ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #23
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
M3 guys have been dealing with this for a long time, I believe there was a “service action” (ahem recall) at one point. Sucks but it is what it is. The job isn’t actually all that complicated though, most of that front end can be dropped in one piece (pic below). I think I’ll be treating them as a PM item every 50k from now on. Better safe than sorry

Yea no joke, I'm dreading getting that oil analysis as my car has 102,xxx miles and I've driven this car the way it was meant to be driven. Now I'm afraid every time I push down the pedal to accelerate lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
This has been an issue since the beginning of production.
It goes back even further, here in europe we have had the euro s50 since the early-mid 90's and that has the same problem (not strange as it's its predecessor and very similar in build and performance)
I totally missed this then. Perhaps I should've done research on the S54 in the other M's instead of just the Z4M
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

I'll give you Z4M guys credit. To accept replacing internal bearings as the norm is extreme. Now that is dedication to your car. There is no way I could live with that thought in the back of my head every time I drove it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #25
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher3.0si View Post
I'll give you Z4M guys credit. To accept replacing internal bearings as the norm is extreme. Now that is dedication to your car. There is no way I could live with that thought in the back of my head every time I drove it.
And I honestly believed there'd be less maintenance to worry about going the Z4M route vs an '09-'11 Boxster S. Not so sure what to believe anymore as I read about forum members with 100K miles on theirs and then I see this. I also find the idea of having to track this constantly through oil analysis to be frustrating (ain't nobody got time for that).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I also find the idea of having to track this constantly through oil analysis to be frustrating (ain't nobody got time for that).
How would you track it through oil analysis?
That you would find lead in the oil says something is wearing. Not how fast its wearing or what the state its in. And oil change interval plays a major factor in what concentrations you find in the oil.
That the bearings are prone to wear knows everybody.

By the time you detect copper in the oil you're way to late so all those oil analysis reports are useless imho. They give no real information.
Just factor in the replacement every 50k miles like they do in europe (having learned from the euro s50)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #27
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher3.0si View Post
The things we do for love

Frankly, I enjoy wrenching, so in a weird way it’s a good thing for me. These days I’m a software dev, but years ago I was a tech at a Benz dealer (still use my old uniform to work on the Z ). Genuinely look forward to the times I get to work on the car — busted knuckles, sore back, the lot. It’s going to be a dull 50k now that vanos & bearings are done

03-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #28
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
The things we do for love
It’s going to be a dull 50k now that vanos & bearings are done
LOL Well, if you get really bored, come visit NC, and we can do my rod bearings.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6112.00