ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
After subjecting my 2008 3.0 Si to the trials that only winter driving in the northeast can provide...I've decided to get a wheel alignment at a reputable Indy shop in town. Is there anything in particular I should request regarding the specs of the alignment ?
      04-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Read the TIS... Regarding weights in trunk/passenger seat that are required to do a proper alignment. Personally think getting it done at a BMW facility vice an Independant is a wise investment.
      04-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Why?

I wouldn't go to any other shop than my independent shop, for a good alignment. I think it really depends on who you have available to you in a particular area, and the reputation, performance of the shop itself.

The dealer is by no means the best option available in every case. In some, yes, but there are dealers most of us wouldn't trust our lawn mower to.

There are, I believe, several good shops in the ops area. Maybe someone from his home turf will weigh in with some recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Why?.... Because I'd rather not ruin expensive tires with a wheel alignment that wasn't done right. Having had wheel alignments at other Independent/chain shops over the years with my other cars, I have a better feeling with my dealer that it's done right....perhaps because I've met the mechanics and have a good relationship with them due the work I've done on the car myself and the chance to discuss it with them. Perhaps because the dealer has state of the art equipment.

And ... that I also believe that the TIS is right in having the
car weighted to simulate a driver in the car..... That's not going to happen at a chain or Independent....
      04-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

I just actually went through this situation. Ended up finding a reputable german shop but had some issues. After alot of back and forth i just went to the dealership and got good service . YMMV
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Why?.... Because I'd rather not ruin expensive tires with a wheel alignment that wasn't done right. Having had wheel alignments at other Independent/chain shops over the years with my other cars, I have a better feeling with my dealer that it's done right....perhaps because I've met the mechanics and have a good relationship with them due the work I've done on the car myself and the chance to discuss it with them. Perhaps because the dealer has state of the art equipment.

And ... that I also believe that the TIS is right in having the
car weighted to simulate a driver in the car..... That's not going to happen at a chain or Independent....
Again, depends on the shop. Mine follows TIS specs (if asked, I don't run stock specs) and ballast and has state of art equipment. Then again they build race cars. I can think of three other indy shops, plus one independent "tire store" in the area that do excellent work as well--confirmed by any number of enthusiasts I run into on a regular basis on the street or at the track.

The thing is, independent, dealer, it's all about who--the mechanics--are doing the work. I know some pros who can do good work on toe with string, so equipment helps, but it's not by any means a promise of high-quality work.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you want "non-stock" type settings, dealers often won't play ball. Getting them to set your front camber at -3.0 with camber washers and/or plates when the TIS says "-1.0" can be problematic (assuming you want a track alignment, etc.). Some will do it, others won't (we've seen that right here on Zpost) . Again, all depends on who and which dealership (and if you know the shop foreman, and if you've left a case or two of beer in the hatch a time or two).

That's why I think asking around in an area for recommendations is always a smart idea. Dealer, indy, whatever--again, what matters is who does the work and whether it's quality work.

3002 tii is in the op's neck of the woods, tracks his car extensively, and has made recommendations before--I just found them. Here are some he gave a couple of years back. He might have more current recommendations, IDK.

Back to the original question, here's another thread that may help. It's a starting place--depends on what goals are, driving style, AutoX, track use, etc.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-24-2014 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I will agree state of the art equipment is nice, BUT the guy running the equipment is far more important. Its not the name of the shop or the size of the shop its the people! We can all buy the same junk anywhere. We can all get the same crap service anywhere, its the people. If you have found a tech that will do what you need and stand behind his work and take time to talk with you then you found your shop!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
Hey guys..thanks so much for all the feedback and different points of view. After calling the dealership this morning for a quote and discovering its just $75.00 more..($189.00) at the dealership I'm going to go with the slightly more peace of mind that the dealership will stand behind their work if they screw something up. You all had valid points to make and I appreciate them all.
      04-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I've acquired a minimum amount of basic equipment to start doing alignments myself-- camber and toe, anyway.

I've arrived at this situation after getting mixed results at both independent and my local dealership. Both have been willing to give me a custom alignment (I've been using the Dinan specs), though the dealer charges me an hourly rate for the custom alignment rather than the $99-$129 package deal, and from the techs point of view, I can understand why. The dealer has always given me more consistent results, but it ends up costing around $200.

At least if I do it myself, I have only myself to blame when it's not quite right, and assuming I eventually get satisfactory results (haven't done it yet) I should recover the sunk costs pretty quickly, especially as I adjust the front camber before and after each track weekend.
      04-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

that reminds me, the laser allignment system (common in a lot of shops) is only setup for stock suspension and if anything other is installed, you will need to tell them.. now i am not sure that the laser alignment equipment takes into account the weight in the seat and fuel in the tank. since its computerized, id imagine probably so??? i asked, the tech couldent tell me.. lol