose cable and wires. I used double sided tape to attach the unit to the back of the existing bracket.
It is working great as my goal is to have a constant way to charge the ipod and be able to use the stock radio system to control the ipod. This fits the bill.
Appreciate 0