ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I am getting a new tranny.. do I get tranny oil replaced after 1200 miles?

I've had some issues where it was hard to shift into 2nd and 3rd gears but all other gears were fine. Took it into a dealer and they confirmed it and is giving me a new tranny.
Question is, I know that I should re-follow the break-in procedure to vary RPM and such for the tranny. But do I get the 1200 mile oil change for the tranny so it flushes out the metal shaving?
My SA said the car should be ready either Monday or Tues after they get the tranny from NJ.
      12-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
I've had some issues where it was hard to shift into 2nd and 3rd gears but all other gears were fine. Took it into a dealer and they confirmed it and is giving me a new tranny.
Question is, I know that I should re-follow the break-in procedure to vary RPM and such for the tranny. But do I get the 1200 mile oil change for the tranny so it flushes out the metal shaving?
My SA said the car should be ready either Monday or Tues after they get the tranny from NJ.

Unless the dealer agrees to do so for free I wouldn't worry about it(ask them...). The engine speed variation during the first 1200 miles is for the motor not the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

If it were me, I would probably change it. If I read the maintenance list correctly, it gets replaced at the 1200 mi service. Therefore, I would follow BMWs direction. If it is a new transmission, there may be small metal particles left over from machining the components that need flushed out. You might try posting over at bimmerfest and see if you can get Ron Stygar to weigh in. I would follow his recommendation as he is the guru on these cars.

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
You definitely need to follow the rpm/speed limits just like the car was brand new. The break in period is for the whole drivetrain.