ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
Manners226
Racing Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i Blk/Blk 6MT Sport

Yes I did. But it too isn't that great...As far as the 'ol butt dyno, yeah it helped some. Nothing crazy, it breathes easier up top and is a little snappier reving it. I would say it pulls a little harder, but who knows? It's probably just in my head because it sounds faster... It grumbles when you let off the throttle at certain rpms and it is a little racey/nasty above 4 grand, but I like it, the overall volume doesn't reall go up just the tone. These cars make peak TQ right before 3 grand and thats when its the loudest, maybe slightly 'boomy'. It doesn't really drone or have any bad resonance though. I think overall it sounds more 'exotic' than 'ricey' if that makes any sense.

Between removing the secondary charcoal air filter and that stupid plastic half-scoop behind the grill that blocks the intake path and now doing the exhaust, it revs much free-er and you get both intake and exhaust sound when the windows or top are down.

Now here is how I really feel...You would have to 'give' me a really high quality full cat-back exhaust that sounded awesome before I would want to change it from how it is now. I'm pretty content.
      02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manners226 View Post
Yes I did. But it too isn't that great...As far as the 'ol butt dyno, yeah it helped some. Nothing crazy, it breathes easier up top and is a little snappier reving it. I would say it pulls a little harder, but who knows? It's probably just in my head because it sounds faster.
Any plans to throw it on the dyno?
      02-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #25
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

wow that sounds really good mine is way louder and not bearable as a daily driver but yours sounds like it has a quality exhaust on it. pointer for the tips...after playing w/ mine quite a bit it turns out looking the best when it's at least an 1" out from the bumper b/c our bumpers have a C profile from the side

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
Manners226
Racing Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i Blk/Blk 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Any plans to throw it on the dyno?
Yeah, actually. The local sports car club is trying to get a dyno day together this spring, i'd like to go. Unfortunately, I won't have before and afters, but I would still like to see what it makes.

BTW your Z4M looks fantastic man. Beautiful.
      02-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manners226 View Post
Yeah, actually. The local sports car club is trying to get a dyno day together this spring, i'd like to go. Unfortunately, I won't have before and afters, but I would still like to see what it makes.

BTW your Z4M looks fantastic man. Beautiful.
Oh I wish I had a Z4M..... I'm sure krnnerdboy will appreciated the comment anyway.
      05-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #28
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

updates?? get the dyno done?
      05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

so i did the muffler delete on saturday.... wow im glad I did. Sounds AMAZING. Not very loud at all... in fact at idle you barely hear it... but give it just a little bit of gas and it growls! Let off the gas and it has a nice gurgle to it. Definatly a must try for any 3.0i..3.0si owners. no real noticable loss of torque... maybe a little but barely.
      05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris04Z4 View Post
so i did the muffler delete on saturday.... wow im glad I did. Sounds AMAZING. Not very loud at all... in fact at idle you barely hear it... but give it just a little bit of gas and it growls! Let off the gas and it has a nice gurgle to it. Definatly a must try for any 3.0i..3.0si owners. no real noticable loss of torque... maybe a little but barely.
Any drone?
      05-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #31
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

a little but thats just because i have the pipes dumped and not out the back right now... just temporary. I basicly cut the muffler off about 6-8in behind the muffler and got that flex tubing from the parts store and just turned it down a little.... the drone is coming from the metal shield that coats the underbody of the car where the muffler was... The sound gets a little trapped in there.

I can promise that the sound is almost perfect. it sounds a lot like a subi or SRT neon... just not as loud. All i can say is do it.... you will not be disapointed.
      05-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #32
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Chris04Z4;7292482].... the drone is coming from the metal shield that coats the underbody of the car where the muffler was... The sound gets a little trapped in there. QUOTE]
Drone is more of a problem with the coupes due to the large "echo chamber" that we have, that's why I asked. When you finish the mod, let us know your thoughts. Thanks
      10-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #33
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

HELP with Muffler Delete Drone!!

Guys,

In reliance on the positive results posted here for the muffler delete, I did one. I really wanted to lose weight, and figured that a muffler delete would be better than an aftermarket exhaust. I also figured that the OEM muffler would weigh more than the 21# that it did. Either way, my car is 21# lighter (I want to get my car to under 2,800 lbs).

The sound is just fine from outside the car in that it is not too loud, but sounds great. I have before and after videos.

My problem is that I have unacceptable drone between 1,500 and 3,500 rpm. I need to eliminate this. I wonder why my results would vary from the results posted above.

Everything is stock engine/intake/exhaust-wise except for the rear muffler delete.

I can feel some minor vibration under my feet when driving that was not there before, but it is not like anything is loose, but simply the type of resonant vibration that causes drone.

My questions are as follows:

What can I do to eliminate this drone -- considering that others reportedly don't have it? Why would my car be different?

Can I modify the resonator, perhaps like a Magnaflow, to adjust the drone?
Can I adjust the exhaust pipes slightly?

Any assistance or ideas are greatly appreciated.

2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #34
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
How far did you cut back? What sized piping did you replace with?
      10-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #35
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They cut the pipe flush with the OEM muffler inlet and used slightly larger piping. Perhaps 1/4" larger, or about 2-1/4? What are your thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #36
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

This will be my first MOD.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #37
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a quickly made compilation of videos that I will post here shortly.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #38
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm taking a guess here, but I think what you did with the larger diameter pipes was to add megaphones to the exhaust. Keeping in mind that you now have no restriction (muffler) in the section you removed, you could go to a "small" diameter single pipe about 2 1/4" instead of what you have with a 'Y" to dual tips. The flow restriction would be minimal compared to that of the muffler you removed and I think the majority of the resonance would vanish. Larger diameter tubes are not always the best way to go.

An option which I have been considering is a dynomax super turbo muffler in a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch inlet/outlet size. This option came from an interesting article on mufflers and exhaust flow. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...xh/index1.html Down towards the bottom on the left is a series of images (mufflers) and short commentaries which are somewhat informative.

To be up front, I have not personally heard either of the above options, these come from others who I believe have more understanding and experience then I do. As you can tell from my earlier posts, I am aware of and concerned about drone and I still haven't heard/found that just right sound.
      10-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #39
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Incompatible, that is not unreasonable. That is somewhat along the lines of what I did the other day when I purchased some 2-1/4" diameter by 3" long pipes from Autozone and bent the rear parts nearly closed to see what would happen. The drone went away, but the exhaust was very restricted. I guess I could build in an adjustable valve, but I would first prefer to have something that doesn't need to be adjusted. Also, we are skipping the fact that the 2008 has a slightly different engine. I have the M54.

Here is a video anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkGzAPK2qo

Also, Dubbedown, here was this summer in NJ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PI_kWmjX8

Last edited by nlink720; 10-31-2010 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

----

I just realized that a muffler delete, even one that meets sound requirements, is not permitted in STR class. So all this experimentation has been a waste for me.

Hope someone else benefits. I hope the shop can reattach my oem muffler. I think bastuck would be about the only exhaust I would do, but I was primarily after weight savings and not sound, so now that I know my oem muffler weighs 21 lbs I will just reinstall it rather than paying way up for an exhaust that will not drone.

Let me know if I can help anyone who does plan a muffler delete though

Appreciate 0