ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

GPS Signal works/doesnt work

I have an ongoing issue with the GPS signal. Work fine with great signal on 6-8 satellites and then ... nothing. I thought it was just the Sensor and did the R&R thing. Posted here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433565

But later I noticed problem really had not gone away. I checked the sensor again by moving the sensor cable while in sat track mode and noticed the what seems to be a bad wire. Signal went in and out while I was moving the cable. Seemed like a no brainer.

Since Im still under warranty I took it in to local BMW, told them what was up and after a day they tell me they are going to replace the Nav computer. Not complaining as its free to me but......

I have not got the car fixed yet as they have to ship in the Nav computer. Anyone else have this issue with this result? Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

The Saga.... is over.... til next time

01/28/2011 Got the car back - GPS functions like it ought to now - Not sure if it was Daisy Duke working on my car, wait a min, I think Daisy was pretty good, with cars. Probably Boss Hog was the mech.
The story (good for at least 15 min on Dukes of Hazzard):
Initially they replaced the entire NAV computer. Then I get a call, wanting to know what I had told them earlier as, Surprise, that did not fix the problem. So in my best patient voice I tell the service rep that I saw a hard electrical fault of the the GPS antenna pigtail - signal goes in and out every time I touched it.

Next day, they then tell me they are going to replace the interconnect cable that runs from the NAV computer to the GPS antenna. Now, I'm not so quietly losing my mind and ask to speak to the service manager. I dont particularly relish the thought of them ripping half the interior apart to replace that cable if they have not checked the simplest thing in the loop - the GPS antenna, especially after what I had seen, and told them about- twice, with the hard fault. Finally get a call from the Svc Mngr, yes sir, the GPS antenna was the first thing we checked. Two days later Go to pick up the car and get the invoice.

Quote: "Customer states GPS going in and out at times. Check vehicle to find GPS signal was lost from time to time. Check GPS Sensor with test plan to find GPS sensor OK. Per test plan Nav module faulty. Replace Nav module and reprogram vehicle."

Parts Replaced: NAV computer, GPS Antenna

What they didnt replace was the interconnect cable as they said they would.
So I guess I can pat myself on the back for doing my part in a secret Obama/BMW initiative to spend somebodies money and stimulate the dealer's economy. What was probably a $35.00 problem(cost of a new GPS antenna anywhere but at a BMW dealer) is a $2500 issue at the dealer.
On the positive side my GPS now works All's well that ends well. I just need to get on board with liberal mindset. No, I dont have an opinion, why do you ask?

Last edited by BruceJ; 02-17-2011 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
jimbojsb
Mthusiast
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Garage List
2006 X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2020 M4 Competition  [0.00]
2001 740i  [0.00]
2006 M Roadster  [0.00]
Had a similar issue - mine just randomly started going to all 0's on S/N for every satellite. I got GPS Lock maybe once a week, if i was lucky. I simply unplugged the antenna and plugged it back in, and voila, worked. Required one medium sized phillips screwdriver and about 10 minutes of work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
acarre
anthonyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0SI 2007

Same problem with Z4 2007

Hello,

I have a similar problem on my 2007 3.0si. The GPS goes on/off for no apparent reason. As the car is out of warranty, I don't want to replace the whole NAV system. I tried the tweaking of the cable but it did not work. Do I need to change the GPS antenna? If so, any suggestion on a replacement part?

I looked into Advanced Settings and got the following:
GPS status
- Rec stat = Search
- Tracking Info - Visible satellites 8 (but all with S/N 0)

Sensor check
- GPS satellites = 00
- Gps status = Satellite search

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Replace the antenna and you should be gold. Its a common problem with the antenna. I had the same problem, replaced the antenna and didn't have any more issues. You can find them on ebay, but if a used part is the problem, just buy a new one. Part No. 5

GetBMWParts.com $127.28
      04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
acarre
anthonyc
United_States
Rep

Thank you!

Thanks for the fast response - am out of town but will do and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
jpwbrown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

exactly how does one unplug gps antenna? where would it be located on a '07 Z4 3.01s coupe? pics/video would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The GPS antenna is at the top of the windshield above the rain sensor. You should be able to pop a cover off for the dome lights and get at it. If you remove the sun visors it should allow enough play in the plastic to swap it out.
      04-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
The GPS antenna is at the top of the windshield above the rain sensor. You should be able to pop a cover off for the dome lights and get at it. If you remove the sun visors it should allow enough play in the plastic to swap it out.
What he said.

Unscrew the visors, pull the top trim down, unplug the harness for the dome lights. The GPS antenna is on the driver side of where the dome lights go and its a small grey box. It shouldn't be hard to unclip it and the cable is just a simple plug in connector a couple inches away from the antenna itself. Might have to twist the connector a little bit to get it loose though.
      04-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
acarre
anthonyc
United_States
Rep

Worked perfectly

I finally got to it. Got the part from the site you gave me, and followed the above instructions to change the antenna. It is very easy and I now have 6+ visible satellites and a perfectly working GPS. Thank you Nate4641!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
The Shoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M COUPE

Ive had my nav replaced 3x in my coupe when it was in warranty...to this day it still randomly tells me I am in the atlantic ocean when I am clearly not. I never use it. Ill have to try this antenna replacement.
      03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
andrewj7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe (#40) w/Nav,Sprt,Prem

Is the other end of the antenna connected to the radio head unit or the rear module? I'm asking about a coupe not the convertible
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj7 View Post
Is the other end of the antenna connected to the radio head unit or the rear module? I'm asking about a coupe not the convertible
There is a connector up in the dome light area for the antenna and the other end I assume goes back to the nav computer. Looking into the nav retrofit might help find the answer. I think in the case of a retrofit they say to put the antenna under the dash but it should all lead back to the same place.
      11-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Wayne anthony
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 325 Ci convertible

New to BMWs and this site. Didn't want to buy a BMW but looked at one and wife likes to say Beemer so ended up buying it, and I wanted to finish my life in a convertible. Anyhow, the gps quit working last week and seems like the biggest culpert is the antenna. Where is it located in a 325Ci convertible and is there any way to tell if it is bad? Thanks, Wayne
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Wayne anthony
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 325 Ci convertible

Found the gps antenna behind the instrument panel like it said someplace. Thought the inst. panel would be a problem getting out but just two torque screws. Unplugged the antenna and plugged it back in again, seems to work now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:03 AM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne anthony
Found the gps antenna behind the instrument panel like it said someplace. Thought the inst. panel would be a problem getting out but just two torque screws. Unplugged the antenna and plugged it back in again, seems to work now.
We're Z4 guys so no one here is going to be able to offer much in the way of help with a 325. Try the E90 3 Series area.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #17
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne anthony View Post
New to BMWs and this site. Didn't want to buy a BMW but looked at one and wife likes to say Beemer so ended up buying it, and I wanted to finish my life in a convertible. Anyhow, the gps quit working last week and seems like the biggest culpert is the antenna. Where is it located in a 325Ci convertible and is there any way to tell if it is bad? Thanks, Wayne
Well, if your wife likes to say "Beemer" you bought the wrong thing.

BMW motorcycles are "Beemers", and BMW cars are "Bimmers".
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

...and this is how we've ended up with the current lineup of "Beemer" vehicles. I wonder if P-Car guys feel the same way about the Cayenne and owners referring to them as a "Porsh".
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
...and this is how we've ended up with the current lineup of "Beemer" vehicles. I wonder if P-Car guys feel the same way about the Cayenne and owners referring to them as a "Porsh".
Could be worse - my wife wanted a Kia Soul cause she like the Hamster commercials. This is before the official kiss off from the EPA over false mileage claims. Had to do some fast talking and got her a GMC Terrain with the 6 cyl. She has this knack for picking "le-mons."

Last time I let her just pick she buys a Buick Terraza - the crossover that had just 3 model years before it was discontinued. Took me 2 years to sort out its ABS issues. On that one I knew I was toast as soon as she saw it had 12 cupholders. No kidding, it was her first question.
Good thing she doesn't read this forum.... did I mention I luv my wife, never a dull moment.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I saw a survey years ago that rated deciding factors in choice of cars.
#1 for women was number of cup holders.

I had a GF that bought a Mercury Linx because she liked cats.
To her dismay, it turned out to be a dog.